Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really looking forward to experiencing ACC on my new car, thinking that it will be a fantastic safety feature on my lengthy motorway trips. That's if it actually works! I would be very interested to know if it works as it should, whether those who have been using ACC can recommend it. Are there pros and cons? Any feedback and advice will be welcome.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ACC and Lane control works So Well that You have to be careful and not believe it Will Do more than it really Does.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The only criticism I read about it is that it leaves bigger gaps than a human usually does to the car in front, even on the closest setting. This encourages people to pull in, which causes the ACC to slow you down to increase the gap. If that happens repeatedly you can get the feeling you're going backwards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have it on my Range Rover Sport and love it; on that, you can set one of three "gaps" (I usually use the minimum). If you are behind someone and indicate to pull out to overtake it starts to accelerate immediately which is quite clever (even though it knows you are behind someone).

The only Gotcha that I am aware of is that you can find yourself going slower than you might wish even though the overtaking lane is clear, because you didn't appreciate that "adaptive" bit had slowed you due traffic.

Not sure if the VW system is the same.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have it on my current Golf and like it so much that my next car had to have it. Takes a bit to get used to and does leave a bit of gap as mentioned above. I find on busy motorways like the M6 south of Preston it becomes less useful because of cars cutting into the gap, quieter motorways not so much a problem. Definitely makes cruising more relaxing and safer because it automatically keeps a safe distance from the car ahead.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with all the comments. I also use ACC in 30 and 40 mph limits and it works well when the traffic speed is fluctuating as you don't need to brake or accelerate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe the complaint of staying too far behind is an indication that you normally drive to close for safety?

Worth considering, eh?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had it on my MK7 Golf GTI and now have it on TRoc and wouldn't do without it especially when there are so much average speed cameras where I live. You can alter the gap between you and car in front and leaves a safe distance however I agree if set on longest setting it does encourage people to nip in front of you causing car to brake but you get used to it and also you can accelerate while in ACC and when you lift foot it ruturns you to set speed handy if you need to pass a vehicle rather than run along side it

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have to say that I find the Speed Limiter function more useful than ACC when driving between average speed cameras, but having both is ideal.

I (nervously) tested the ACC in my car a while ago when coming off a motorway; the ACC brought me neatly from ~70mph to a full stop at the roundabout. Impressive.

But it was only afterwards that I realised what _might_ have happened had I not been following another car off the motorway... :shock: :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
A quick question re ACC please, when the car lowers speed to keep the required distance from car In front for a slight change in distance, I presume this means it flashes its brake lights rather than just releasing acceleration, ? Sounds like the sort of car I try to avoid driving behind .....if it does it frequently. Also am wondering how much this affects fuel consumption, braking more frequently and then accelerating etc ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
No brakes used, unless the car in front brakes, so no brake lights. The system is much more sensitive than that and keeps a distance by accelerating or releasing the speed in tune with the car in front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you Agerbundsen, very helpful, I wasn't sure how sensitive it was, much more traffic friendly than maybe I gave it credit for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also find that the distance on the minimum setting from the above car let a gap a little to big, and make you car bake a lot more if you are on a busy and short trip.

On a long distance trips the system work beautifully, just make you drive experience more relaxed and feel safer, also the lane assist have some limitations on some corners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agerbundsen said:
No brakes used, unless the car in front brakes, so no brake lights. The system is much more sensitive than that and keeps a distance by accelerating or releasing the speed in tune with the car in front.
Mine break for sure when someone put you in the gap between the car from above an you, also the warning breaking system lights on... you can not control the d**kh**ds driving, but help a lot have this features on.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The system just eases off the gas unless the rate you're approaching the car in front is quite high, in which case it brakes. Basically if the car in front eases off, so do you, if the car in front brakes, so do you. If someone pulls into the gap, if they're going slower it brakes, if it's going faster/same it eases off to restore the gap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It happens to me a couple times, a car in front from far take a turn, and disappear from the lane, but my car still break like the car was there. It's really annoying, I was driving at 60 mph and the car in front was like 300 or 350 feets so when the collision system actuate you didn't expect at all cause there's no car on the lane, they take a turn to a unpaved road to the right.

Anyone experience something similar?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had ACC on my last car and my current Troc, it's brilliant.
All the above comments are true but the distance from car in front is adjustable. The brake lights do flash on if braking required, why wouldn't you want it too?
Lane assist on this car great too.
The thing I'm struggling to trust is park assist, but will get there, eventually!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had basic cruise control on my Golf and it worked well giving me good fuel consumption on my trips to Scotland (less traffic).
So I couldn't wait to to try ACC. Well I've hardly used it. I find that it senses the car in front later than I would and while I would ease off the gas ACc brakes. Not good for fuel consumption. I admit I have a lot to learn about getting the best out of ACC so I havn't given Up yet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have ACC on my Golf and wouldn't be without it now, although it took me quite a while to get used to it. As discussed I think, better on slightly quieter motorways and dual carriageways. Only problem now is I feel uncomfortable with basic cruise control in other cars I drive as I worry I'll drive into the back of the car in front...

Still waiting for my T-Roc although it's over a fortnight since it arrived in the UK :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Monifieth Angus said:
Still waiting for my T-Roc although it's over a fortnight since it arrived in the UK :(
A fortnight? How are you coping and have you managed to track it down yet. Saw someone else on here got a dealer delivery date via the VW chat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts