Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm getting nearer to ordering and am thinking of getting the 1.0 tsi, as I think the 1.5 will be more than we need really. What do folk who have this 1.0 engine think of it in the T-Roc?

Does it pull well enough? Affected by hills? Noisy when revved hard, like up hills (lots round where I live) or quiet? Noisy or quiet in general use? What's it like on motorways? Anything else that you can think of will be appreciated.

On 'paper', 115PS should be good enough, but just want to know what actual owners think in everyday usage.
Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, the 1.0 tsi I had for my test drive was very smooth and quiet, so much so I asked the salesman to lift the bonnet so I could see the engine! I really couldn't believe it was a 3 cylinder engine it was so refined. I'm sure I'll notice my new car will struggle on hills compared to my current 1.4 tsi Golf, but I suspect it will be more refined generally than it. I'll soon find out....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Many reviewers recommend the 1.0 over the 1.5. I only test drove the 1.0 and found it perfectly suited for my needs and are now awaiting it to be delivered. Instead of paying more for the bigger engine I preferred to spend the money on panaromic glass roof, keyless entry and electric tailgate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my T Roc SE 1.0 tsi Indium Grey for 4 weeks now travelled 600miles including couple of long runs and find it to be really quiet and very nippy for such a small engine having had a few VW over the years this is definitely one of their better models, I also added the winter pack, car mats, fog lights and reversing camera. The T Roc was well worth the 12 week delivery time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Having driven Peug 2008 1.2 3cyl for a couple of months, 95bhp nippy but lacked puff with a little weight and speed. Seat Arona 115 bhp likewise excellant around town and local roads but thereafter marginal. On both these units there was some vibration feeding back thro the pedals and floorpan, added to this the constant fussy gear changes with the DSG box to keep the revs. The T Roc however - a better animal all round but also it is a bit heavier. Here we have a more hilly/mountain tapography and they just dont cope without trashing the motor to keep the power as only revs give power with the smaller units.
Maybe I,m old fashioned but 4 is better than 3, 6 is better than 4/5 and so on, and, there is absolutly no substitute for litres. MPG, well that depends on the drivers right foot hence the spurious "guide stories" and something spinning at 4 - 6000 rpm to get up an incline must be using more.
Also, I have heard that the new 1.5 TSI 150 CV has the facility to dispense with 2 cylinders injection for fuel saving should the power not be required which should be worth a bit. :roll:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, very informative.
The 1.0 may well be ok for us by the sound of it, but as 'brid' says it's the revving up the hills - quite a few around here. Dealer has only had 1.5 tsi's as demo's so far so may ask if they can get hold of a 1.0 to try on an extended test.

'Monifieth Angus' - we too have the 1.4 tsi golf, lovely engine with plenty in reserve when needed, which is my concern with the 1.0. We're not in any rush so waiting for a dealer demo is no problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, 1.4 tsi fine engine but 'only' 122 bhp and same torque as 1.0. Having said that I think the torque kicks in at higher revs than the 1.4. So you wouldn't think the 1.0 would feel massively slower.

Of course in the case of the T-Roc the 1.5 has 150 bhp so will be markedly quicker than the 1.0. I couldn't justify almost £1800 extra for a bit more punch on motorway hills, and think I'll adapt quick enough. I think the extra equipment over my Golf should compensate.

Good idea to get that test drive as that will give you a better idea of what to go for.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Please do not mis-understand my comments re the 1.0 TSI. We cannot have extended tests here , your lucky for a 15 km runaround. I drove six 1.0 units from different dealers around Alicante/Valencia to try and confince myself. All in all the unit does a really good job. It is smooth and refined in the T-roc with ample power for everyday use. But try as I may I could not come to terms with it in the hills where its life would be spent as much as I wanted it to be the case, it was purely a power thing. Then of course there came the crunch, the Roc was to be my wife's car and she had such bad memories of the little Peug 3 cyl unit she would not even contemplate the loss of one pot though, with the 1.0 TSI you would not know it was gone. It truly is a nice little unit and not to be demeaned in any respect if it fits the bill.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My current car is 115hp, suits my needs, and the 1.0 T Roc is 125kg lighter than it, so I figured it would be ok. I took a 1.0 for a "typical drive", the kind of thing I do every day and it was absolutely fine. At town speeds it was so quiet it sounded like when I've been in a Prius, hard to believe it was petrol engined. Motorway cruising was effortless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My biggest reservation related to 1.0 TSI was that the mpg, which is superb for city driving, falls of a cliff as soon as you reach a highway cruising speed and/or there are windy conditions. Anyone tested 1.0's mpg on a highway?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The thing is if your asking the question is the one litre good enough you obviously have doubts. I had a Golf mk6 1.4 tsi and it was a great car but you had to keep it in the right gear when approaching hills or it would bog down. I bought the 1.5 T-roc sel for this reason. It gives you enough power with a relaxed ride.
I tested the one litre in the Seat Arona FR and I couldn't believe how torque it was so test drive the two engines it's the only way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Opted for 1.0 tsi. Seems to have ample power for our needs, hills and motorways easy peasy.
When I tried the 1.5, I didn't do it myself but I could see how some are experiencing the 'kangeroo' effect - plenty of power and way way too short a first gear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think the 1.0 will work perfectly. I've chosen the 1.5 because we've got a caravan. The 1.0 could tow a maximum of 1.300 kg I believe. Ours weight 1.450 kg. So I had no choice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to own a 1.0L 125 BHP Ford focus and it was fine, but a little disappointing on a long Motorway trip my MPG was around the same as my normal around town and 50 MPH dual carriageway driving.

I went into VW to buy a 1.0L T-Roc but there was only a 1.5L to test drive and the dealer was steering me that way, so I ordered one rather than risk a 1.0L I haven't tested. No complaints so far with the 1.5L

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, 1.0 users - let's compare MPG
my 1.5 TSI MT6 - 4,9 (yes!) up to 7,4 (with sensible speed at highway) - in litres/100km, I've tried to figure out recounting this for MPG but failed...
Ok, a moment of deep thinking and i figured out!
from 48 MPG to 31 MPG.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had a few days with my 1.0 SE and driven in town, country and motorway. Performance is perfectly adequate and refinement much like the 1.4 tsi Golf I had before. While it doesn't have quite as strong and effortless kick as that car had, my T-roc still feels strong and pulls well up hills. Still adapting to it but certainly happy with the performance overall and does not feel slow or wanting...... economy has crept up to over 40mpg and hopefully will improve further. Poorer than the Golf perhaps but as I only do about 8000 miles a year not that big a deal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Monifieth Angus said:
Had a few days with my 1.0 SE and driven in town, country and motorway. Performance is perfectly adequate and refinement much like the 1.4 tsi Golf I had before. While it doesn't have quite as strong and effortless kick as that car had, my T-roc still feels strong and pulls well up hills. Still adapting to it but certainly happy with the performance overall and does not feel slow or wanting...... economy has crept up to over 40mpg and hopefully will improve further. Poorer than the Golf perhaps but as I only do about 8000 miles a year not that big a deal.
Totally agree. Went for a long(ish) run which included many steep ups and downs (1 in 5's and steeper at times) and it took everything in it's stride. Quiet and capable on motorways as well. No problem with power, even though we were taking it steady until run in a bit. Have a feeling that it will be a fun, 'fizzy' type engine that loves to be used to the full.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There's always that strange perception too that spending 2k more on an engine that gives 5mpg more is "economical". I spent a similar amount on my previous deisel and while it gave me 60mpg and that felt satisfying, I doubt I made my money back in 60k miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.