Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly can’t remember if this happened with my last DSG T-Roc but I’ve noticed that my DSG box seems to get “stuck” in 2nd occasionally. It happens sometimes when traversing a short, steep incline and then down; over a large speed bump; etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? The DSG just stays in 2nd for far too long despite revs climbing past 4k.

Is this just a case of axis sensors getting confused and thinking the car is climbing and needs more torque?

• Wow
Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Yep ... maybe not as high as 4k but certainly higher than usual.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep ... maybe not as high as 4k but certainly higher than usual.
Admittedly it’s not usually quite that high but it happened this evening and I swear it was over 4k as I had to give quite some throttle to get over the hill with reasonable pace. A bit embarrassing, makes it sound like it’s your first time in a car…

I don’t remember my DSG Golf ever doing this.

• Sad

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
... A bit embarrassing, makes it sound like it’s your first time in a car…

I don’t remember my DSG Golf ever doing this.
When mine hangs on to second I use the paddles to change up before it starts to scream.

I agree about the Golf ... I had mine for 5 years and it never did this. I don't think my T-Roc did it in the first year either, then it had software updates applied at the first service ...mmm.

Reactions: jproc

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When mine hangs on to second I use the paddles to change up before it starts to scream.

I agree about the Golf ... I had mine for 5 years and it never did this. I don't think my T-Roc did it in the first year either, then it had software updates applied at the first service ...mmm.
Yeah I do that too but sometimes it isn’t possible if the issue happens while taking a corner or something and can be a bit of a fumble to get at the paddle!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I honestly can’t remember if this happened with my last DSG T-Roc but I’ve noticed that my DSG box seems to get “stuck” in 2nd occasionally. It happens sometimes when traversing a short, steep incline and then down; over a large speed bump; etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? The DSG just stays in 2nd for far too long despite revs climbing past 4k.

Is this just a case of axis sensors getting confused and thinking the car is climbing and needs more torque?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I know you drive yours in individual mode, does it make much of a difference if you change to the least sporty setting.
Assuming you're not already in more of an economy mode? 🤷‍♂️

I think @Impala drives in normal mode? But still gets the higher rev's 🤔
Maybe it's just another characteristic 🧐

·
Registered
197 Posts
Has anyone tried using obdeleven to reset the DSG gearbox adaptions to see if this helps

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know you drive yours in individual mode, does it make much of a difference if you change to the least sporty setting.
Assuming you're not already in more of an economy mode? 🤷‍♂️

I think @Impala drives in normal mode? But still gets the higher rev's 🤔
Maybe it's just another characteristic 🧐
I don’t think so. It’s an odd one - it doesn’t feel like the car is deliberately holding onto the gear to “be sporty” or anything, it genuinely feels like the car thinks it needs that gear to be able to get past the terrain it believes it’s traversing.

However, I still need to swap modes to see if coasting happens in others so I may as well see if it affects this too. I have to do a few miles today so I’ll try and remember to experiment.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone tried using obdeleven to reset the DSG gearbox adaptions to see if this helps
I haven’t but then I only have Carista which I don’t think has the ability to do that. I haven’t checked in a while though so maybe I’ll see what’s new today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
... it doesn’t feel like the car is deliberately holding onto the gear to “be sporty” or anything, it genuinely feels like the car thinks it needs that gear to be able to get past the terrain it believes it’s traversing.
It feels to me to be some type of unneeded engine breaking functionality. Often happens to me in a slight downhill part on my mountain trips.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It feels to me to be some type of unneeded engine breaking functionality. Often happens to me in a slight downhill part on my mountain trips.
Happened to me yesterday and even at 2,200rpm it refused to shift up from 1st to 2nd with the right side flappy paddle. I’m beginning to think there’s something wrong with mine. Might take it to the dealership.

• Wow

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Happened to me yesterday and even at 2,200rpm it refused to shift up from 1st to 2nd with the right side flappy paddle. I’m beginning to think there’s something wrong with mine. Might take it to the dealership.
Might also explain your Coasting experience ... possibly worth getting the DSG software reset/updated.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I get similar on a local street, short downhill for 10 metres/yards then have to brake to a near stop to do a sharp 135 degree left-turn into a side street which is also downhill. After the turn, the DSG will be in 2nd. Sometimes it hangs on to 2nd as engine braking as you said, other times it will shift to 3rd. It depends if and how much I accelerate after the turn or just coast. I can either accelerate a bit more to shift up to 3rd or use the paddles, but if I leave it in 2nd it will stay there and rev up to 3000 rpm until the hill levels out after about 50 metres/yards and I have to stop for a T-junction after another 50 metres .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts