Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, greetings from Slovakia.

Huge fan of T-Roc here. Been driving Mondeo MK3 2005 TDCI and this pile of sh... :evil: drives me mad, and I don't need such a large motor anyway, so:
Originally I wanted to order a new Polo but since I saw T-Roc being introduced in September I knew this is the car I need. Tiny but few muscles here and there, 1.5 TSI with DSG as the only option, great.

I went for a test drive yesterday, was very impressed with the drive characteristics as well as with the suspension, cabin build quality (don't mind those plastics at all - at least it's easy to clean) and boot space - after the sales confirmed it now comes with the space saver tire so I can use both trunk levels.

As impressed as I was with the car, I knew I had to pretend like i'm not sure about it and let the sales play their game in order to sell me the car on the spot.
In the split second I decided screw it, went all-in and told the sales guy straight away - "Look I like the car, I want it. I know the price for my Config is 31,500EUR, is there a room for some adjustments?". To my surprise he replied sure we can do something about the price, let's put it in the system and we'll see.

So we built my desired config on the spot and he managed to give me a 2000EUR discount. :cool: Not bad for a built-to-order new model.

However: He told me that at this moment the waiting time is 15 weeks. Plus there is a planned production halt in the length of !2 months!. Something to do with the new WLTP regulations and VW having to amend and re-test their engines. I was told that 1.5 TSI that I want is to undergo some hardware and possibly software amends in order to pass (or rank well) in the new WLTP.

All in all this makes it October delivery and now I have no idea whether to order it, wait what happens after WLTP amends or just go and buy Q2? (kidding)

Anyone else here have similar info that I can match with and verify that what I was told is true?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi adam11,

I ordered my T-Roc about two weeks ago and was told the same waiting time as you were. My sales man didn't mention anyting about production halt.. but I was told about the new WLTP regulations which applies to all car brands. Wether you order a new Q2 ( :D ) from factory and if your car arrives after 1.9., they have to do the same: re-test their engines, and then your car will have the new CO2 target.

My sales man told that VW has quite new engines, so the difference between the new and the old method is small. And the test result depends on the supplies you ordered to your car. I ordered T-Roc style 1.5 TSI dsg, plus webasto and led package (with automatic air conditioning). I was told that the CO2 level of my new t-roc will rise 3-6 g/km with WLTP. Well, I trusted my sales man and ordered T-Roc.

Sincerely Soop

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ondre said:
from 1.9.2018 is new rule and 1.5 TSI must have PDF Filter installed, that's the Problem
Does the adding of a PDF give it the same short journey problems as on a diesel DPF? My wife only does short runs so this would cause major probs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Soop for the info.

RedRoc: From what I heard and read on car magazines, we know that DPF requires high temperature to do the regeneration and while with diesel engines you have to do highway runs at high revs to complete the DPF regen, in petrol engines like our 1.5 TSI here it should take care of itself without driver knowing because petrol engines heat up much quicker and operate in much higher exhaust temperatures which should be more than enough to complete DPF regen even during the city drive.

That's the theory at least. It does sound logical to me but I guess only practice will show whether it'll be flawless or not.

I personally don't mind DPF if it filters those carcinogen particles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There must be some confusion. DPF (=Diesel Particle Filters) have no use on TSI (Petrol engines).

All current VW Diesel (= TDI) engines have DPF filters.

There is some discussion that Direct Injected Petrol engines, like those VW engines used on T-Roc produce more particulates than a Diesel with DPF. If fitted, filters will be called GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filters).

If this is factual, then the current disfavour of Diesel Engines is a bunch of nonsense, as Diesels are inherently more efficient than Petrol, and therefore produce less CO2 per HP than petrol.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Firstly, sorry all for spell checker changing PPF to PDF in my post - turned off now so many more miss-spells to come ☺.

Adam11 - that sounds reasonable as you say petrols do warm up a lot, lot quicker than diesels. But my 'better half' rarely gets her current petrol Golf up to temp before stopping. So a problem I see is, as in diesel's, when the extra fuel is 'dumped' into the engine/sump, the petrol will probably remove all the oil lubricant from the cylinders, causing engine problems.
Are all petrol engines going to have PPF's? As in all manufacturers?

Agree that nasties should be removed from exhausts where practical, but within usability.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Agerbundsen said:
There must be some confusion. DPF (=Diesel Particle Filters) have no use on TSI (Petrol engines).

All current VW Diesel (= TDI) engines have DPF filters.

There is some discussion that Direct Injected Petrol engines, like those VW engines used on T-Roc produce more particulates than a Diesel with DPF. If fitted, filters will be called GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filters).

If this is factual, then the current disfavour of Diesel Engines is a bunch of nonsense, as Diesels are inherently more efficient than Petrol, and therefore produce less CO2 per HP than petrol.
Yes it's strange that the Government has changed ideas on diesel's. The current Euro 6 diesels have been proved to be cleaner than equivalent petrols, but they still hammer diesel's - even though they encouraged people to buy them. I also feel sorry for manufacturers who have spent time and effort producing cleaner diesels and now can't sell them (or as many) because of the adverse propaganda.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.