Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.I was wondering if a dataplug is worth getting.How many of you have got one and are they free or is there a cost.

·
Registered
74 Posts
G

·
Mine was free indeed both VW and the dealer were keen to supply / fit. It chats to a smart phone app offering post match analysis of trips and lets you log fuel and costs etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi.
I have had a Dataplug since July - no cost - easy to set up - lots of useful info - connect your phone via the USB cable also free from your VW dealer

·
Registered
402 Posts
T-Rog said:
connect your phone via the USB cable also free from your VW dealer
Via bluetooth, surely?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mackemsteve said:
T-Rog said:
connect your phone via the USB cable also free from your VW dealer
Via bluetooth, surely?
Not if you also want it to charge

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your info

·
Registered
402 Posts
Newtroconthebloc said:
That's nothing to do with the DataPlug. The DataPlug plugs into the ODB port and talks to the phone over Bluetooth.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mackemsteve said:
Newtroconthebloc said:
That's nothing to do with the DataPlug. The DataPlug plugs into the ODB port and talks to the phone over Bluetooth.
Oh ok Steve
I haven't got mine yet so I don't know what you're talking about ! (Or what I'm talking about)
My current car just talks to the phone and visa versa, no data plug or obds needed ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Unless I am mistaken ,do you not also need the "VW App Connect" on the phone to be able to use the data sent from the Dataplug?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Newtroconthebloc said:
Mackemsteve said:
Newtroconthebloc said:
Oh ok Steve
I haven't got mine yet so I don't know what you're talking about ! (Or what I'm talking about)
My current car just talks to the phone and visa versa, no data plug or obds needed ?
I've now viewed the link to vw that explains the DataPlug, it's free so may as well have it !
My point still stands though, phone must be connected via the supplied lead ( also free ) to charge it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes you do. I find it of limited use to be honest, though I do use it to track my fuel spending.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just popped in one day and asked for one. A fitter came out with it and put it in the car, he also connected my phone. I keep having a look at it but I don't see a lot of use for it, but as its free why not have one. Further thought is why don't they just fit them as standard, as they are free?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I connect my phone via the VW Usb lead so that it connects Apple Car play as per the Owners handbook - everything works fine as well as charging
my phone - I use CarPlay so that I can use the phone for Sat nav - built in Satnavs are not worth the extra cost

·
Registered
402 Posts
Totally agree T-Rog. I use Waze for navigation on Android Auto as well as Spotify for my music. Voice controlled texting & calling too. It's the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts