Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.I was wondering if a dataplug is worth getting.How many of you have got one and are they free or is there a cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
G

·
Mine was free indeed both VW and the dealer were keen to supply / fit. It chats to a smart phone app offering post match analysis of trips and lets you log fuel and costs etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Hi.
I have had a Dataplug since July - no cost - easy to set up - lots of useful info - connect your phone via the USB cable also free from your VW dealer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
T-Rog said:
connect your phone via the USB cable also free from your VW dealer
Via bluetooth, surely?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Mackemsteve said:
T-Rog said:
connect your phone via the USB cable also free from your VW dealer
Via bluetooth, surely?
Not if you also want it to charge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Newtroconthebloc said:
Not if you also want it to charge
That's nothing to do with the DataPlug. The DataPlug plugs into the ODB port and talks to the phone over Bluetooth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Mackemsteve said:
Newtroconthebloc said:
Not if you also want it to charge
That's nothing to do with the DataPlug. The DataPlug plugs into the ODB port and talks to the phone over Bluetooth.
Oh ok Steve
I haven't got mine yet so I don't know what you're talking about ! (Or what I'm talking about)
My current car just talks to the phone and visa versa, no data plug or obds needed ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Unless I am mistaken ,do you not also need the "VW App Connect" on the phone to be able to use the data sent from the Dataplug?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Newtroconthebloc said:
Mackemsteve said:
Newtroconthebloc said:
Not if you also want it to charge
That's nothing to do with the DataPlug. The DataPlug plugs into the ODB port and talks to the phone over Bluetooth.
Oh ok Steve
I haven't got mine yet so I don't know what you're talking about ! (Or what I'm talking about)
My current car just talks to the phone and visa versa, no data plug or obds needed ?
I've now viewed the link to vw that explains the DataPlug, it's free so may as well have it !
My point still stands though, phone must be connected via the supplied lead ( also free ) to charge it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Yes you do. I find it of limited use to be honest, though I do use it to track my fuel spending.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
I just popped in one day and asked for one. A fitter came out with it and put it in the car, he also connected my phone. I keep having a look at it but I don't see a lot of use for it, but as its free why not have one. Further thought is why don't they just fit them as standard, as they are free?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I connect my phone via the VW Usb lead so that it connects Apple Car play as per the Owners handbook - everything works fine as well as charging
my phone - I use CarPlay so that I can use the phone for Sat nav - built in Satnavs are not worth the extra cost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Totally agree T-Rog. I use Waze for navigation on Android Auto as well as Spotify for my music. Voice controlled texting & calling too. It's the future.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top