Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just ordered a showroom stock T-Roc for delivery first week of September. As it does not have Sat-Nav, [a saving of £800ish] the salesman recommended I upgrade my basic non-smart mobile phone and purchase a 'smart' phone and add the Android Auto and Waze Apps for connection to the car's Composition Media System via USB cable.

:?: I would welcome some advice as to the best 'budget' smart phone [for up to £250] for efficient operation of Android Auto[AA] Navigation. The Android Central web site recommends Google phones [Nexus & Pixel etc] because their Android software is specifically designed for the purpose of efficient navigation. They report that many of the other android brands are loaded with a multitude of apps which can interfere with AA Navigation and that some mobiles can't operate AA...is that correct?????

I don't use navigation much in my present car but the Speed and Red-light camera audio and "You are over the speed limit" warnings :twisted: given, are my main priority. I have also been advised that the Waze App was best for this!.

I have just over 3 weeks to decide which mobile to buy and hopefully the showroom saleman will help set it up when handing over the car to me.

I look forward to some advice from an expert :geek: ;) . Cheers, John.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use AA. My phone is a Motorola Moto X. I doubt you'll have any trouble so long as the android version is high enough, and on a new bought phone it will be. I use Waze, I leave the screen on Waze even if I'm not navigating, for the very reason you said - speed limit and camera warnings, plus hold-up info for the road ahead. I use AA to play music via Spotify or to listen to audio books on Audible. It's all good.
Only minor niggle is that AA only connects if I unlock the phone before plugging it into the car. That's become second nature now though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am just about to view " Android Auto: The right information for the road" video on YouTube.

I think I must have min Android 5 but most of the mobiles I had a quick look at are 7 or 8 [oreo].

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use a Motorola G4 plus successfully with google maps for navigation in my T-Roc. The current G5 phone presumably would be as good. I've never got round to trying Waze yet...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Motorolas are good phones for compatibility as they run a pretty much stock android, similar to the Google phones. They don't load on too much bloatware.
I've read that Huawei phones can be troublesome with AA, which is a pity as I was considering one as my next phone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Android auto is Nice .
I have an Xiaomi redmi 4prime.
Android 6 .
runs great even with YouTube (note: is not street legal to have YouTube so owner risk).
My phone is set to automatic unlock on bluetooth connection with car without screen on so if i leave the phone in my pocket i wont have problems.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all responders.
I have now narrowed my choices to Nokia 3.1 (£150) v Samsung Galaxy J6 (£230) both being 2018 Android 8 (Oreo) SIM FREE models. It's now time to shop around to get a feel for / handle each one and find the best deal. At present I have a '3' PAYG 3G basic Nokia on the 1 2 3 tariff used for phone calls and the odd text (10/month, yes just 10) ;) but not for the internet.
The new phone be used primarily in my T-Roc for navigation so I am hoping to be able to keep running costs low at £0.01/ MB + phone calls at £0.03/min. ('3's PAYG tariff is the cheapest in the UK).
Have any T-Roc owners got either of these phones and if so, do they perform OK using Android Auto's Google maps and Waze?.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't have those phones, but Samsungs are generally very good for AA compatibly. The only real problem phones that I've read about are Honor and Huawei (which are actually the same company). I've plumped for a Moto G6 for my new phone, it arrives tomorrow.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Motorola Moto G6 / G6 Play were my 3rd/4th choices but being larger & heavier were eliminated from my final options..
Called in to Carphone Warehouse today and decided to opt for the Nokia 3.1, 138gms with a smarter overall design and reduced from £149 to £129 rather than the Samsung Galaxy J6 at £219

Just need my T-Roc now, September 7th hopefully.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Samsung S7 and run Waze most days to avoid traffic delays and as you say it warns you of speed cameras & if you are over the speed limit, I haven't noticed a warning when going through traffic lights that I know have red light cameras on them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts