Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Some advice please and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I have had my ‘71 plate T-Roc for about 6 weeks now and am very pleased with it. One small niggle though is that I am regularly getting a warning on the dash saying something like ‘drive in the centre of the lane’ accompanied by a warning tone. I am also getting a ‘take hold of steering wheel’ message but much less frequently.

On the roads where I live it is not always that easy to just stay in the middle of the lane and it seems to be particularly sensitive on roads without a centre line.

My previous ‘18 plate T-Roc didn’t have this feature so I assume it is an ‘upgrade’ on newer models. Can it be switched off? I have searched the settings screens but can’t find anything obvious. Thanks

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Yes, Lane Assist can be switched off but others have reported that on the latest cars you have to do this every time you start the car. However, I believe you can also adjust the sensitivity which should reduce these warnings and may make the system more acceptable to you.

You should be able to find instructions for the above in the Owner's Manual and the version specific to your car can be found using the web site link below and entering your VIN

Digital Manual | Volkswagen

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I don’t mind the lane assist itself, it is just the ‘middle of lane warning’ I find annoying. Guess I will just have to live with it (or drive more carefully 😆)

Reactions: rozhenstock

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well that answered my question about permanently disabling it. I thought at first it was because I was being logged in every time as a guest but logged in under my name switched it off and it still came back on the next start up

·
Registered
466 Posts
As far as I'm aware it can be coded to work like the previous T-roc's ie last setting used . 🤷‍♂️👌

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
As far as I'm aware it can be coded to work like the previous T-roc's ie last setting used . 🤷‍♂️👌
According to the Owner's Manual, depending on country, the lane keeping system is always switched on when the ignition is switched on. I guess that is the setting used for UK cars. As you say, this is controlled via coding and so it can be changed so as to retain the driver's setting (On or Off) at switch-on.

I don't know if there are any legal, warranty or insurance implications if an owner alters what are supposed to be 'country' settings.

However, there are reports that VW have cracked down on such user interference with the coding, so the ability to change the setting could be blocked any time soon. Those familiar with OBD11 etc. can probably provide more details of the above.

·
Registered
466 Posts
However, there are reports that VW have cracked down on such user interference with the coding, so the ability to change the setting could be blocked any time soon. Those familiar with OBD11 etc. can probably provide more details of the above.
Volkswagen introduced SFD (diagnostic security) on all future models, meaning the OBD port was blocked.
The likes of obdeleven have come to an agreement and coding can continue again.
The new mrk8, id3, id4 were blocked and can now be coded again.

Volkswagen sometimes change their module software slightly, which means some things you could previously code, now can't. (An example being start/stop)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all
Some advice please and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I have had my ‘71 plate T-Roc for about 6 weeks now and am very pleased with it. One small niggle though is that I am regularly getting a warning on the dash saying something like ‘drive in the centre of the lane’ accompanied by a warning tone. I am also getting a ‘take hold of steering wheel’ message but much less frequently.

On the roads where I live it is not always that easy to just stay in the middle of the lane and it seems to be particularly sensitive on roads without a centre line.

My previous ‘18 plate T-Roc didn’t have this feature so I assume it is an ‘upgrade’ on newer models. Can it be switched off? I have searched the settings screens but can’t find anything obvious. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad that you're pleased with your new car. I ordered my SEL 1.5 TSI EVO DSG on 24th July this year and am still waiting. Could I ask you , as yours is a DSG , have you had any problems with this kangarooing phenomenon ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad that you're pleased with your new car. I ordered my SEL 1.5 TSI EVO DSG on 24th July this year and am still waiting. Could I ask you , as yours is a DSG , have you had any problems with this kangarooing phenomenon ?
Mine is the 6 speed manual. I have read a lot of comments about ‘kangarooing’ and it was a concern prior to delivery but don’t really understand what it means (which almost certainly means I don’t have it).

·
Registered
231 Posts
It means the engine rather than running at continuous revs goes into a 'hunt cycle' so the cars speeding up and slowing down. It's only at low speed in low gear which amplifies the effect so it sort of 'hops' down the road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have read the manual that I downloaded via a link from here but can't see anything that says' last setting'. Does anyone know different or is it actually termed something else, or is it in the We Connect app which I no longer have?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have read the manual that I downloaded via a link from here but can't see anything that says' last setting'. Does anyone know different or is it actually termed something else, or is it in the We Connect app which I no longer have?
No, I'm referring to changing the coding via the obd2 port.
If you know someone who has obdeleven, carista (I'm assuming carista does it?) or similar & can do it for you.
Or you can purchase one but you'd need to be using it for other changes to make it worth your while 🤷‍♂️

Product Font Material property Screenshot Electric blue

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, I'm referring to changing the coding via the obd2 port.
If you know someone who has obdeleven, carista (I'm assuming carista does it?) or similar & can do it for you.
Or you can purchase one but you'd need to be using it for other changes to make it worth your while 🤷‍♂️

Ok I get it now, thanks for clarifying it Vernerbongo2

• Love
Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I don’t mind the lane assist itself, it is just the ‘middle of lane warning’ I find annoying. Guess I will just have to live with it (or drive more carefully 😆)
Mines same I turn lane assist off . Each time I get into car I have 1 4 petrol troc.
Wen u go into next lane ir over take a parked car it jolts and skids it makes me jump . I am a driver if 3o years but still a tad nervous wen car does this .
The car drives fab . Just don't like thus
Happening g all time
It still doing it wen turned off .

·
Registered
11 Posts
My understaning of the lane assist is when you indicate to change lanes or going over the centre of the road it will not activate, makes you indicate when you should! as I know I got very lazy about indicating ;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Mines same I turn lane assist off . Each time I get into car I have 1 4 petrol troc.
Wen u go into next lane ir over take a parked car it jolts and skids it makes me jump . I am a driver if 3o years but still a tad nervous wen car does this .
The car drives fab . Just don't like thus
Happening g all time
It still doing it wen turned off .
As the technician says, it turns off when you use the indicator 👌
The skidding and jolt sounds more like emergency braking/front assist kicking in?
You can adjust the sensitivity in the infotainment screen as far as I remember, early, normal & late?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts