Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Β·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 years and 8k on the clock & my 3rd puncture πŸ™ˆ
So far 2 new tyres & by the looks of it now a third, crap πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ (punctured on the outside tread)

Old x-trail 13.5 years & the spare was never on πŸ€”

Happy Christmas everyone πŸŽ„β„β˜ƒπŸ¦ƒπŸŽ…

Β·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Ouch ... what sort of area do you live in ? Is someone a local builder and scattering a trail of nails ?

Β·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ If it wasn't for bad luck.................

Unusual to say the least!

Β·
Registered
175 Posts
πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ If it wasn't for bad luck.................

Unusual to say the least!
3 years and 8k on the clock & my 3rd puncture πŸ™ˆ
So far 2 new tyres & by the looks of it now a third, crap πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ (punctured on the outside tread)

Old x-trail 13.5 years & the spare was never on πŸ€”

Happy Christmas everyone πŸŽ„β„β˜ƒπŸ¦ƒπŸŽ…
Mighty unlucky, my last Golf used to attract nails/screws to the rear tyres but so far the Roc has been ok, really annoying when the tyres have only covered a low mileage. Better luck for the new year!

Β·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mighty unlucky, my last Golf used to attract nails/screws to the rear tyres but so far the Roc has been ok, really annoying when the tyres have only covered a low mileage. Better luck for the new year!
Thank you, fingers crossed 😁🀞

Β·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have a spare, or the reinflater/gloop stuff?

Β·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Β·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmm, I've gone for the gloop option, sucked-in by the extra boot space benefit. I hope I don't come to regret it.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

Β·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, I've gone for the gloop option, sucked-in by the extra boot space benefit. I hope I don't come to regret it.
Is there actually extra boot space?
I'd assume there's still a space saver kit void under the lower boot shelf position? πŸ€”

Hopefully you'll be luckier than me πŸ€žπŸ‘Œ

Β·
Registered
26 Posts
I think so. My last car was a 3 series touring, which had gloop and no spare. There was a large area below lower shelf where a wheel would have been. I presume the T-ROC will be similar. Can't say I'm not having second thoughts though.

Β·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
1,722 Posts
Is there actually extra boot space?
I'd assume there's still a space saver kit void under the lower boot shelf position? πŸ€”

Hopefully you'll be luckier than me πŸ€žπŸ‘Œ
I think you must just be quite unlucky. I live on a development that’s continued construction since I moved here 7 years ago and up until recently, it only had one exit that the site traffic used along with residential traffic. People are always complaining about multiple punctures and yet - touch wood - I have yet to get one (on either of my T-Rocs). Pretty sure we have the same rubber on our corners too? I think mine are Turanza. Or Potenza. Not 100% sure off the top of my head but it’s one of them.

Perhaps also partly contributing is a driver’s typical road position. Although driving instructors teach you to β€œtake your position from the kerb” and be about 1m from it, I tend to take my position from the center line instead. I’m not saying I drive way out from the kerb but perhaps I tend to be a bit further out than most.

Nails and other debris tend to gravitate toward the kerb due to the intentional camber of roads so theoretically there should be less of it the further out you drive. I see a lot of drivers right in the gutter a lot of the time. Just a theory! πŸ€”πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Β·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do tend to keep tight to the left of the road when driving & funnily enough my last puncture was caused by me clipping a sharp object laying at the edge of the road, my reaction time was to late.
I needed a new tyre & that was only around 5 weeks ago if even πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Aw well, it's one of those things or in my case three πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ§πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Β·
Registered
26 Posts
I tend to agree with Twist. Also, where I live, buses use most main roads. I think they are responsible for a lot of the potholes, which are mainly nearest the kerbside, and may also contribute to punctures. Driving closer to the centre gives a smoother ride in my opinion.

Β·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just changed to the spare there now.

I'm blaming the local scrapyard metal recycler, took a small load of scrap there a couple of weeks ago.
The tyre had 6+ small sharp fragments of metal embedded around the whole tyre tread surface of which one has caused the puncture.

First time there & the last πŸ‘Œ
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle

Β·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Just changed to the spare there now.

I'm blaming the local scrapyard metal recycler, took a small load of scrap there a couple of weeks ago.
The tyre had 6+ small sharp fragments of metal embedded around the whole tyre tread surface of which one has caused the puncture.

First time there & the last πŸ‘Œ View attachment 4010
If your theory is correct, can't you complain to the local council or environmental protection if material from that site is getting scattered on the road, presumably when loads of shredded scrap are removed from the site.

Β·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If your theory is correct, can't you complain to the local council or environmental protection if material from that site is getting scattered on the road, presumably when loads of shredded scrap are removed from the site.
It's a private company & you are literally driving onto a working dump with lorrys and diggers etc so impossible to keep it totally clean I suppose πŸ€”
You get paid for your scrap metal but it's not worth it if that's what happens πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

As said previously, first and last time to use it.
Council dump the next time, lesson learned πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Β·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Ah ... so you drove into the site and possible got the punctures there.

Β·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's the way the site works, weighbridge then drive down to the site/dump and unload.
Definitely where I got it πŸ‘Œ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts