Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 1.5 petrol has a timing 'belt' or internal timing 'chain'?
I've read through the on-line brochure and VW web site but it doesn't seem to specify. If I've missed it, could a link be given?
Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RedRoc said:
Does anyone know if the 1.5 petrol has a timing 'belt' or internal timing 'chain'?
I've read through the on-line brochure and VW web site but it doesn't seem to specify. If I've missed it, could a link be given?
Cheers.
A timing belt and in principel maintenance free.
With active cylinder management

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply holyhead, but I think that is the 1.4litre. I was wondering more about the new 1.5. I'll try to have a look at dealer if they get one in.
Cheers.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Out of interest, why is it important to you? Are you a fan of belts or of chains?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mackemsteve said:
Out of interest, why is it important to you? Are you a fan of belts or of chains?
The T-Roc will be for my wife who only does a low mileage. Therefore an internal timing chain will be better than having to change an external belt due to age not mileage - if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RedRoc said:
Thanks for the reply holyhead, but I think that is the 1.4litre. I was wondering more about the new 1.5. I'll try to have a look at dealer if they get one in.
Cheers.
The 1.4 liter act is upgraded to 1.5 act and the 1.4 is not produced anymore.
I tought the replacement of the timing belt is every 5 year.
I suppose your dealer must know it exactly.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Makes perfect sense, RedRoc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interesting...

A chain sounds much better in principle, but we have had issues with our current 1.4 TSI Golf..

The dealer has told us that chains are prone to stretching on the older VAG 1.4 TSI units, especially if the car is left in gear while parked on slopes !!

Apparently, the 'Twin Blower' (Turbo and supercharged) units are really troublesome, a quick google reveals all, SEATS seem to have loads of issues.

So, jury is out, chain better than a belt, not really sure..

Hope what ever is fitted to our 1.5 TSI T-Roc when we finally get it has been fully sorted and will be trouble free.

·
Registered
985 Posts
VAG typically use belts in preference to chains in their engines, so whilst I don't know the answer on this specific engine, if it's anything like the 1.4 engine in my wife's Audi A1 TSi then its a belt which has to be changed every 5 years regardless of age. At a cost of £435 no less - just for the belt change. Add on a service, change of brake fluid and year 5 servicing gets a bit pricey with all that lot.
On the Audi forums, some have asked - well my car is low mileage does it need doing - the answer back though is that the belts degenerate with age (as mentioned above), so yes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.