Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
Thought - if the car's inbuilt navigation is not active then does that mean that the inbuild GPS antenna is not active, powered or even if one is fitted. Just because there is a shark fin antenna on the roof does not mean that it is ready.
I think they all have GPS enabled for the SOS and breakdown functions to be able to send assistance to your location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have the same problem. Iphone 13, VW Passat with Nav built-in. Android Auto on my other phone works flawless.
Location with Carplay is off by a few blocks. I`m not sure Carplay uses my car`s GPS.
I have Active Info Display that shows the car`s Nav map. That for sure uses the car`s GPS. And it`s accurate.
At the same time I have Carplay opened on the other screen and that one is not accurate.
It`s the same with Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you sure that your privacy settings are correct on your iphone?

For each app there is a setting for the accuracy of your location. If you setup your iphone you had to make a choise for that setting.

Give it a try: Setting, Privacy, Location services, Find an app (like Google maps or waze) and check if the setting is 'precise location'

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number
Rectangle Font Material property Operating system Communication Device
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number
Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

Reactions: Impala

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Are you sure that your privacy settings are correct on your iphone?

For each app there is a setting for the accuracy of your location. If you setup your iphone you had to make a choise for that setting.

Give it a try: Setting, Privacy, Location services, Find an app (like Google maps or waze) and check if the setting is 'precise location'

View attachment 4224 View attachment 4225 View attachment 4226 View attachment 4227
Yeah, thanks for the suggestion but I already checked that. I have reset location and privacy settings, tried a new phone, someone else's phone, erased and restored my phone. Only variable left is the car...

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
... Only variable left is the car...
I thought it had been determined that this is an issue with Apple CarPlay and that it works ok with Android Auto. It is widely discussed on the internet.

Also, the same problem has been reported elswhere by owners of other brands of car, so it is neither limited to the T-Roc or to VAG cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I thought it had been determined that this is an issue with Apple CarPlay and that it works ok with Android Auto. It is widely discussed on the internet.

Also, the same problem has been reported elswhere by owners of other brands of car, so it is neither limited to the T-Roc or to VAG cars.
I believe this to be an issue with the CarPlay Implementation in the car. I am not sure if the issue is a hardware fault, hardware incompatibility or an outdated/buggy/incompatible software stack in the car. Agreed, none of these are necessarily specific to the t-roc and could indeed be caused by manufactures buying parts from the same supplier. I will report back if/when the dealer gets in touch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this thread while doing research on the same issue. I have a 2017 VW Golf where carplay gps is flawless. However, I recently got a 2021 Honda e and it has the same exact problem listed here. Built in satnav works perfectly fine though, it's just when using CarPlay that the GPS gets way off. There is some bug in CarPlay GPS that affects lots of different vehicles.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,903 Posts
Found this thread while doing research on the same issue. I have a 2017 VW Golf where carplay gps is flawless. However, I recently got a 2021 Honda e and it has the same exact problem listed here. Built in satnav works perfectly fine though, it's just when using CarPlay that the GPS gets way off. There is some bug in CarPlay GPS that affects lots of different vehicles.
Please report the issue to Apple via Product Feedback

The more bug reports they receive for the same issue, the more likely they are to take it seriously and as a priority.

Reactions: Impala

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It has been a while and I thought I would post a little update on the progress made so far.
I took my car into the dealership who initially could not locate a fault although they could re-create the issue with their own phones. They tried to return the car and close the case claiming the problem was un-fixable. Naturally I rejected this outcome as the car is not yet 2 years old and still within the warranty period.
The dealership after a little persuasion have replaced the two GPS sensors in the car. This did not resolve the issue.
A short while later the dealer called me up about a recall. I then had to return the car again to the dealership because of a recall for the rear mounted GPS sensor was insufficiently insulated and was subject to water ingress. They replaced the sensor as part of the recall and this made no immediate difference.
I have been in contact with the dealer again who would like to apply the latest version of the software on the MIB3. I am currently waiting for an appointment.

However, here in the UK we have had a rather hot and dry spell of weather. It has been weeks since I have driven in the rain and longer since the recall, and the temp has been as high as 38 a couple of weeks ago. In this last week, the problem seems to have disappeared. Not gone wrong once on over 600 miles of driving. This to me hints as water ingress. Not sure if the last recall fixed the problem and the residual moisture has all dried out, or if there is a different water ingress issue. I guess I will find out when the weather turns more British :)

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,903 Posts
You’d have thought they’d have removed the moisture before fitting the new part but I have to admit, it seems wherever you go these days, the bare minimum effort is made so I can’t say I’m terribly surprised.

Glad it’s fixed for you regardless - as someone with absolutely zero sense of direction, I’d be screwed without a working GPS system :LOL:

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
Given that there are similar/identical issues affecting other brands, and that the problem seems to affect CarPlay but not Android Auto, it seems a bit of a stretch to say this is caused by water ingress. The implication therefore is that Android Auto does not get the GPS position from the car, which seems to go against what has been stated previously in this thread.

Time will tell I suppose, but I haven't seen any reports of others getting a fix so maybe this is a first.

Good luck @Green Coconut, I hope it continues to work and I'm sure you will post an update if it returns.

In this last week, the problem seems to have disappeared.
Were there any CarPlay or system updates applied to your phone in the last few weeks ?

Reactions: Vernerbongo2
21 - 33 of 33 Posts