Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all
I got my 1.5 6speed manual lovely T-ROC in August.
When I first drove it home, after 12 km I noticed that it was smelling a bit. I called the dealer and they told me that it is normal as it is brand
new and the material are getting hot first time etc.
So we went for a weekend with the car. We mainly drove on the motorway with cruise control and 5th and 6th gear.
When we returned home a couple of days later with only 309 km on the clock and after taking the exit I could not engage any gear. The clutch was partially stuck half way and I stopped on the side of the road. The car was towed to the dealer. A couple of days later I was informed that the clutch was completely warn!!!
I could not believe it so I went to the dealer to see for myself.
Here are some pictures of the warn clutch.

And here are some questions
How can a clutch be destroyed like that after only 309 km of standard on road driving
Why is the clutch completely warn of from one side while from the other it still has friction material?

Still waiting for the answers from my dealer.....

I read in another post about the clutch delay valve
https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266&start=90
Could that have caused the problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's terrible news, sorry to see that. Looks like clutch misalignment to me from the factory. Do not let them fob you off saying it's not covered until warranty. Should not have happened after such a short journey.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Max.
Indeed initially I was told that I should pay for it because it is not covered by warranty. However after complaining they agreed that they will fix it without charging me.
I still insist on getting an official reply from them that I am not to blame and that it was a problem in the car from the start...

·
Registered
5 Posts
This exact situation has just happened to me!

I bought the car brand new from Volkswagen around 2 months ago and the car now has 700 miles on the clock (I don't drive a lot).

I took the car back to the VW garage and they have come back to say that the clutch is burnt and not covered by my warranty.

Please can you give me some advice on how you managed to get them to take responsibility and cover the repairs?

Thank you

·
Registered
202 Posts
Emily9420, When we picked our T'roc up, salesman said that wear and tear items were covered under 3 month's warranty. Don't know if this is a VW or Dealer thing, but may be worth asking about. I would not pay a penny after such a short time/mileage and if they won't cover the cost - tell them you're rejecting the car, they may then feel like paying.
Is yours a 1.5 petrol like 'vengelis'?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,

I bought directly from VW so will have to research that! From the conversation I had with them initially they say I'm not at all covered by warranty as the fault is down to a 'driver error' (he gave riding the clutch as an example) which isn't something that I do, but you would expect the car to be built to withstand that regardless considering such a low mileage and age!

Mine is actually a 1.0 se like yours!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks Emily. Sounds like VW may be having clutch problems across their brands after reading your (other) thread.
Must say that mine does feel a bit different to previous VW's when letting the clutch out in 1st. Hope it's not the sign of events to come.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Emily9430 said:
Hey,

I bought directly from VW so will have to research that! From the conversation I had with them initially they say I'm not at all covered by warranty as the fault is down to a 'driver error' (he gave riding the clutch as an example) which isn't something that I do, but you would expect the car to be built to withstand that regardless considering such a low mileage and age!

Mine is actually a 1.0 se like yours!
Hi Emiley did they fix it free and anymore problems !

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Well spotted Dolphinfriendly.

The burning smell could have lingered from the first clutch failure, but that would not explain the second loss of drive after the first repair. Sounds like they are trying it on and looking for an excuse.

Clutch burn out is the result of prolonged periods where the clutch is slipping, ie not firmly gripped between the clutch pressure plate and the flywheel. It is true that driving with a foot resting on the clutch pedal is one of the most common causes of such failure, but I would be very surprised that this could happen after a few hundred miles as in the OP. So a more likely explanation is that there is/was a problem in the clutch operation, either in the clutch assembly, eg a warped pressure plate or a problem with the diaphragm spring or release bearing, or a problem in the pedal/linkage adjustment or snagging.

If in such circumstances the clutch was biting then slipping then biting again, that could be the cause of the kangaroo effect discussed elsewhere and would explain why software fixes haven't cured the problem, but may have masked it by altering the anti-stall or idle speed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't mention what engine was fitted.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The OP was 1.5 manual, but short of contacting 'the judge' at the Daily Record we don't know details of that report.

I imagine the judge might be interested in hearing about this forum and/or hearing from individuals. Has Honest John not compiled details ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dolphinfriendly1012 said:
Thank you VW
After the DieselGate we are waiting for the ClutchGate

Just to update you on our case, we got the car in August 2018 and after only 309km the car broke down due to complete clutch failure.
After many negotiations that lasted for a month or two we were offered a new car. We had to wait for around five months.
New car should arrive by the end of February.

Fingers crossed it does not fail again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A final update on the situation of the burnt clutch at 309km.
After rejecting the car (with some effort) we recently got a completely new T-ROC 1.5 manual
and it works like a beauty!
Very happy with the new car.
We just had to wait a lot for it (3 months for the first order, than a couple of months of negotiating and then 5 more months for the second order), but it was worth it!
Happy motoring to all of you!!!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
vangelis said:
A final update on the situation of the burnt clutch at 309km.
After rejecting the car (with some effort) we recently got a completely new T-ROC 1.5 manual
and it works like a beauty!
Very happy with the new car.
We just had to wait a lot for it (3 months for the first order, than a couple of months of negotiating and then 5 more months for the second order), but it was worth it!
Happy motoring to all of you!!!
Hi vangelis, glad to hear you got your car exchanged and that you are (currently) happy with the new one.

You didn't mention in your original post if you had experienced the kangaroo effect, but perhaps the faulty clutch and/or only 309km masked any kangaroos.

What about the new car ? Any kangarooing or hesitation at junctions etc ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I turn 46 on my next birthday. I've been driving for 28 years. In April 2018 I paid a premium for what I thought was best in its class. VW Touran. Only my third totally new car. 15 months later the clutch completely burnt out. Having spoken to the dealer and VW Ireland they both stated driver error and my style of driving. The dealer knocked €175 off the €1375 bill as a goodwill gesture to a valued customer. I found this quite weak. After 27 years of not burning out clutches I wasn't satisfied but had no recourse. As I only picked up my Touran this week, having had the clutch replaced, can anyone suggest where I can re-train my style of driving and of not riding the clutch so that I can continue driving my VW touran.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I logged in to this forum because of the same problem, even though I'm from Bosnia. I've been a driver for 20 years. My one year old T-ROC car, which went 6,000 miles, stopped yesterday. Before it stopped, it started jumping for a few seconds. I've never experienced that. The service says the clutch has burnt out.And that is a mistake in my driving style. Today they are removing the engine, I expect nothing because they have already informed me that I will have to pay the costs as they do not cover the warranty. And as a highlight of cheekiness, they told me, last month there was another woman with the same clutch problem, and that she paid even though she only crossed 1000 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.