Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you guys going to get a dashcam? I actually read that Halfords wire it in for 30 quid, but only selected cars, so surely not a brand new model like the T-Roc? It must be fairly easy as a DIY job going via the fuse box.

Which model do you go for? I thought the mirror ones looked smart but have seen that there seem to be lenses (lane keep assist maybe) in the rear view mirror of the T-roc. So will have to stick to a normal dash cam I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Superhero,
I have a Nextbase 412gw.
It is easy to fit to the windscreen with he sucker mount and then run the cable along the top of the windscreen under the roof trim.
I then ran it under the door rubber down to the floor and then under the floor mats and into the 12v aux in the dash.
It will turn on when the ignition is switched on and automatically switches off when you turn the ignition off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rocky T said:
Hi Superhero,
I have a Nextbase 412gw.
It is easy to fit to the windscreen with he sucker mount and then run the cable along the top of the windscreen under the roof trim.
I then ran it under the door rubber down to the floor and then under the floor mats and into the 12v aux in the dash.
It will turn on when the ignition is switched on and automatically switches off when you turn the ignition off.
Have you thought about wiring it in? I believe it is easily done, you even get nextbase wiring kits with the piggy back fuse - I just am not 100% sure which fuse to use. Do you know if the T-Roc has the "normal" fuses? I think the 12v fuse for the cigaratte lighter should work as that's where it plugs in anyway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought a NEXTBASE 312GW at Halfords for £79. They were putting the price back up to £99 as I went into the store on Monday morning. I ordered a hard wire kit again NEXTBASE over the internet for £13. Then fitted it myself, dead easy, piggy back into bottom row of fuses and you're done 1/2 hour all told.
Saved £30 on camera
Saved £7 on Hard wire
Saved £30 by doing it myself and I had a £10 gift voucher as well so it ended up costing £82 all done and fitted.
Halfords wanted to charge the next bloke in the queue £149

·
Registered
234 Posts
I pulled the 15Amp fuse on the bottom row of the fuse box, the one that is blue, and used the 10mm bolt on the heater mounting as it is moulted on an earthing point.
Just hinge the glove box down to get to the fuses. There are two catches at the top of the glove box which you just push up, and it will drop down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mvk said:
I pulled the 15Amp fuse on the bottom row of the fuse box, the one that is blue, and used the 10mm bolt on the heater mounting as it is moulted on an earthing point.
Just hinge the glove box down to get to the fuses. There are two catches at the top of the glove box which you just push up, and it will drop down.
Hi, so the blue fuse, does it turn off when you switch off ignition??

·
Registered
456 Posts
My Nexbase Dashcam, hard-wired in my previous car, is to be installed in my T-Roc, inclusive of hard-wiring/fuse kit to the 'appropriate fuse box for £30 by Halfords this Friday. Halfords give you a choice of ignition turne-on operation or, if you want to continue recording whilst parked up, home or away, I 'think' they can wire it to an alternative position but I'm not too sure :?:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had to mount the camera a (Nextbase 312GW) lower than I would have liked, as I found a sensor or something like a lens on the back of the interior mirror, and didn't want to obstruct it. I don't know how important it is or, what the sensor is responsible for, so I thought I should not put the camera in the way of it.
Its a pity that the camera mounting brackets are so large, I would have liked the camera right up to the roof lining and up against the screen. as I don't much like the view being obstructed by the camera hanging down.
The picture is excellent in the day light, but as yet I have not tried it in the dark, the last one I had was absolutely useless in the dark. Seeing anything on that one, was like looking for a black cat in a coal house at midnight!

·
Registered
402 Posts
My VW dealer fits nexbase, properly wired in, for £30 on top of the price of the camera. I'm going to get one fitted when the car goes in for its service.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No 12v in my 2.0 SEL either - was wondering how easy to get it added would be.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There is not one in the boot but there is one in the rear next to the air vents for the rear passengers.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm using a Nextbase 512g in a Renault Megane at present and bought the wiring kit that uses a piggy-back type fuse (only about £15 in Halfords).. You pick a power feed that goes live when the ignition is switched on so don't have to remember to plug/unplug whenever you get in the car.... I'll be doing this in my Troc when it eventually comes.
Presumably, to wire a rear facing camera, you would need a similar scenario but would need to intercept a similar 'switched-live' lead and fit an in-line fuse rather than run a wire all the way to the back.Can't think of a suitable circuit off hand ... You'd also need an earth connection nearby but they are not difficult to locate/make, on my Renault I drilled a small hole and used a self tapper (hidden beneath panelling) ....

·
Registered
428 Posts
re the boot light power feed, is it a permanent live ... I think the light will come on without the ignition being on.
Don'forget,you can check on YouTube how to remove panelling etc

·
Registered
57 Posts
I fitted the nextbase duo to mine as fitting rear camera looks like will require more thought than the front so got the duo but due to the t-roc being higher at the back if you set it up so you get a front and rear image the front camera is pointed too high, if adjust so front ok the rear camera films the headlining lol
Hoping someone comes up with an easy way as didn't feel correct stripping a 2 day old cars panels when hardwiring the feed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a Nexbase duo in my Golf, fitted by Halfords for £30 - worth every penny.

They have said they'll charge me £30 to refit into the T-Roc when in arrives as they can't reuse the cables and the dealer refused to help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts