Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Acc only, sure its a brilliant job 👌
You can brake or accelerate whenever you want.
You can adjust the speed up & down via the steering wheel buttons anytime.
You can adjust the distance to the car in front, before the T-Roc brakes. Again adjustable via the steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
ACC is much safer. If you nod off (not that you should be driving when tired though!!!) ACC could save your life as it will bring the car to a stop slowly and safely when it detects you’re unresponsive to the steering.

However, as @Vernerbongo2 says, you can override all aspects of ACC and all you have to do is begin braking to cancel ACC altogether. You then just press the Res (resume) button on the steering wheel to let the car take over again.

I do occasionally press the brakes manually while using ACC - usually when some idiot changes lanes a few feet from my front bumper but once I’ve regained a safe distance I press Res and let the car handle the distance again.

It really is excellent on long motorway journeys. Much better than standard cruise control.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So more irritating tech that’s meant to aid safety. Touch screens should be banned, you have to look and on uk roads it takes several touches as the car bounces up and down. I can still drive better than the car. I think my ten year old Slk must have hit the peak of useful tech. Vw’s is dreadful, I suppose I should have realised that by the state of their website.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
So more irritating tech that’s meant to aid safety. Touch screens should be banned, you have to look and on uk roads it takes several touches as the car bounces up and down. I can still drive better than the car. I think my ten year old Slk must have hit the peak of useful tech. Vw’s is dreadful, I suppose I should have realised that by the state of their website.
In fairness, some of these things (auto emergency braking, for example) has saved my bacon a couple of times in situations I would not have been able to avoid due to someone unexpectedly doing something very quickly. Most of the time I react to things fast enough but we are also human and occasionally we miss things. I’d rather have the car back me up in situations like that.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
ACC combined with DSG and multi-function steering wheel is the ultimate driver aid IMHO. It actually measures the distance between you and the car in front, the relative speed between the cars (gap closing or opening), and combines these with your current speed and set speed. Using all of these parameters allows the system to predict when to accelerate, coast or brake and the optimum distance to the car in front is adjusted according to the current speed - so a greater distance at 60 mph than at 30 mph. Controlling the ACC and adjusting the set speed and distance are all done via the left-hand cluster of buttons on the multi-function steering wheel, so there is no need to take your eyes off the road and it becomes easier the more you use it. Much better than those pesky stalks as used on Skodas for some weird reason.

And with DSG, if you are in traffic that is slowing and overtaking isn't possible, the DSG will shift up and down through the gears as needed. In fact, with DSG the ACC can slow to a complete stop at traffic lights and then resume when the car in front moves off.

If someone overtakes you and cuts in early, the ACC doesn't brake provided the other car is moving faster and the gap is opening. Of course, if they overtake and lift off the throttle as they cut in, your car will apply the brakes if needed to open/maintain the gap.

Yes you can touch the brakes as Twist stated, to suspend ACC and then Resume, as the set speed is remembered until you turn the ACC off completely. But rather than touching the brakes, I usually press 0/1 (Off/On) button unless braking is actually needed. I do that when approaching roundabouts so as to coast for a bit to reduce speed gradually and only brake when needed. To switch the ACC off completely, press and hold the 0/1 button, or press it twice.

And you can also still use the throttle pedal if you need to briefly increase the speed (eg when overtaking), then simply take your foot off the pedal to return to the set speed.

What's not to like ? Well some people don't like how the ACC will not overtake on the inside even when allowed, such as when a motorway is dividing. Simple, when you realise the car is slowing unnecessarily, either use the throttle pedal or press the 0/1 button to temporarily suspend the ACC.

Frankly, I would never go back to a car with the 'old' (non-adaptive) cruise control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts