Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Blue VOLKSWAGEN T-ROC R-LINE TSI EVO S-A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all--I have just joined this group and am at present reading through the various posts etc.
I have had my T-Roc R-Line Cabriolet over year now and have 3500 miles on the clock. My wife and I only use it for long drives etc as we use her Fiesta for town driving.We have always had a cabriolet for the summer, the last one being a Jaguar F-type cabriolet which I hardly used, my wife hated it and would rather get the train to the destination while I drove the jag (It was handy in a way as I could get stuff in the front passenger seat, hardly any room in the boot)
I digress--I am still learning about the T-roc and It has just been in for its 1st service, updates etc.--I now find that now and again, a 2 Cylinder mode flashes on the dash--What is this as I always thought the car would be running on all cylinders or am I missing something--I have always used the car in Eco mode and do now but I have never had this 2 Cylinder mode come up before. Can anyone assist thanks

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
It’s perfectly normal. It is a fuel-saving feature where if the car can drive the same speed while only using 2 cylinders, it will. Helps your MPG 🙂

Not sure if you have a DSG or not but if you do, you may also find that the selected gear on the dashboard changes to just a D and it feels like the car is coasting. That’s because it is: this is coasting mode and is also completely normal.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Twist

I cannot understand why I haven't noticed this before as 2 Cylinder mode has never came up on the dash screen before.
I will have to see what my MPG is like. Maybe it is since they updated the software on the service last week. One thing I have noticed as well is that the WeConnect App on my phone doesn't seem to work properly now--It misses days that car is used etc.The Dealership is checking this--Thanks again

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Thanks Twist

I cannot understand why I haven't noticed this before as 2 Cylinder mode has never came up on the dash screen before.
I will have to see what my MPG is like. Maybe it is since they updated the software on the service last week. One thing I have noticed as well is that the WeConnect App on my phone doesn't seem to work properly now--It misses days that car is used etc.The Dealership is checking this--Thanks again
Forget We Connect, it is useless. There are numerous threads on this forum about how unreliable it is. When their servers are down, it often shows my car as being unlocked with the windows open and being driven 😑 You only get the service free for the first 3 years anyway and then it is an eye watering £15/month according to my dealership. Don’t get attached to it, it’s not worth it!

You probably never noticed the 2 cylinder mode because it’s such a smooth transition and the engine doesn’t feel or sound any different when it’s active. It wasn’t added via a software update though, this has been in T-Rocs (and other VW engine models) since the first T-Roc rolled out. It’s definitely in the 1.5TSI but probably other 4 cylinder engines as well.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The 2-cylinder mode, sometimes referred to as Active Cylinder Technology or ACT, has been around on VAG cars for years. I had it on my 2014 Golf mk7 and most manufacturers have similar systems. It's like trying to provide the emissions benefits of small 3-cylinder engines while retaining the power of 4 cylinders when needed.

Generally it activates on a very light throttle, so much so that some drivers may never actually experience it. It is also sensitive to movement of the sterring, so activates more on straight stretches of road than on twisty roads (no pun intended for Twist).

As for the effect on mpg it is so minimal that any difference is lost in the 'noise' of normal mpg fluctuations with weather, traffic, load, wind etc., and it is mainly there to improve the official emissions figures for environmental standards compliance.

The cruise mode which Twist refers to only operates if Eco drive mode is selected. Personally I don't like it as it removes most engine braking and I never find Eco mode improves my mpg much if at all. But then I'm fairly light footed except when overtaking is called for.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The cruise mode which Twist refers to only operates if Eco drive mode is selected.
Unless my car is faulty, it definitely activates outside of Eco mode. I more or less only use Individual mode with most stuff set to Normal (nothing set to Eco) and coasting mode happens all the time for me. I agree, I don’t much like it as it doesn’t feel terribly safe.

Reactions: zoro

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Unless my car is faulty, it definitely activates outside of Eco mode. I more or less only use Individual mode with most stuff set to Normal (nothing set to Eco) and coasting mode happens all the time for me. I agree, I don’t much like it as it doesn’t feel terribly safe.
Hi Twist,

I never use anything other than Normal Mode apart from the few occasions I've tried Eco and Sport Modes. In Eco, it would quite regularly display Coasting and the revs would drop to idle regardless of road speed and this is exactly as expected from reading the manual, but it has absolutely never done that in Normal Mode in some 30 months and 10k miles of ownership - I dislike Coasting so much in Eco Mode that I would certainly have noticed.

I don't doubt that your car goes into Coasting when you are using Individual Mode (something I've never tried), but I would be very surprised if it entered Coasting without you having to select something in the individual settings. I remember your previous posts when you said the same about Coasting, so obviously you haven't imagined it.

Maybe I will try it, or perhaps another forum member who already uses it can confirm if Individual Mode engages coasting by itself. I wouldn't be surprised if this is another bit of dodgy VW software, so this would be a characteristic rather than a fault.

Perhaps you could try using Normal Mode for a bit and see what happens, then we can compare notes again.

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all--By the way, what sort of mileage do you normally get with a T-roc--Mine is a T-ROC Cab 1.5 R-Line TSI EVO S-A with Park Assist, Keyless entry etc.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Sky
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Hi Twist,

I tried my car in Individual mode today after reviewing the settings. Everything was set to Normal, so not unexpectedly the car behave like, erm normal ! The only differences were (a) the Mode switch is permanently lit, and (b) the icon at the top of the AID has a little star over the usual 'normal' mode symbol.

Notably, the car never entered Coasting and the DSG gear indicator always showed D with the relevant gear number.

I have now changed the 'Individual' mode settings to set 'Drive' to ECO and will try it again tomorrow. I expect this to use Coasting and suspect that either yours is set to the same or is faulty. I seem to recall that your reason for using Individual mode was because that is the only way the car remembers the ECO setting after switching off and means you don't have to switch to ECO every time before you drive off.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hi Twist,

I tried my car in Individual mode today after reviewing the settings. Everything was set to Normal, so not unexpectedly the car behave like, erm normal ! The only differences were (a) the Mode switch is permanently lit, and (b) the icon at the top of the AID has a little star over the usual 'normal' mode symbol.

Notably, the car never entered Coasting and the DSG gear indicator always showed D with the relevant gear number.

I have now changed the 'Individual' mode settings to set 'Drive' to ECO and will try it again tomorrow. I expect this to use Coasting and suspect that either yours is set to the same or is faulty. I seem to recall that your reason for using Individual mode was because that is the only way the car remembers the ECO setting after switching off and means you don't have to switch to ECO every time before you drive off.
So I tested today and 2 things: I vaguely remember using individual to ensure something remained but I don’t think it was Eco as I’ve gone into my Individual settings and everything is set to normal so I don’t even know why I’m using it anymore.

Second, I drove for 20 minutes in Normal mode (using the Mode selector; Mode button therefore was no long illuminated) and the car did indeed go into coasting mode several times with only “D” shown inside the rev counter and the very obvious feeling of the transmission being disconnected.

So yes, either VW changed something in the ECU between your car and mine or mine is faulty. I will ask the dealership next time I’m in.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Well here's a thing ...

As I said in my last post, I set my car to Individual mode and set the Drive setting within that to ECO, but on a drive this morning there was no evidence of coasting and what's really surprising is that the gear indicator on the dash was using the D prefix rather than the expected E.

So, I opened the Drive Mode screen and checked that Individual was still selected (it was, and the icon on the dash had the star and the Mode switch was lit), and then I checked the Individual settings and sure enough Drive was still set to ECO.

When I got home I played about with this for a few minutes, trying to understand. It seems, just like when ECO mode is selected, the DSG box reverts to normal D when the ignition is switched off - even though the settings still show ECO is selected. What's more, if I switch the ignition on and change the driving Mode from Individual to any other setting (Normal, ECO or Sport) and then change it back to Individual, the gear indicator on the dash reverts to displaying the expected E prefix.

Bad enough that the car loses this DSG mode when switched off, but this is compounded by the settings menu wrongly showing that ECO drive mode is still selected though it obviously isn't.

I thought those using Individual mode had done so as a work around to the same issue encountered when using pre-set ECO mode, and that this had somehow managed to get the car to retain the E gear setting after switching off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Twist/Impala
The car hasn't been out of the garage for a few days but I will give it a run today and try the various settings to see when the 2 Cylinder mode comes up.
It definitely has not been showing on the dash since I bought the car new last year UNTIL it went in for its 1st service and upgrade

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I selected Individual mode this morning before a short journey and configured the Drive setting to Eco. Sure enough, the Mode switch was lit and the gear indicator in the dash showed the E prefix before the gear number, but the drive was too short and through my local town so the car never got the chance to enter Coasting. I then stopped at the local supermarket to pick up my wife and switched off to get out and help loading the shopping. When I got back in and switched on, the Mode switch was still lit but the gear prefix in the das was now D. I checked the settings within the Individual Mode and Drive was still set to Eco.

I honestly cannot see the point of having Individual mode if each time I switch on I have to go back in to the settings to change Drive to something other than Eco and then change it back again. - it may rermember ACC and A/C settings (ha-ha), but it certainly does not retain the E configuration for the DSG. Did anyone in VW ever try this ?

What an absolutely pointless 'feature'.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I selected Individual mode this morning before a short journey and configured the Drive setting to Eco. Sure enough, the Mode switch was lit and the gear indicator in the dash showed the E prefix before the gear number, but the drive was too short and through my local town so the car never got the chance to enter Coasting. I then stopped at the local supermarket to pick up my wife and switched off to get out and help loading the shopping. When I got back in and switched on, the Mode switch was still lit but the gear prefix in the das was now D. I checked the settings within the Individual Mode and Drive was still set to Eco.

I honestly cannot see the point of having Individual mode if each time I switch on I have to go back in to the settings to change Drive to something other than Eco and then change it back again. - it may rermember ACC and A/C settings (ha-ha), but it certainly does not retain the E configuration for the DSG. Did anyone in VW ever try this ?

It’s ridiculous that the parameters are inconsistently saved/displayed. That’s just pure laziness caused by lack of testing - which these days, as I’m sure you’ll agree, is pretty much the standard unfortunately. At the very least, it’s typical of VW laziness.

·
Registered
466 Posts

I'm thinking it could possibly still be in economy mode but the cockpit is displaying the wrong icon 🤔🤷‍♂️
I know either way it's not the way it should be!

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I think you can tell from the gear shift points whether or not it is running Normal or ECO gear settings, so in my view the cockpit is showing correctly that the DSG has reverted back to Normal (D) and it is the menu/settings which are not reflecting that. But even if the cockpit and settings menu did align correctly, there is no logical reason why an Individual setting should just be ignored - Individual should mean the driver decides rather than a pre-set programme.

The owner's manual says the Driving Profile is remembered when switching off and back on again, and also says the Drive setting reverts to Normal - which means the Driving profile (Normal/ECO/Sport/Individual) will be misaligned with the actual (DSG gearbox) Drive. So, as we know, you can be in the ECO, Sport or Individual driving profile set via the MODE switch, but the DSG will always be in Normal after switching off and on again. Most people probably wouldn't notice and just think 'Well I've selected ECO mode, the switch is still lit and the icon in the dash shows the mode, so I should be getting better mpg or more sporty gear changes' - WRONG !

No explanation is given as to why this happens, but the fact it is documented in the manual suggests it is by design.

Scheiße - look it up in Google translate (German to English).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts