Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 1.5 TSI DSG T-Roc for just over 2 years and have noticed a vibration at low speed driving around town which has appeared in the past week.

The vibration can be felt through the steering wheel and even through the seat, and it seems to depend on the throttle (over-run/steady speed/light acceleration). I previously had a 1.4 TSI DSG Golf for 5 years and never felt anything like this.

Just wondering if any other DSG owners have experienced anything similar.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Impala said:
I've had my 1.5 TSI DSG T-Roc for just over 2 years and have noticed a vibration at low speed driving around town which has appeared in the past week.

The vibration can be felt through the steering wheel and even through the seat, and it seems to depend on the throttle (over-run/steady speed/light acceleration). I previously had a 1.4 TSI DSG Golf for 5 years and never felt anything like this.

Is it in particular gears? I know you said "low speed driving" but is it present in first, second, third or a combination of some/all?

·
Registered
402 Posts
at what speed is vibration felt in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
twist said:
Impala said:

Is it in particular gears? I know you said "low speed driving" but is it present in first, second, third or a combination of some/all?
Can't say for sure as I hven't really noted the gears at the time, but given that can vibrate from as slow as a crawl (1-3 mph) up to 25mph I'd say it was several gears. I should say that the vibration isn't constant from 2 mph up to 25 mph as it is dependent on the throttle and so will come and go at various points across that range.

I'll try to pay a bit more attention now that I feel it is more than just my imagination.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seal said:
See my reply to Twist ... this is most definitely NOT a wheel balance issue, as it is not like the steering wobble of that. It is as thrumming, buzzing sort of vibration.

I have severe hearing loss, so I don't hear much in the way of noises in the car, but I have a vague sense of hearing this vibration as well as feeling it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Why do you suspect it is the DSG gearbox causing the vibration? It could be any number of things causing the car to vibrate, whilst I don't rule out that there is an issue, it could be other things such as engine mounts, drive shafts, a wheel bearing or other such issues. It could even be caused be wheel misalignment if you've touched a kerb, or perhaps lost a weight off a wheel, causing the wheel to be out of balance. I see above that you seem to have ruled out wheel balance, but a wheel can be out of balance without it vibrating necessarily.

You won't solve your issue on here with general speculation and what it may or may not be - get the car into a dealer pronto and get the problem identified as a matter of urgency. Waste of time asking "if others feel it" given you've had your T-ROC 2 years and its only just started doing it. That being the case then the answer is no they don't vibrate normally - yours hasn't done it for 2 years!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Hawkeye, I seem to have accidentally touched a nerve.

Perhaps I chose a poor title for the topic, including DSG just to emphasise that is what may car has, but I certainly didn't want to point the finger at the DSG box. To be fair, any feedback from other owners with a different engine/drivetrain might be totally irrelevant, so the natural and logical place to start is asking other owners of 1.5 DSG cars if any of them have experienced a similar issue.

At no point did I suggest or ask if this was normal.

I know it hasn't been there since the car was new... that's rather obvious, so I suspect something has changed and any help from another owner who has experienced the same at some point would be helpful. Yes there could be 101 things could cause a vibration, and yes they might all have to be considered and checked, but one of the purposes of a forum is to tap in to the experiences of others. The forum is full of people experiencing the same problems, such as kangarooing and mooing, or issues with SatNav.

I really don't understand your rant ... perhaps you are having an off day.

If I'd kerbed a wheel, I would know. If I'd lost a weight I would know - I've been driving for 55 years and know what wheel balance feels like. If it is a suspension of drive shaft problem, then it is an early life problem which maybe someone else has had fixed.

·
Registered
985 Posts
My apologies @Impala, indeed reading my post back I can see why it came across poorly and as a rant and indeed was not intended to be so, so I sincerely am very sorry.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Impala said:
Seal said:
See my reply to Twist ... this is most definitely NOT a wheel balance issue, as it is not like the steering wobble of that. It is as thrumming, buzzing sort of vibration.

I have severe hearing loss, so I don't hear much in the way of noises in the car, but I have a vague sense of hearing this vibration as well as feeling it.
I never said that,it has already been reported on 1.5 dsg problems like these and in this case the problem was problems with the spark plugs,which can cause vibrations during idling,and who felt in the steering wheel,I'm not saying that's the case but it's already been reported in 1.5

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seal said:
Impala said:
Seal said:

I never said that,it has already been reported on 1.5 dsg problems like these and in this case the problem was problems with the spark plugs,which can cause vibrations during idling,and who felt in the steering wheel,I'm not saying that's the case but it's already been reported in 1.5
Thanks ... I'll do a search on the forum to see if I can find that.

I also noticed today, when sitting stationary at idle the engine is smooth but when I depress the accelerator to move off, the vibration starts before the car even starts to move. This seems to fit in with the change from coasting to applying the throttle having the same effect, so it seems the vibration begins when the engine torque is being applied.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hawkeye said:
My apologies @Impala, indeed reading my post back I can see why it came across poorly and as a rant and indeed was not intended to be so, so I sincerely am very sorry.
Thanks Hawkeye, apology accepted and I know it was out of character and most probably not intended. Perhaps my reaction was a bit harsh too, so I apologise for that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Impala said:
Seal said:
Impala said:

Thanks ... I'll do a search on the forum to see if I can find that.

I also noticed today, when sitting stationary at idle the engine is smooth but when I depress the accelerator to move off, the vibration starts before the car even starts to move. This seems to fit in with the change from coasting to applying the throttle having the same effect, so it seems the vibration begins when the engine torque is being applied.
internally reported on vw,other possibilities that you can check,for example the DSG filter and oil level can provoke the same effect

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An update.

I've had passengers in the car for the past week, so no opportunities to try different things. Today I was by myself and I've found the vibration occurs when the car is stationary, in Neutral or Park, when the engine revs reach about 1100 -1200 rpm then goes away when the revs climb to 1700 or thereabout. If I rev the engine more, some vibration returns maybe around 2500.

Admittedly I could (should) have tried this before, but it seems to indicate the vibration is not from the gearbox, wheels, drive shafts etc. and is either from the engine or exhaust, possibly just a resonance.

Maybe it has always done this and I have only now become aware of it, making it noticable. I'll leave it for now and either get used to it or it will get worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a manual rather than DSG but I've had my 2020 Troc into the dealer twice for investigation of a high frequency vibration in the steering wheel, gear lever and clutch pedal. It is an engine/throttle related vibration which is there when stationary and becomes more prominent when revs increase. The dealer has (today) said their technician has confirmed that there is a vibration but has measured it against a comparable vehicle in stock and says there is no difference and that it appears to be a characteristic of the Troc (?). I test-drove 3 before buying and none had this problem that I can recall and I can't find it on any threads other than this one, so I think there is a problem but the dealer just can't find it. They've suggested i should take it to another dealer for a second opinion. Sorry I haven't got a solution for you Impala but at least you're not alone...

1.5 TSI EVO SE 2020 manual

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Olias said:
Hi, I have a manual rather than DSG but I've had my 2020 Troc into the dealer twice for investigation of a high frequency vibration in the steering wheel, gear lever and clutch pedal. It is an engine/throttle related vibration which is there when stationary and becomes more prominent when revs increase. The dealer has (today) said their technician has confirmed that there is a vibration but has measured it against a comparable vehicle in stock and says there is no difference and that it appears to be a characteristic of the Troc (?). I test-drove 3 before buying and none had this problem that I can recall and I can't find it on any threads other than this one, so I think there is a problem but the dealer just can't find it. They've suggested i should take it to another dealer for a second opinion. Sorry I haven't got a solution for you Impala but at least you're not alone...

Ah the old "it's a characteristic of the [item in question]". Here on this forum we know that excuse very well.

You could go to another dealership but you're under warranty and the dealership isn't playing ball. If it were me, I'd be sending a polite email to VW's Executive office explaining the situation and asking for a resolution since the dealership apparently cannot provide one.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Olias said:

Thanks for your reply Olias and apologies for being slow to reply.

This sounds like the same problem, as I have now determined that the vibration does indeed come through the steering wheel, and seems to be amplified when gripping the wheel.

My car is booked in to the workshop on 8th October to investigate. I hope I get a better outcome than "it's a characteristic", as it most certainly wasn't like that for my first 2 years ownership.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

My car was in the workshop yesterday and I got the same result as Olias. No fault codes in the logs and everything up to date with no outstanding service/recall issues - so no problem found.

While they acknowledged a vibration could be felt through the steering wheel, they also said that they tried another 1.5 DSG car and it had the same vibration. I tried the same car myself, and the vibration occured at the same revs as mine, but was less noticable and if you didn't know about the issue it could easily be missed. Perhaps that is why I wasn't aware of the vibration till recently.

Anyway, it has been reported so if there is a subsequent problem they can't say I shouldn't have been driving the car, and it is understood that if it gets worse they will investigate further. On the plus side, I wasn't charged for them investigating or for the courtesy car (brand new Up! Beats) provided.

I'm surprised that more people haven't noticed this. I was wondering if perhaps the engine undertray was removed for my last oil change a couple of months before I became aware of the vibration, and perhaps it hasn't been refitted securely or slightly out of alignment. Not easy to diagnose without 2 people, one to work the throttle pedal and one to feel/listen around the engine compartment our underneath.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am also facing a steering wheel vibration issue. It vibrates whenever engine rpm is between 3200 rpm to 4000 rpm irrespective of gear. Vibration starts near 3200 rpm and it is maximum between 3600 rpm to 3800 rpm. What could be the reason?
KM drove 16500 miles/26500 km

Reactions: Vernerbongo2
1 - 20 of 26 Posts