Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK just got a 3 year old t-roc evo 1.5. Great car.
Connected dataplug to iphone. Works ok, but dataplug info shows 18 litres refuel when put in 22 l litres. Any ideas?

·
Registered
466 Posts
OK just got a 3 year old t-roc evo 1.5. Great car.
Connected dataplug to iphone. Works ok, but dataplug info shows 18 litres refuel when put in 22 l litres. Any ideas?
Maybe an unaccountable 4 litre reserve 🤔🤷‍♂️
Or maybe its just not accurate?

I know you can code the cockpit display to tell you how many litres of fuel you require to fill the tank up & I also know people that coded it say its not accurate.
Same idea as your discrepancy.

Reactions: blyear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vernerbongo2 for the reply.
The 22 litres was displayed on a dispensing pump. The 18 litres was from the data plug information.
I would have to report the garage to trading standards for incorrect fuel dispensing.
So, at the moment, I will go with the dataplug not being accurate.
Next time I fill up I will use another garage and compare the readings.
Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I think you will find the quoted and measured capacity using the car's electronics is not for the tank filled to the brim. It may roughly correspond to when a pump will first cut-off, but I tend to fill to the brim as I'm a miserly Scotsman and when buying cheap I want as much as the tank will hold 😄

Reactions: Rocing Rob

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not a good idea to fill your car to the brim with fuel. The manual even says stop at the first click. There is a carbon fuel fumes reserculation system in modern cars. It is designed to capture the fumes and then the engine burns them. If you fill the tank to the brim you can end up getting fuel in the carbon collection container which destroys it. And they cost a fortune to replace. All your years of saving on cheap fuel gone in one go fixing it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not a good idea to fill your car to the brim with fuel. The manual even says stop at the first click. There is a carbon fuel fumes reserculation system in modern cars. It is designed to capture the fumes and then the engine burns them. If you fill the tank to the brim you can end up getting fuel in the carbon collection container which destroys it. And they cost a fortune to replace. All your years of saving on cheap fuel gone in one go fixing it.
Interesting, I've never heard anything like this before 🤔🤷‍♂️👌

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you will find the quoted and measured capacity using the car's electronics is not for the tank filled to the brim. It may roughly correspond to when a pump will first cut-off, but I tend to fill to the brim as I'm a miserly Scotsman and when buying cheap I want as much as the tank will hold 😄
Thanks for the reply, I remember stopping the pump before I got to the 22 litres, so your suggestion may be correct. More testing I think!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The only concern I've ever heard raised about filling to the brim is the risk of overflow on a hot day as the fuel expands. As far as I'm aware, the filler caps still have a vent to allow for expansion and also to prevent a vacuum forming as fuel is used. I've done this for 50+ years and never had a problem, and before anyone says modern cars have changed, I know perfectly well, and change my car every 3 or 4 years. Some will say it uses more petrol driving around with a full tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts