Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to the beach yesterday and when I came back to the car my son spotted the windscreen had been hit by something and was cracked.

Called VW Ensurance as I'd prefer it was replaced by a VW windscreen. The call was redirected immediately to National Windscreens, will hear back from them tomorrow.

Then I checked my insurance and it says they will replace the windscreen to any amount provided I use Highway Glass line but only up to £100 if I use any other company. Called the number and it went through to Autoglass. They advised it would take 2 weeks to get a replacement windscreen as they don't have any in stock as T-Roc is a new model. They also advised that because it's a new model they would be unable to calibrate the camera again and I would have to take it VW to be calibrated at my own expense.

Can anyone offer any advice??

·
Registered
402 Posts
The latter seems standard. Got my first and only ever replacement windscreen in my last car and had to take it to Volvo dealer to recalibrate safety cameras. Cost £50, out of my own pocket. Could have claimed on insurance, but you wouldn't, would you. Windscreen replacement was free (Autoglass) and a superb job.

·
Registered
456 Posts
NOTE: WEB ADDRESS EDITED -'S' REMOVED
You have the right to choose your own repaired whether it's just for windscreen replacement or major crash repairs under consumer laws as detailed here:

www.motorclaimguru.co.uk Click on 'Your Rights as a Consumer' tab on LHS menu.

When a car is under warranty and the manufacturer offers a service such as VW's Endurance you have the right to contact them direct prior to advising your insurance company. This is similar to the equivalent 'Call Mazda First' scheme which covers my present Mazda3.

These manufacturer's warranty services act on your behalf, arranging repairs, ensuring quality approved VW parts are used (in the case of crash repairs) and liaising with your insurance company regarding cost etc.

I suggest you contact your insurance company and give your approval for them to accept a call from Ensurance if this is the route you prefer. However in the case of windscreen damage insurance companies generally have 'windscreen repair/replacement' arrangements with quality companies covering the situation relating to the claims/no-claims terms of your policy.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You both! Autoglass came today and replaced the windscreen with a VW windscreen. Calibration taking place on Weds at VW! £75 excess paid today and I will pay for the calibration but insurance company will reimburse me - all covered as a windscreen claim on insurance which does affect my no claims.

Autoglass done a great job!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
JosieB said:
Thank You both! Autoglass came today and replaced the windscreen with a VW windscreen. Calibration taking place on Weds at VW! £75 excess paid today and I will pay for the calibration but insurance company will reimburse me - all covered as a windscreen claim on insurance which does affect my no claims.

Autoglass done a great job!!
Which company was Autoglass associated with, VW Ensurance's National Windscreens or your Insurances's WS repairer's Highway Gass?.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Through my insurance company - Highway Glass.

The windscreen Came from VW which was my main concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi had a small chip in my windowscreen about 4 weeks ago, called my insurance and they use autoglass. Arranged to get chip repaired but the technician said it was to big to repair(35mm) , said it would fail mot when needed as it was within steering wheel diameter although it was low down by the bonnet top. I arranged for a new w/screen and told it was not in stock so would have to order from VW dealer. Then told it would be fitted tomorrow. Came home from holiday early today only to have a message from autoglass advising me w/screen been placed on back order, and they don't know when it will arrive!!!. Phoned and asked them to come and fix the chip so I could at least use the car they said they won't fix chip as a new screen is on order and they see no point in repairing it. I asked the lady if I can drive the car and she said yes being laminated the screen won't implode onto me. Is it me or does this sound unreassuring to hear?? Not confident to drive car incase the chip turns into a crack and spreads or even shatters. Interested in your views please.

Bas

·
Registered
240 Posts
You won't need to worry about the screen shattering. As it's laminated it's two pieces of glass with a plastic layer inbetween, it's actually this layer that gives the screen it's tint. There is a chance the crack may grow but it won't affect the integrity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Phoned my local VW dealer this morning to ask delivery time on a w/screen, he said about 2 days as warehouse stock showed plenty there. I then phoned autoglass to ask why they could not get one from my local dealer? The lady explained it's all done from a central dealership as they have an account there. She said it was possible that if we ordered one from local dealers it would come up as a back order! I accepted this after she said she would chase it up. An hour later autoglass phoned to say there supplier had found one in the warehouse that they got but the customer didn't need it??? They have arranged fitting for Tuesday 4th September. Watch this space!!!!

Bas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Window screen replaced on the day advised, told needed to recalibrate camera. Told it had to be done by VW. Next day noticed the cowling that is at the bottom of screen was cracked, so took some pictures and phoned autoglass to let them know. Spoke to a lady and explained the problem she said no worries will be done under warranty , I said I would send photos to show the damage and the part required she said no need they would order part and when in would arrange to fit. Then the lady said they would have to bring another screen incase the new one they had just fitted broke on removal, I explained I didn't think screen needed to be removed but she was sure it would so I accepted she probably new best! Not convinced I booked the appointment for the part to be replaced. When the fitter from autoglass arrived you've guessed no part, he said he had the screen but it wasn't necessary as part was not connected to screen and could be removed without taking screen out,,! But damage had to have a video taken so they could see the part required!! He then asked if they recalibrated the camera when new screen fitted,I explained that the fitter said they cannot do Audi,VW,seat,Skoda cars but had to go to main dealer he said this was not the case. Today I received a letter from autoglass telling me for safety reasons I should have the camera calibrated at a VW main dealer. Confused I await my next contact from autoglass telling me my part has arrived and booking an appointment for the fitting. Who knows what will happen next????

Bas

·
Registered
456 Posts
In hindsight, do you think VW ENSURANCE/HIGHWAY GLASS (see OP) could have dealt with the whole procedure more efficiently?. Your opinion would be welcome as I have just registered with VW Endurance.

See introduction of my new Thread in forum listings.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: Endurance.. oops, S & D are adjacent on the keyboard, easy to make spelling mistake :oops: .

·
Registered
18 Posts
HI
I also had a a replacement windscreen fitted on 5th Sept fitted by Auto Windscreens (RAC Insurance recommended installers) - £60 excess only
the car was then recalibrated on the 20th Sept - all of this was organised and co-ordinated by Auto Windscreens (the calibration was also included at no extra cost- - it was pointed out to me that they check out if the alignment of the steering needs adjusting - extra cost to myself if adjustments are needed - no adjustment required ). The work was carried to my satisfaction and I would recommend them highly - VW genuine windscreen fitted.
Check out your Insurance coverage
T-ROG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.