Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new on here . I am going to buy a T Roc and looking for a bit of advice on what engine best to get . Every weekend I do about 180 motorway miles. I currently have a for Puma mild hybrid and changing to a T Roc. How do people find fuel efficiency on the T Roc 1.5 petrol and the diesel. Just unsure what engine be best for the mileage I do. During week I do short 20 Mike motorway trips . Just looking for help re real time mpg for 1.5 petrol and the diesel models from people who own them. It’s the DSG auto I be going for . Any info be appreciated. Thanks you

·
Registered
1.5tsi eco r-line white silver
15 Posts
Hi I am new on here . I am going to buy a T Roc and looking for a bit of advice on what engine best to get . Every weekend I do about 180 motorway miles. I currently have a for Puma mild hybrid and changing to a T Roc. How do people find fuel efficiency on the T Roc 1.5 petrol and the diesel. Just unsure what engine be best for the mileage I do. During week I do short 20 Mike motorway trips . Just looking for help re real time mpg for 1.5 petrol and the diesel models from people who own them. It’s the DSG auto I be going for . Any info be appreciated. Thanks you
I achieve 50 mpg with my 1.5 petrol ( a roads 80 mile trips)

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
898 Posts
I don't think the MPG'S would be good if you're heavy footed?
Altough mines a manual, I average 44 MPG'S on a daily 19 mile round trip on A roads & that's strictly 50mph in/out & easy on the right foot getting to 50.
I'd guess mine would do around 40 MPG'S if I was hitting 60mph commuting 🤔

The 1.5 is a strange engine, if you can keep it running on 2 cylinders most of the time & drive slowly you can hit over 50 MPG'S but that's really hard.
There's a few other fuel consumption topics on here already, do a search. Funnily enough they seem to be based on petrol mostly.

Honest John's real mpg's, is where owners input their average mpg's.
Font Circle Parallel Number Rectangle

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
898 Posts
@ZoZo75 one very important thing I forgot to mention!

When I purchased my T-Roc I didn't base it on mpg's because obviously the diesel wins every time, I based it on not having a DPF (diesel particulate filter) in the past they always gave problems when doing short journeys, they could never regenerate so blocked👌😉

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 1.5 Tsi DSG and am currently averaging 48mpg. Most of my journeys are 21 mile dual plus 4 mile single carriageway journeys. Normally around 47 mpg but my record by using adaptive and sat behind an HGV is 63.1. Doesn't often drop below 40 even on shortish journeys.

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've driven diesels for nearly 20 years now but I have ordered a 1.5TSI engine. The main reason for doing this was I was concerned that the current environment seems to be going against Diesel engines. That wasn't the only factor though; I took the published MPG figures for both petrol & Diesel engines and worked out the fuel cost on 10k & 15k miles per year for both fuel types based on current prices. By my calculation is was going to take something like 7 years to recoup the additional cost I'd have paid for a diesel variant. Given I seem to keep cars for around 5/6 years it was a simple choice for me so went for petrol for a change. I've done similar comparisons on hybrid or solely electric card too ( though not for a T-ROC as it's not an option & the figures are quite revealing.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,911 Posts
I have a 1.5 Tsi DSG and am currently averaging 48mpg. Most of my journeys are 21 mile dual plus 4 mile single carriageway journeys. Normally around 47 mpg but my record by using adaptive and sat behind an HGV is 63.1. Doesn't often drop below 40 even on shortish journeys.

John
How many miles was the trip you managed 63.1mpg?! I’ve recently made it a game for myself to try and drive as economically as possible and maximize my average mpg over trips between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Best I’ve managed is 56.2 and that was by putting the car in Eco mode, using the throttle tap trick to trigger coasting mode at every possible opportunity, very gentle throttle inputs, shifting up faster than the DSG wants to and driving at around 55mph to try and make it run in 2cyl mode.

Does slipstreaming HGVs really help fuel economy that much? Also in ACC the DSG never coasts and I find that a huge factor in fuel economy so I’m genuinely shocked you got it that high using ACC!

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
18 Posts
How many miles was the trip you managed 63.1mpg?! I’ve recently made it a game for myself to try and drive as economically as possible and maximize my average mpg over trips between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Best I’ve managed is 56.2 and that was by putting the car in Eco mode, using the throttle tap trick to trigger coasting mode at every possible opportunity, very gentle throttle inputs, shifting up faster than the DSG wants to and driving at around 55mph to try and make it run in 2cyl mode.

Does slipstreaming HGVs really help fuel economy that much? Also in ACC the DSG never coasts and I find that a huge factor in fuel economy so I’m genuinely shocked you got it that high using ACC!
The journey was my normal 25 miles of which around 21 are on the A1 dual carriageway with a roundabout added. Like you I try to get into coast whenever possible until I set the ACC. I don't think the slipstreaming is the issue but rather the ability keep just under 60 without annoying people as they have to pull out to overtake the HGV anyway. I find.ithe speed also invokes cylinder deactivation a lot. The wind seems to make an inordinate difference as well. The journey in the opposite direction was made at 70mph and the consumption was 48 I think.
I did get 62.7 on the same journey in the past once, but normal driving in that direction at 65-70 usually yields low 50s

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The journey was my normal 25 miles of which around 21 are on the A1 dual carriageway with a roundabout added. Like you I try to get into coast whenever possible until I set the ACC. I don't think the slipstreaming is the issue but rather the ability keep just under 60 without annoying people as they have to pull out to overtake the HGV anyway. I find.ithe speed also invokes cylinder deactivation a lot. The wind seems to make an inordinate difference as well. The journey in the opposite direction was made at 70mph and the consumption was 48 I think.
I did get 62.7 on the same journey in the past once, but normal driving in that direction at 65-70 usually yields low 50s
Absolutely smashed my record yesterday 😮
Vehicle Personal luxury car Auto part Motor vehicle Car

Just as I left the motorway it was 67.2 but the last 5 minutes of my trip brought it down.

Never seen my estimated range start with a 5!

• Wow

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
I'm impressed @twist ... normally when I fill my tank to the brim the indicated range is usually around 430-440 miles, although it can stay at that for a week or more and occasionally will start lower and actually increase over the next week !

But I think the best trip average mpg I've ever seen was around 56 or 57 mpg.

Was your journey a round trip, as there can often be considerable differences between travelling the same route in opposite directions, due to traffic, hills and wind direction/speed ?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'm impressed @twist ... normally when I fill my tank to the brim the indicated range is usually around 430-440 miles, although it can stay at that for a week or more and occasionally will start lower and actually increase over the next week !

But I think the best trip average mpg I've ever seen was around 56 or 57 mpg.

Was your journey a round trip, as there can often be considerable differences between travelling the same route in opposite directions, due to traffic, hills and wind direction/speed ?
This particular 46 mile trip was not a round trip however it wasn’t far off in the other direction. Although a lot of the way I was sat behind an HGV so perhaps the slipstream helped. Previously I had been conscious about time so I left 10 minutes earlier each way and that way I was happy to sit mostly at 57mph in lane 1, only moving out to allow people to join at slip roads. I quite often will upshift at 1900 rpm when the car (even in Eco mode) would wait and also I blip the throttle to trigger coasting mode any time I see a downward slope coming and only accelerate back up to 57. I also blip the accelerator immediately after slowing down with the foot brake to re-enter coasting mode. Not sure it’s great for the clutches all this additional wear however…

I don’t think I could drive this way all the time as it is quite a lot more involved and the M8 is stressful enough but it does go to show how economical you can be with this 1.5L petrol engine and DSG gearbox if you really try.

• Wow

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Interesting what you say about the manual shifting ... one of the issues I want the garage to investigate when the car goes in next week, is that it refuses to upshift from 2 to 3 even at ~2700 rpm. I've also been using ECO mode for the past couple of weeks (despite the chore of having to re-select it every time I start the car in order to get the E gear settings), but there are lots of occasions when it won't go into coasting even with the throttle blip which makes me think that it maybe has a lot of prerequisites like those for stop/start (my engine hardly ever stops now for some reason).

Another anomaly which I discovered is that if you select Individual drive mode and then set the individual options to match the ECO mode settings, the car never does coasting. If you configure the MFD to display driving data and set it to show (instantaneous) consumption, the MFD displays messages when the car is coasting or when in 2-cylinder mode (as well as the Eco icon) - that is how I discovered that it never coasts in Individual mode !

• Sad

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Custom mode never coasts !
Interesting. I must remember to try that because I swear mine does (or at least did when I previously used it). I almost exclusively use Eco now, despite the chore you mention of having to toggle between another mode and back which also drives me nuts.

• Wow

·
Registered
414 Posts
Be careful brimming you’re fuel tank it can damage your charcoal filter for petrol fume recirculation

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Be careful brimming you’re fuel tank it can damage your charcoal filter for petrol fume recirculation
I assume you mean continuing to try and force more fuel in after the pump has clicked? I’m sure @Impala just meant checking immediately after filling the tank. I can’t see how filling your tank normally could possibly cause any damage.

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
... despite the chore you mention of having to toggle between another mode and back ...
No need to switch to another mode ... I just press the Mode button and then when the mode options appear, ECO is already selected although not the gears, but if you simply touch the ECO icon (even though it is already highlighted) then the ECO mode stays selected BUT the gear indicator now changes to E. Then I touch the NAV button on the screen to exit the mode selection as I find that is easier to do than touching the X (close) while driving.

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes I always used to check my mpg brimming the tank on every fill so I knew exactly how much fuel I had used. Modern cars it can damage the fume re circling from the fuel tank as the charcoal unit can end up getting fuel in it rather than fumes. As usual these units are expensive to replace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts