Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

If someone can offer me some advice I would be greatful.

I went to get out my TRoc a week ago and as I pulled the key out the ignition the electrics all stayed on (headlights, computer, the handbreak wouldn't go on) and the car wouldn't lock from the outside. I tried putting the key in the ignition and it wouldn't even go in, called VW breakdown and the man managed to fix it by oiling the ignition and forcing the key in. It did it again the other day. It's asif the car is on even though the key isn't in the ignition.

Went to VW today and they have said they can't find a fault on the diagnostics? What do I do if this continues and they continue to tell me they can't find a fault?

·
Registered
86 Posts
From what you describe, there obviously is a fault. Perhaps next time it happens take some photos of the dash displays, making it obvious that the key is in your hand..

I had a similar situation with a fault, (not the same as yours, it was with the tyre pressure monitors giving false readings), and 3 times the service manager said we can't find anything, come back if it happens again. At that point I wrote an email to VW customer service, copied to the sales/service and business manager of the VW garage i'd bought the car from. This seemed to focus them into doing something, trying various things to sort it out. The end result was a replacement car, due to arrive in the next week, as my fault is still there.

Hope this helps, but the advice from me is to make it clear that you're not going away and if the fault is still there you'll keep bringing the car back.

Ian H

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another thing, keep detailed notes, date, time, what happened etc... It's always good when making a case..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have evidence because the VW breakdown engineer came out and I'm sure he would have to report the issue on his notes.

I think if it happens again I'm going to call breakdown but tell them not to fix it and to call a recovery truck and take it straight to VW.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is the one thing that annoys me with garages at the moment, if the computer says it's not broke then as far as they are concerned that's the end of it. You think a bit of basic mechanics would make it obvious that yes an ignition switch is electronic but it's also mechanical and may not show a fault. Rant over.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Laurenb92 said:
Hi

If someone can offer me some advice I would be greatful.

I went to get out my TRoc a week ago and as I pulled the key out the ignition the electrics all stayed on (headlights, computer, the handbreak wouldn't go on) and the car wouldn't lock from the outside. I tried putting the key in the ignition and it wouldn't even go in, called VW breakdown and the man managed to fix it by oiling the ignition and forcing the key in. It did it again the other day. It's asif the car is on even though the key isn't in the ignition.

Went to VW today and they have said they can't find a fault on the diagnostics? What do I do if this continues and they continue to tell me they can't find a fault?
When I had a few from the Nissan QQ I videoed it panning back and forth and then took the iPad to play to them there and then.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've had a similar problem on all my 3 Audi's, where occasionally you could remove the key, and everything stayed on - although I must admit I could get the key back in the ignition again (the only difference to your issue). If you look down some of the Audi forums, you'll find others have experienced similar to myself as well.

It's not a fault that Audi (or VW in this case as well) recognise. What a few of us found was that wiggling the steering wheel or just inserting the tip of the key worked to make the ignition work - basically what we thought was that it was caught on a certain point in the steering where it was just catching on the ignition and stopping it clicking out. So next time maybe just try wiggling the steering wheel, as if it is "Tight" on the steeing lock when you take the key out, it does prevent the ignition clicking out. Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.