Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
2521 - 2540 of 2540 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Just to resurrect this Dodo of a thread with a simple question.
What has happened to all the rejected kangarooing T rocs and why isn't this forum full of second hand owners complaining about the problem?
Has VW waved a magic wand and made it all just disappear?
I'm genuinely interested to know what has happened with this issue, it was such a big problem for so many owners back in the day and attracted a few colourful characters to join in the sometimes heated debate.
The good old days, happy times :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
Joined
·
889 Posts
Bellasdad said:
The good old days, happy times :mrgreen:
😂🤣😂🤣

A very good question 🤔

I haven't done much driving since I had my software update to see if it worked but then again mine was never that bad and I could have lived with it anyway &#x1f937-2642;
 

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Bellasdad said:
Just to resurrect this Dodo of a thread with a simple question.
What has happened to all the rejected kangarooing T rocs and why isn't this forum full of second hand owners complaining about the problem?
Has VW waved a magic wand and made it all just disappear?
I'm genuinely interested to know what has happened with this issue, it was such a big problem for so many owners back in the day and attracted a few colourful characters to join in the sometimes heated debate.
The good old days, happy times :mrgreen:
Well mine was sold to another customer a week after the rejection was processed. And it was advertised for MORE than I paid for it 6 months prior! No mention of it being faulty of course!

I suspect it was only a very small minority of sufferers who made it onto this forum (or posted). There was another 1.5 R-line near me but that disappeared shortly after mine was rejected.

There are probably a lot more owners out there with them and they just put up with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Mine is a June 2018 model and I have noticed the last few weeks it has started to do this.
It's very minor and unless your looking for it you wouldn't notice.
Maybe the DSG gearbox hides it but I have noticed and look for it now.
I have traded it in for a Golf 8 in March .
It's a long line of things I just don't like about the car.
Mainly the stop start it is just crap.
 

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Clubchamp98 said:
Mine is a June 2018 model and I have noticed the last few weeks it has started to do this.
It's very minor and unless your looking for it you wouldn't notice.
Maybe the DSG gearbox hides it but I have noticed and look for it now.
I have traded it in for a Golf 8 in March .
It's a long line of things I just don't like about the car.
Mainly the stop start it is just crap.
You know the Golf 8 has stop start too right? I would wager it works exactly the same way as well. Unless you've experienced it and it's somehow different?

Also the DSG doesn't hide it really - well my DSG didn't anyway. I think it's more to do with how you use the throttle. My experience is I f you don't give enough gas at low speeds it seems to happen more often. There are obviously more variables but I think that's one of the key ones.
 

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
Joined
·
889 Posts
Clubchamp98 said:
Mainly the stop start it is just crap.
Sure you can just turn it off, unless of course you really want start/stop on your cars 🤔

Funnily enough I was always told not to buy a new model in any make of car until they'd ironed out all the faults a couple of years later & I didn't listen. &#x1f937-2642;

I hope the golf 8 works out 🤞
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
twist said:
Clubchamp98 said:
Mine is a June 2018 model and I have noticed the last few weeks it has started to do this.
It's very minor and unless your looking for it you wouldn't notice.
Maybe the DSG gearbox hides it but I have noticed and look for it now.
I have traded it in for a Golf 8 in March .
It's a long line of things I just don't like about the car.
Mainly the stop start it is just crap.
You know the Golf 8 has stop start too right? I would wager it works exactly the same way as well. Unless you've experienced it and it's somehow different?

Also the DSG doesn't hide it really - well my DSG didn't anyway. I think it's more to do with how you use the throttle. My experience is I f you don't give enough gas at low speeds it seems to happen more often. There are obviously more variables but I think that's one of the key ones.
Yes but I just turn it off anyway.
But why have a system the driver can't control that's not to much to ask for imo.

Guy I play golf with works for a main dealer he offered me a deal I just can't say no to.
The roc is a really nice comfortable car and I might buy another in a few years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Bellasdad said:
Just to resurrect this Dodo of a thread with a simple question.
What has happened to all the rejected kangarooing T rocs and why isn't this forum full of second hand owners complaining about the problem?
Has VW waved a magic wand and made it all just disappear?
I'm genuinely interested to know what has happened with this issue, it was such a big problem for so many owners back in the day and attracted a few colourful characters to join in the sometimes heated debate.
The good old days, happy times :mrgreen:
If I were a Dealer, I'd simply resell a dud on an 'as seen' basis. A quick polish and these cars would effectively be brand new with low mileage. When the roo is noted on a test run, a clinch-the-deal financial incentive could be offered to buyer.

People will put up with stuff if they can save a few bob. A new car owner, on the other hand, paid full price for a faulty product.

Dealer gets rid of a dud. VW don't have the headache of returned cars. No magic wand needed.
 

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
Joined
·
889 Posts
Deleted user 925 said:
I haven't done much driving since I had my software update to see if it worked but then again mine was never that bad and I could have lived with it anyway &#x1f937-2642;
So the software update 100% didn't work, at least in the warm/hot weather &#x1f937-2642;
I'm having a very noticeable kangaroo everyday for the first half mile I drive my car, basically when I start off and taking off at the first set of traffic lights.
Funnily enough it's only when I'm coming home from work & not in the morning when it's cooler 🤔

I think my job change and route may have highlighted it more I.e not a straight run for a couple of miles for the engine to warm up?
 

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Deleted user 925 said:
Deleted user 925 said:
I haven't done much driving since I had my software update to see if it worked but then again mine was never that bad and I could have lived with it anyway &#x1f937-2642;
So the software update 100% didn't work, at least in the warm/hot weather &#x1f937-2642;
I'm having a very noticeable kangaroo everyday for the first half mile I drive my car, basically when I start off and taking off at the first set of traffic lights.
Funnily enough it's only when I'm coming home from work & not in the morning when it's cooler 🤔

I think my job change and route may have highlighted it more I.e not a straight run for a couple of miles for the engine to warm up?
Weird eh? They claim it was on a "cold" start. I know they mean "cold start" in the literal sense of the engine oil temperature and not entirely the ambient temperature but still: you'd think high ambient heat would help, rather than hinder the issue.

My MY2020 is still a bit "excitable" during cold start but so far it has not lurched into full kangaroo territory yet (and fingers crossed it stays that way as I will lose my mind if it gets as bad as the first car).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I have a MY21, 1.5 manual. If I start the car and drive, it lurches in 1st and second gear until it has warmed up a bit.

I have found that no matter what the ambient temperature after starting the engine it idles at ~1400 rpm for a while, then drops to ~1200 rpm before dropping to what I would consider a normal idle of ~800 rpm - it takes about 1 minute to drop to this normal idle. If I wait for the revs to settle to 800 rpm the car drives fine.

I've never had a car behave this way before and I shouldn't have to sit idling until the car is drivable. My wife has a Citigo and that drives fine even when running on the "choke", I assume that the mapping is different in the T-ROC (to heat the cat up as quickly as possible) to meet the ridiculously strict emissions standards from the EU.
 

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
Joined
·
889 Posts
NGr said:
I have a MY21, 1.5 manual. If I start the car and drive, it lurches in 1st and second gear until it has warmed up a bit.

I have found that no matter what the ambient temperature after starting the engine it idles at ~1400 rpm for a while, then drops to ~1200 rpm before dropping to what I would consider a normal idle of ~800 rpm - it takes about 1 minute to drop to this normal idle. If I wait for the revs to settle to 800 rpm the car drives fine.

I've never had a car behave this way before and I shouldn't have to sit idling until the car is drivable. My wife has a Citigo and that drives fine even when running on the "choke", I assume that the mapping is different in the T-ROC (to heat the cat up as quickly as possible) to meet the ridiculously strict emissions standards from the EU.
Yeah that sounds like the kangaroo alright.
Even the latest 1.5's have it &#x1f937-2642;🙈
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,814 Posts
If they messed with the fuel/air mixture ratios, then there will be different mappings covering a mix of ambient air temperatures vs engine temperature. So a 'cold' start on a warm afternoon needs different mixture from a 'cold' start on a frosty winter morning. Obviously there needs to be some balance between the extremes and it could be that fixing a problem at one end of the spectrum makes matters worse at the other end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Just when I was beginning to think that a 1.5tsi may be safe to buy now, this appears to show that VW have not cured the 'Roo. Never mind, quite like our 1.0 for what we use it for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
VW said it hasn't found anything, I'm thinking whether its how I use the clutch, I have a bit of a heavy foot. had a polo 2001 model and its clutch was pretty light when so I used to almost release it before I press the gas. It might just be muscle memory, will be getting it back from the service hopefully today.

VW are reinstalling the ECU software for it, so I will find out.
 

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
Joined
·
889 Posts
dwardu said:
VW are reinstalling the ECU software for it, so I will find out.
A few people have had the software update and it made no difference, myself included.

The kangaroo gives you a similar impression of when we were first learning to drive. &#x1f937-2642;
 
2521 - 2540 of 2540 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top