Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just ordered 2022 1.5tsi dsg box T roc, I read on “Honest John” and Google that this engine suffers kangarooing.
Do you know if this problem has been fixed.
Has anyone bought this version? Has it been ok.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same on order, obviously don't own one yet but I took a 1.5 TSI DSG R-Line for a several hour test drive, had no issues at all and it was very smooth. Dealer didn't drive it at all and the engine was cold when started so I think I got a very fair impression of it.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,867 Posts
I had one originally in SEL trim that had horrendous kangarooing. I’m actually quoted in that article on Honest John as one of the more severe cases. I ultimately rejected the car (19 plate) and ordered a new one (20 plate) which does have a very faint hint of the kangaroo but nowhere near enough to be any sort of problem. I also suspect that unless you’ve driven an original one with the issue, you wouldn’t even notice the one in my car. You’d have to be watching the rev counter for the tiny bounce. I point it out to people and they think I’m imagining it, that’s how minor it is but because I know exactly what to look for and when, I notice it. I suspect there are a lot of owners driving around with it and just don’t realize. We haven’t had anyone new on the forum asking about it for probably around a year so in all likelihood you’ll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,755 Posts
I'd go further @twist and say that the whole issue has seldom been mentioned on this forum for the past 2 years, and even those few mentions are by people who have heard of this and are simply wondering if it has been fixed.

The last time I got notification of someone submitting a response to the kangaroo survey was before February 2020 !

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 21 plate 1.5 R line with DSG box now with 13k on the clock and not experienced any of the kangaroo symptoms people have mentioned.
Like others have said, I believe you will be fine.
BW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had one originally in SEL trim that had horrendous kangarooing. I’m actually quoted in that article on Honest John as one of the more severe cases. I ultimately rejected the car (19 plate) and ordered a new one (20 plate) which does have a very faint hint of the kangaroo but nowhere near enough to be any sort of problem. I also suspect that unless you’ve driven an original one with the issue, you wouldn’t even notice the one in my car. You’d have to be watching the rev counter for the tiny bounce. I point it out to people and they think I’m imagining it, that’s how minor it is but because I know exactly what to look for and when, I notice it. I suspect there are a lot of owners driving around with it and just don’t realize. We haven’t had anyone new on the forum asking about it for probably around a year so in all likelihood you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks to all you guys for your encouraging replies. I have owned a Mk 7 1.4 tsi with dsg Golf GT for the past almost 8 years and has been faultless. 46k now 41mpg average. Just fitted wiper blades and front pads and discs. It’s a keeper.
I expect the Troc will take 6 months to come.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having just ordered 2022 1.5tsi dsg box T roc, I read on “Honest John” and Google that this engine suffers kangarooing.
Do you know if this problem has been fixed.
Has anyone bought this version? Has it been ok.
Hi JaybEE,
I have just become the proud owner of a brand new 1.5tsi style dsg. Petrol Blue. It’s my first dsg and I must say I love it. No problems at all with kangarooing. I think that was a problem mainly in manual gearboxes a couple of years ago, which seems to have been sorted. There have been reports of jerky starts when pulling away with the dsg, but can’t say I have experienced that. Though I’m quite gentle on the accelerator when starting off, don’t know if that makes any difference? But go for it, you’ll love it, I’m sure of that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi JaybEE,
I have just become the proud owner of a brand new 1.5tsi style dsg. Petrol Blue. It’s my first dsg and I must say I love it. No problems at all with kangarooing. I think that was a problem mainly in manual gearboxes a couple of years ago, which seems to have been sorted. There have been reports of jerky starts when pulling away with the dsg, but can’t say I have experienced that. Though I’m quite gentle on the accelerator when starting off, don’t know if that makes any difference? But go for it, you’ll love it, I’m sure of that.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forgot to say, this was a factory order in March. I was expecting delivery around August this year. Car arrived 31st May!!! Couldn’t believe it. A few extras not available at present, but on the whole very happy with the car :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Morning all.
i have a 1.5 Tsi Dsg May 21 plate with 11000 miles and zero signs of any kangaroring.
it drives lovely and no issues at all.
Ordered mid March 21 and and took delivery end of May.
enjoy the car when it eventually arrives.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,867 Posts
I thought the only problem with the kangarooing was with the Manual box !
Nope, it just seemed more prevalent in manuals for some reason. But my car would - quite violently - move back and forth, typically in 2nd gear while accelerating between about 1,700rpm to 2,000rpm. The rev needle would bounce up and down in time with the jerking. It was awful.

·
Super Moderator
2,755 Posts
I thought the only problem with the kangarooing was with the Manual box !
It was an engine issue and the engine was the same on manual and DSG cars. But the engines have moved on considerably since 2019, so that original kangaroo issue is irrelevant today unless you are buying a second hand car built in 2018-19

1 - 14 of 14 Posts