Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for the length of this post but hopefully it will prove useful to others.

While searching for the elusive speed warning setting a few days ago (see Turn off speed warning), I inadvertedly altered the Active Info Display on my car and instead of showing my fuel consumption 'Since start' in the centre of the left dial as it has always done since new, it mysteriously changed to showing 'Long-term'. Here are 'before' (10/03/20) and 'after' (today 28/04/22) photos (note: the similarity of the 2 mpg figures is just coincidence) ...

Vehicle Speedometer Car Plant Gauge

Despite several hours searching through various versions of the owner's manual and going through all the menus and car settings I couldn't find a way to switch this back to 'Since start', but when I used my wife's key to unlock the car, the 'Since start' data was still displayed. While trying fix mine, I made matters worse by accidentally resetting my 'Long-term' data, so more annoyance and foul language ensued.

My car is a 2019 model and has an Mib2 Infotainment system, so the photos, descriptions of menus and settings which follow are likely to be different to those which appear on newer cars fitted with the Mib3 sysytem.

Thankfully the 3 sets of consumption figures ('Since start', 'Long-term' and 'Since Refuelling') still appeared on the Infotainment screen as shown in the composite photo below (although the Long-term had now been reset), but regardless of which one I left displayed on the Infotainment screen, the AID remained stuck on Long-term and using the Infotainment screen for mpg while driving is fiddly, distracting and is not what I had before.

Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

So I next tried the obvious thing ... Using the buttons on the right of the steering wheel, I set the Multifuntion Display (the rectangular section between the 2 dials) to show 'Driving data' then scrolled Up/Down and selected 'Consuption' thinking I might be able to find an option there to choose which set of consuption data I wanted. No such luck, Consumption always displays the instantaneous mpg and that's all.

Next up, I tried cycling through the different AID 'View' options but annoyingly these also showed the 'Long-term' data.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Then searching through photos in the forum, I realised some had the Multifunction Display set to show 'Overview' which included the name of the driving data so I selected that but alas that too was stuck at Long-term as shown in these 2 photos ...

Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Tachometer Odometer

By now I'd just about torn out all my remaining hair and just couldn't get 'Since start' to reappear in any of these views. Deciding I'd had enough and needed another break, I thought I'd better set the Multifunction Display back to show 'Speed' as I find that really hard to miss when driving.

Normally, to change the Driving Data option shown in the MFD you first press 'OK' to display the list of options and then scroll Up/Down to the one you want to display. Guess what ... when I pressed 'OK' while displaying 'Overview', the 'Long-term' data was replaced by 'Since start' and on pressing 'OK' once more, it changed to 'Since Refuelling'. Here was me trying the Up/Down and Left/Right buttons to cycle through the different data memories.

It turns out that when displaying 'Overview', you have to press Up/Down buttons to bring up the MFD Driving Data options rather than pressing 'OK' as you do in every other circumstance. Typical VW inconsistency.

Just to prove it works, here are my now restored AID dials showing mpg in the left dial since start, long-term and since refuelling, and the other data such as driving time and distance can be shown in the MFD by selecting Driving Data/Overview as described above.

Car Vehicle Gauge Automotive mirror Motor vehicle

In Summary:
I believe the default is to display 'Since start' data in the AID and MFD, but if you want to display 'Long-term' or 'Since refuelling', here is what to do (on cars with digital display and multifunction steering wheel)
  1. Press the Left/Right (menu) buttons on the right side of the steering wheel to scroll through the options, and select Driving Data
  2. The last used Driving Data category will display in the MFD (eg Speed or Range)
  3. Press Up/Down buttons to scroll through the Driving Data categories and select 'Overview'
  4. When the 'Overview' data is displayed in the MFD, the current memory name (ie 'Since start', 'Long-term' or 'Since refuelling') will also be shown.
  5. Press 'OK' repeatedly to cycle through the 3 memories
  6. Once you have selected the memory that you want, you can now change the Driving Data category (eg to Range, Speed, Oil Temperature etc.) by using the Up/Down buttons to cycle through the categories. The selected memory data (eg 'Since refuelling') will continue to be shown in the AID for Driving Time, Distance and mpg.
  7. If you want to display other information in the MFD (eg Navigation, Radio etc.), first select a different category of driving data other than Overview, as described in (6) above, then use the Left/Right buttons to cycle through the other MFD items as described in (1) above.
I hope others will find that useful and it introduces some new features and operation of the AID and MFD which are undocumented in any of the owner's manuals. It was certainly a learning experience for me 馃榿o_O

Registered
Thanks for the info Impala, I鈥檝e had difficulty in the past resetting my ideal driving data info display after accidentally pressing the wrong buttons on the steering wheel.
I do like the amount of info and the new digital dials, but I still miss the easy rest button on the short trip mileage button, plus a time showing on the info display.

Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
I don't use the user profiles as I'm the soul driver so everything is easier 馃槒馃お
I keep mine on the average mpg's since refuelling!!!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Impala, I鈥檝e had difficulty in the past resetting my ideal driving data info display after accidentally pressing the wrong buttons on the steering wheel.
I do like the amount of info and the new digital dials, but I still miss the easy rest button on the short trip mileage button, plus a time showing on the info display.
Hi @Ian91 -
Just to be clear, short trip mileage is part of the 'Since start' data and is not the same thing as the Trip odometer which appears at the bottom of the instrument cluster.

If your ignition has been switched off for more than 2 hours, the 'Since start' data will be automatically cleared, but since it accumulates any short trips with less than 2 hours between them you may want to manually reset the data at a time of your choice or at a particular point in your journey. To reset 'Since start' data, proceed as follows;

• Press the Left/Right menu buttons on right side of steering wheel to first select Driving Data, then press Up/Down to select Overview. Once the Overview data appears in the MFD, check the title at the top of the data.

• If it already displays 'Since start', simply press and hold 'OK' until the data is reset.

• If the Overview in the MFD shows 'Long-term' or 'Since refuelling', press 'OK' repeatedly until you see 'Since start', then press and hold 'OK' until the data is reset.

However, if by a 'short trip' you mean something like a weekend break for example, and you want the total mileage over that interval, then 'Since start' is not suitable due to the 2 hour reset, so you could reset theTrip odometer and use that, but it will only provide the mileage and will not provide average mpg or driving time. If you want all that data, then you could reset the 'Long-term' data in the Overview and use that for your 'trip', assuming you are willing to lose the existing 'Long-term' data.

As a third option, you could fill (or part fill) your tank before starting your 'trip'. That will automatically reset the 'Since refuelling' data and the milage, average mpg and driving time will then accumulate until you next add more fuel, giving perhap 400+ miles coverage. If you need more than that for your 'trip', then the 'Long-term' data is the one to use.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't use the user profiles as I'm the soul driver so everything is easier 馃槒馃お
I keep mine on the average mpg's since refuelling!!!
Sounds like you already knew how to switch between the 3 sets of data @Vernerbongo2 :)

Did I miss something in the manual or were you just lucky to find it ? :geek:

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
Sounds like you already knew how to switch between the 3 sets of data @Vernerbongo2 :)

Actually I knew it shortly after ownership 馃槀
I originally kept it at long term MPG'S 馃憣

Everyday's a school day 馃榿

Registered
Following on from the original poster鈥檚 query, I made a journey in my t-roc today and noticed something a bit strange. My display is set as shown in the photo鈥

Vehicle Car Speedometer Odometer Gauge

The thing is, I originally had it set to show this info but for the current journey, not long-term! I don鈥檛 recall changing it and for the life of me, I cannot find it again. I am wondering if there has been some recent software update 鈥榠mprovement鈥 that has done away with that view. I have the MiB3 infotainment system. Incidentally I also found recently that my dipping wing mirror had forgotten its dipped position and had to be reset.

Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
@Ste007 maybe you hit a steering wheel button unknowingly?
your preferred driving data display should be easily changed back, just toogle the up/down buttons on the right side of the steering wheel & select OK.
Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering wheel Automotive design

As for the reverse gear wing mirror lowering fault, not much you can do about that other than what you've done.
If it keeps doing it and you're under warranty, take it up with the dealer.

Reactions: Ste007

Registered
I have tried toggling through the pages as you suggested but it just doesn鈥檛 seem to be there any more. I will have to set aside a bit of time parked on the driveway and gave a proper look

Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
My 鈥渄ip in reverse鈥 function has stopped returning to normal after driving away. This has been a widely reported bug in VW鈥檚 cars for years. Lazy software development as usual from VAG: their bugs never get fixed. I鈥檝e even heard reports of it still being present in MIB3 cars.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

Registered
Depending on the age of your T-Roc you travel the states by pressing 鈥極K鈥 as noted in post #4. Short press for traveling, long press to reset. My T-Roc is 2021.

• If the Overview in the MFD shows 'Long-term' or 'Since refuelling', press 'OK' repeatedly until you see 'Since start', then press and hold 'OK' until the data is reset.
Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Family car

Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part Gauge Tachometer

Registered
Depending on the age of your T-Roc you travel the states by pressing 鈥極K鈥 as noted in post #4. Short press for traveling, long press to reset. My T-Roc is 2021.

View attachment 4289

View attachment 4290
Thanks for the advice. I haven鈥檛 tried this so will give it a go next time I am in the car.

Registered
My 鈥渄ip in reverse鈥 function has stopped returning to normal after driving away. This has been a widely reported bug in VW鈥檚 cars for years. Lazy software development as usual from VAG: their bugs never get fixed. I鈥檝e even heard reports of it still being present in MIB3 cars.
One day mine just started swinging outwards instead of down for no apparent reason. All I had to do to remedy the problem was put the car into reverse and use the mirror joystick to reset it back to the desired position and it has been fine ever since.

Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
I have tried toggling through the pages as you suggested but it just doesn鈥檛 seem to be there any more. I will have to set aside a bit of time parked on the driveway and gave a proper look
OK, it seems there are differing ways our T-roc's toggle & function through the model year.
Just have a good play around with all the buttons & you'll get there 馃憣馃榿

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Following on from the original poster鈥檚 query, I made a journey in my t-roc today and noticed something a bit strange. My display is set as shown in the photo鈥

The thing is, I originally had it set to show this info but for the current journey, not long-term! I don鈥檛 recall changing it and for the life of me, I cannot find it again. I am wondering if there has been some recent software update 鈥榠mprovement鈥 that has done away with that view. I have the MiB3 infotainment system. Incidentally I also found recently that my dipping wing mirror had forgotten its dipped position and had to be reset.
As described in my opening post (#1) and again in post #4 ...

In Summary: (Edited)
I believe the default is to display 'Since start' data in the AID and MFD, but if you want to display 'Long-term' or 'Since refuelling', here is what to do (on cars with digital display and multifunction steering wheel)

1. If necessary, repeatedly press the Left/Right (menu) buttons on the right side of the steering wheel to scroll through the options, until the MFD displays Driving Data
  2. The last used Driving Data category will display in the MFD (eg Speed or Range)
  3. If necessary, repeatedly press Up/Down buttons to scroll through the Driving Data categories until the MFD displays 'Overview'
  4. When the 'Overview' data is displayed in the MFD, the current memory name (ie 'Since start', 'Long-term' or 'Since refuelling') will also be shown.

Apologies to all if that wasn't clear.

Registered
As described in my opening post (#1) and again in post #4 ...

In Summary:

1. Press the Left/Right (menu) buttons on the right side of the steering wheel to scroll through the options, and select Driving Data
  3. Press Up/Down buttons to scroll through the Driving Data categories and select 'Overview'

Apologies to all if that wasn't clear.
This is great, thanks. It鈥檚 not that it wasn鈥檛 clear it鈥檚 just me being a bit dense :rolleyes:

Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL

I owe you an apology 馃檲
I didn't have the set up you talked about in your tutorial!!

Had a look & poke about today & it turns out I only have "since start data" displayed on my dials.
In fact it also turns out that's the only option I have, I don't have the "overview" option on my MFD menu. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔忦煠

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
... Had a look & poke about today & it turns out I only have "since start data" displayed on my dials.
In fact it also turns out that's the only option I have, I don't have the "overview" option on my MFD menu. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔忦煠
So what options are listed in Driving Data in the MFD ? Don't just go by what you see, you have to use the Up/Down buttons to scroll through the list as there may be more items than fit in one screenful.

Vehicle Speedometer Car Tachometer Gauge

And what about on your Infotainment screen ? How many sets of driving data are available ?

Touch 'Car' on the right side of the screen, then if driving data isn't shown, touch the 'Selection' icon on the left side of the bottom menus bar, then touch 'Driving data' in the pop-up menu list.Once Driving data is displayed, swipe left or right, or touch the '<' (left) or '>' (right) chevrons to cycle through the different driving data memories.

Car Vehicle Watch Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive design Car Gesture Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part

Automotive design Auto part Personal luxury car Font Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part

Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
@Impala I 100% don't have the overview option.
Yes I do have the 3 consumption display options as in your photos.
I do have the "since start" "long term" & "since refuelling" options in the centre of cockpit.

On the active info-display settings on the infotainment screen, I only have the option of "since start" in a cockpit dial.
Automotive tire Font Hood Gadget Motor vehicle

Actually I'm happy enough with my set up, "since start" consumption on the left dial & "since refuelling" between the dials.

I feel like a right plonker, that's what happens when you reply without double checking.

"one should never assume" 馃槀馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Reactions: Impala
1 - 20 of 23 Posts