Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Buying a new VW

7K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Ray Cathode 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a new car and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice about where to buy etc.

I bought my last two VW's using Carwow but would prefer to go to the local dealer this time as I have a car to part-exchange and I think it might be easier doing that locally. However, if I'm going to save a lot of money I will use them again. One dealer on Carwow says he will order the car (deposit required) and when it arrives he will value my car. But what happens if I think he is undervaluing my car and I want to walk? I've wasted 4 months and he has my deposit. I have asked him to clarify this.

Got some varying prices this morning ranging from £28,500 to £34,500 using Carwow. Have yet to hear back from the local dealer.

Reactions: ruminguyen
#3 ·
The discount through carwow was so substantial both times it would have been silly not to. Despite having to drive 200 miles down and then up, the deal was £3,000 better than my local dealerships.

#4 ·
Hi Ray, I'm about 3 or 4 weeks (hopefully) away from getting my new T-ROC. It's taking a while, due to the semi-conductor shortages. However, I purchased it via Carfile. Jonathan Lawless (his father Pat started the company 30 or so years ago) has been exemplary so far. He can arrange part-exchange if you require, or not, it's your preference.
The VW dealership he works with have been very easy to do business with and he is up front about the discount he can get for you. This isn't a commercial on his behalf, I haven't bought a brand new car ever before, but my brother used this company, maybe 20 years ago. If nothing else, you might want to check it out for yourself.

#6 ·
Correct ... and the deal you get one week might be better or worse than the following week as circumstances are always changing. You can often sweeten the deal if you say you will close the deal there and then at the right price.

#8 ·
In march I changed my mk1 2015 Tiguan for a Volvo XC40. When I ordered last december I got a trade in quote of £9k, but was told this could go down by the tine I collected it. WBAC gave me a quote of £9k a few weeks before collection, but dropped it after the initial period, and their final quote was £8.5k.

I also had a quote off MOTORWAY, because of the spec of my tig they offered £10k (they go through all the extras to give a better price), but the way they work they market to the trade and get offers back. The offer they came back with and I accepted was £10,850. The buying dealer then arranges collection, and the payment was confirmed in my bank before the collection agent loaded my car on the flatbed.

Dealership didn't care when I turned up without the trade in. The only issue with this is getting there without your car, my misses took me in her car so we were easy.

#10 ·
I also had a quote off MOTORWAY, because of the spec of my tig they offered £10k (they go through all the extras to give a better price), but the way they work they market to the trade and get offers back. The offer they came back with and I accepted was £10,850. The buying dealer then arranges collection, and the payment was confirmed in my bank before the collection agent loaded my car on the flatbed.

Dealership didn't care when I turned up without the trade in. The only issue with this is getting there without your car, my misses took me in her car so we were easy.
That's interesting about the spec because there's over £1000 worth of options on my car but none of the car buying sites I have looked at seem that interested about these. Good to know. Motorway have given me an initial price but I need to upload pictures to get a more accurate idea of the value of the car.

The other thing is my new car will not arrive for about four months (thought it would be longer) so cannot sell at this moment in time. Obviously, a car from stock would be a quicker but the chances of obtaining one with the option I want are slim.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I've had a look at Motorway and that would certainly be an option for selling if I don't part exchange. Also, awaiting a response from Carfile about buying. Also contacted the broker autoebid who has given me the best price - cheaper than Carwow by about £500. So, a lot to consider. Will let you know what happens/how I proceed.

#12 · (Edited)
In march I changed my mk1 2015 Tiguan for a Volvo XC40. When I ordered last December I got a trade in quote of £9k, but was told this could go down by the tine I collected it. WBAC gave me a quote of £9k a few weeks before collection, but dropped it after the initial period, and their final quote was £8.5k.

Dealership didn't care when I turned up without the trade in. The only issue with this is getting there without your car, my misses took me in her car so we were easy. That is why I prefer to deal with No Deposit Car Finance | Get 0 Deposit Loans with Bad Credit | Carplus. No complaints so far!
Cars got so expensive recently that I envy (in a good way) people who can afford to buy one nowadays :)

#13 ·
That’s why leasing has become so popular. And to be fair, it makes economic sense.

I might go for a lease next car as you end up paying about the same but you typically get a lot more car.

#14 ·
I've done the maths in the past & I've never found it to be a great deal.
Always worked out at 4 or 5k extra over the term.
I've always liked the part were you get a new car every 3 or 4 years though 🤷‍♂️

#15 · (Edited)
I've done the maths in the past & I've never found it to be a great deal.
Always worked out at 4 or 5k extra over the term.
I've always liked the part were you get a new car every 3 or 4 years though 🤷‍♂️
I think it depends greatly on both the deal and the car. If the car depreciates a lot, you’ll pay more monthly. I’ve seen some absolute crackers on HotUKDeals of Skoda Karoq for as low as £140/mth. That’s around £5k over the 2 year deal. How much do you think that car would plummet in value over 2 years? I reckon more than or equal to £5k.

Also better for those who don’t do too many miles (like you and I 😉)

Plus no MOT to worry about and you’re always in warranty.

I get that it’s not for everyone and some prices are crazy but if you’re willing to shop around, I think you could find something awesome. My mate was leasing a BMW M140i a couple of years ago for near enough what VW wanted me to pay monthly on my T-roc. The BMW had 3x the power and a full Napa leather interior.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2
#16 ·
An update. So here are the offers I got:

Broker 1: £27450
Broker 2: £27694
Carwow: £28484
Local VW dealer: £29530.

The local VW dealer quoted £35530. I then asked if they would match Carwow and he said he could reduce price by £4000. He also added on a charge of £178 for admin. Which to me is a bit like being asked to pay to enter a shop where you want to buy an item! Hilarious.

#17 ·
Prices for my existing car:

Broker 1: £20000
Broker 2 : referred me to webuyanycar for guide price
Webuyanycar : £19285
Cazoo: £21625
Goodbye car : £21784

Obviously, all these are 'car unseen' quotes and have taken my description of the car as accurate. I wouldn't sell to Webuyanycar because they're cowboys and these quotes are for now rather than when I actually get my new VW so will drop before then.

#19 ·
August 12th. I'm now guessing an early 2022 delivery. Anything before January 12th will be a start to finish deal in less than 5 months. The dealership said less than 3 months for a factory order in normal times is pretty good. So I suppose I should be happy about, it all things considered.

#20 ·
OK. That's not bad considering. My last order before Covid was five months. Did you get an Order Confirmation form from the dealer? On mine it states Handover Comitted Date 30th July 2022. I'm hoping it gets here before then. Used Carfile in the end so appreciate the heads up.

#21 ·
Yes, I got a Confirmation of Order letter and a Vehicle Sales Order and Distance Sale/Off Premises Contract Policy form from the VW dealer. They both arrived in the post a few days after I contacted the broker.
I guess you may be one of the first to get one of the facelifted models. Lucky you!

#22 ·
Yes, I got a Confirmation of Order letter and a Vehicle Sales Order and Distance Sale/Off Premises Contract Policy form from the VW dealer. They both arrived in the post a few days after I contacted the broker.
I guess you may be one of the first to get one of the facelifted models. Lucky you!
So was there a handover committed date at the bottom right hand side of the confirmation of order? Just trying to figure out if that date is deliberately pessimistic.

#26 ·
Build week 14 confirmed. Value of my car is now £22200 with Cazoo. Have a little mark on the paint so trying to decide whether to have this repaired before they arrive for inspection.

#27 ·
Maybe let them see it and tell you how much they will reduce the value. If it's unacceptable, have the paint-job done yourself. If you have time, get yourself an estimate of the job before Cazoo see the car and do the maths.

#28 ·
Yes, that seems sensible. Had another look at Cazoo this morning and the valuation has increased to £22375. So I did another valuation and the difference between 'with' and 'without' the damage is £175. So I might just leave it and take a chance. I'm sure the bodyshop would charge more.

#29 ·
So my new car is now ready for delivery. Was ordered in early Jan and is now going through the PDI. That means it has taken about three and a half months for factory order. My last two VW's took longer and there was no chip shortage or covid lockdowns back then. Very surprised about this but obviously very happy too.

Dealer has told me it will be delivered to my address which is ok but I would have preferred to pick it up myself. However, I have been told that the car is at the PDI location and doesn't get to dealer. Is there anything I need to be aware of as I have only ever collected new cars, apart from the obvious check for damage and spec?

Another little bonus was that the value of my current car has increased by £750 since 11th April!! This means that depreciation over the two years of ownership (6200 miles) is £1575. I did consider a Troc but needed a car with a large boot so went for another Passat. Didn't bother with Park Assist this time as I have never used it. Only factory-fitted option I went for was the Area View Camera.

#30 ·
Congratulations Ray - you will be well pleased with the lead time.

I'm somewhat surprised with the delivery though, as most dealers like the personal touch at hand over, not just to go through operation of the main features (which can be a bit of a bore for some but perhaps essential for others) but it is also a chance for the sales person to show their appreciation for the order and offer to deal with any problems or questions in the days ahead. As I say, a personal touch.

A showroom hand over aso gives the customer time to examine the car for any bodywork, cosmetic or functional issues, whereas a delivery to your home is more likely to be just a drop off, drive away and leave you to it. I have no experience of online purchases through the likes of CarWow etc. but I expect they would follow the drop off model.

But I've never encountered a proper bricks & mortar dealership which did PDI off-site, most preferring to use their own workshop and valeting.

I hope it works out OK for you and doesn't spoil the new car experience.

Reactions: Ray Cathode
#34 · (Edited)
Thanks. So for the first time I went for a broker with this one but still expected to collect from dealer. But I have an email from dealer back in Dec which states the car does go to a PDI centre - I had asked for mudguards to be fitted but she explained it couldn't be done as the car doesn't go to dealer. I forgot all about this. Dealer seems to have made an error with balance to pay as it is about £5000 less than I was expecting so will need to clarify this. Could be VAT has not been added.

Bought two from Carwow and collected from dealer on both occasions.

#31 ·
I was very pleased with Spanish dealers if they have to move your car they don’t drive it they put it on a trailer / car transporter. My new T-roc had 4Km on the clock when I picked it up my wife’s seat Arona had 12Km on the clock when she picked it up. 10Km of that we did test driving the car before buying it.
UK garages think it’s ok to use a new stock car for test drives run it up to 200 miles or more and then pretend it’s still a new car and not a demonstrator and charge full price for it.

#32 ·
My car was ordered via a broker, but the supplying dealer was over a hundred miles from my house. The car was delivered to me on a low-loader, which meant 8 miles on the clock instead of about 108 or more. Yes, I didn't get a handover in the showroom, but the delivery driver allowed me time to check over the car.

#35 ·
Anyone any ideas why I keep getting dumped off this site with the "Oops something went wrong" message. No adblocker switched on but getting it a lot lately.

#37 ·
That's usually when you try to do something which you don't have access/permission for, such as posting a new message.

Might be your session has expired or other posts have been made in the same thread, although that now brings up a special message. When you log in, do you tick the checkbox to stay logged in ?

Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Parallel

#36 ·
Not sure if my car's PDI was at dealership or not. I asked for mudflaps pretty much when I first ordered the car and it came to me with them fitted.

#38 ·
I'm continously logged in. Can't remember the last time I had to sign - months ago. Maybe that's the problem but I never experience problems on other sites I use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.