Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues with car net not accepting the activation code ?. I just keep getting an error message saying 'no data link'. The car will connect to both the house wi fi & my phone as a personal hotspot but just will not accept the activation code. It's booked into the dealers next week but I wondered if anyone else had encountered this ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I thought Car Net was on the spec for a SE model but it wouldn't recognise my VIN, I have got VW Connect to work with the Data plug, any SE owners got Car Net to work and is it worth going back to the Dealers or contacting VW direct? not sure if it's worth having

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know what you mean - don't know about carnet but I have a data plug with my Golf. Not sure it provides anything useful but I like the feature where it tells you on the phone app where you've parked the car. I would like to stress that I don't need that help yet :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the topic of car net.
I can connect my phone and the likes so I do get data.
But I take it to get the notifications on doors and lights and position you need the sim card permanently plugged in to the usb, so the car is always connected.
I have tried to watch some videos and still not sure what the troc SEL has as standard and what it does and how it does it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My phone often won't connect to the data port, so VW Connect is rather hit & miss. Not bothered by that in general except that it's that that books your service for you "automatically" and if it doesn't know my mileage, well...
It connects OK again if I reboot my phone (it's the phone's fault, not the dataport, had the same problem with my Volvo).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the biggest features of car net is the in built tracking device that utilises the car nets in built gsm SIM card in the dashboard so it works even when your phones not connected to the car. Sadly my car net hasn't worked in the 6 months I've had the car as it won't upload data or tell me the status of the doors being locked etc. The car has been to the dealers 4 times & had the car net module unit replaced, software updates etc but still won't work. VWUK customer services have today advised me that VW Germany which hosts the car net computer servers are aware of an ongoing issue that is affecting thousands of cars & currently do not have a solution to the problem. Could I ask if anyone here has a functioning car net ?. Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
CJD. I have a functioning CarNet. On pick up from dealer it wouldn't connect to mobile but the dealer replaced a module which required the dar to be up on the ramp and all has been well since week one rrom pick up. I presume new software was also updated at the same time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Tried to register with Car Net online but it won't accept my VIN. Does anyone know why not ?.

Notwithstanding that, I am confused as to the usefulness of Car Net and Volkswagen Connect. Are they linked, the same thing or what?. Are they linked in anyway to Android Auto, Waze etc or just superfluous techý addons ?. My sales representative never mentioned them nor did he give me a data plug.

:?: Basically "DO I NEED EITHER CAR NET AND OR VW CONNECT?.

Also when I eventually paired my phone to the infotainment screen by Bluetooth, I tried to make a phone call but got a message on the phone to say I needed a 'code' obtainable from my VW sales rep. Again no mention of this on handover of the car. Why do I need a code from VW?.

HELP needed from a :geek: ;)

PS
Just noticed the configurator has optional extras of:

a) Car-Net Guide & Inform * 3 year subscription

a) Car-net App-connect & VW Media ....... £0

b) Car-net with Secuity & Service ..........£350 but adding any of these options requires one to also add Discover Navigation etc for £780.

I assume therefore that to accept my VIN, Car-Net needed to have been added as an optional extra.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My dealer confirmed Car-Net is a chargeable optional extra which I don't 'Need' nor is VW Connect necessary.
Bluetooth / Phone / Android Auto / Waze / Google Maps / Amazon Music / performance data all working OK so now happy with 'techy' bits & bobs of the T-Roc....except still got to try out Parking Assist in a quiet location whilst no-one is watching :oops: , I don't want to scratch the Car!.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as I understand this is what all the car net and connect stuff is. I have all of this as the r-line comes with it standard. Hope it helps. I might be wrong on some of them.

Car net app connect = this is just Apple CarPlay or Android auto which you don't need a subscription for, just a usb cable and phone.

Car Net guide and inform = rubbish, just some internet services like the weather. you still need a phone hotspot to connect to for internet anyway. Just ask Siri instead if you want the same info.

Car Net security and service = activates the emergency call and service buttons in the roof. This is pretty good for emergency or if you break down. But not sure I'd pay extra for it.

Car net app = only benefit of using this app over the vw connect one is that it gives you your mpg usage and shows if your cars locked or not.

App Connect = free data plug connects your car to the vw connect app which is really nice. Has your journeys and driving data etc. I like this app.

Basically apple car play and a data plug for vw Connect is all I use. I can see the mpg usage when in the car on the AID.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yay, seven visits to the main dealer over 6 months & my car net finally works. Turned out it was a faulty control module that controls the sos button above the rear view mirror. The main reason I wanted the car net working is due too the in built tracking device that car net provides. My car is still at the dealers 4 mile away ( they wanted to re check it all in the morning) & the tracking device now works as I can see the cars location on the car net app. The other features are neither here nor there with info such as mileage, fuel levels etc but given the amount of car thefts these days a tracking device hardwired into the mainframe has to be worth having

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, I purchased my T-ROC 2.0TDI SEL , a 6 month old one, last weekend, that came with me 10 year subscription to Car Net.
Activation was quite straightforward but did need the WLAN connection, from either home WiFi or Personal hotspot on my iphone.

However, when out and about, Car Net will only work if Personal hotspot is turned on.

I haven't as yet bought the usb car stick as that needs another data sim plan.

The car net app does work from phone when away from the car.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Forgot to mention that registration was online on the Car-Net website

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since purchasing my car in July my car I have had a revised module fitted within one week and all functions have worked without error. I was then contacted by the dealer to say that a software update and the replacement of two screws which were deemed necessary by VW and I duly went along and it was completed within one hour. The bad news is that it no longer works properly and the data plug doesn't either. One week on, no contact from the dealer to say he has the parts!! Not good service eh.

G

·
I had it in my car for 30 minutes and couldn't see any benifit to it, just a gimmick and more use to vw than me. Took it out again.
Also I didn't like the idea of vw watching every move or the way I drive my car.
I must admit the way I drive my car is probably being logged in the car for dealer reference anyway 🤔

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.