Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Well had the Roc just over a week, haven't done a lot of driving, approx 150 miles & longest drive only about an hour. So initial impressions were "this car is huge!" :-D With the added ride height compared to my old Astra, & feels really wide. Driving wise, you can't throw it around like the Astra, but I did have the XP pack so rode lower anyway. Not having that low end "grunt" like a Turbo Diesel takes a bit of getting used to & I'm certainly changing gears more. The SEL sports seats feel really good, so far, not sure if the lumbar support makes any difference but it's there anyway.
The electronic hand brake does test your nerve, as the first couple of times you're not that sure about it working :-D
All the "bells & whistles" takes a bit of getting used to, not helped by the fact that you can't just sit in the car a play, it has to be running ( I think) , if I did have one minor gripe on the subject: It is that the Active Info display is always displaying something as you are driving, whether this is to tell you to change gear or that you are driving economically, it's always there in your peripheral vision & is a bit distracting.
Fuel economy is nowhere near what I was expecting, current average is 35 but I'm hoping that that's just me getting used to petrol again. I'm still running the 1.5 in so haven't given it it's "head" yet.
I have yet to note the interior plastics, with the added Sport Pack & red stitching I don't really think I'll ever notice it to the extent that it would put me off of the car.
More than a few comments on the Roc already, once there are more on the road, maybe this will quieten down.
Finally so far so good & I'm quietly impressed.
SF

·
Registered
228 Posts
ShuF said:
Hi Folks,

Well had the Roc just over a week, haven't done a lot of driving, approx 150 miles & longest drive only about an hour. So initial impressions were "this car is huge!" :-D With the added ride height compared to my old Astra, & feels really wide. Driving wise, you can't throw it around like the Astra, but I did have the XP pack so rode lower anyway. Not having that low end "grunt" like a Turbo Diesel takes a bit of getting used to & I'm certainly changing gears more. The SEL sports seats feel really good, so far, not sure if the lumbar support makes any difference but it's there anyway.
The electronic hand brake does test your nerve, as the first couple of times you're not that sure about it working :-D
All the "bells & whistles" takes a bit of getting used to, not helped by the fact that you can't just sit in the car a play, it has to be running ( I think) , if I did have one minor gripe on the subject: It is that the Active Info display is always displaying something as you are driving, whether this is to tell you to change gear or that you are driving economically, it's always there in your peripheral vision & is a bit distracting.
Fuel economy is nowhere near what I was expecting, current average is 35 but I'm hoping that that's just me getting used to petrol again. I'm still running the 1.5 in so haven't given it it's "head" yet.
I have yet to note the interior plastics, with the added Sport Pack & red stitching I don't really think I'll ever notice it to the extent that it would put me off of the car.
More than a few comments on the Roc already, once there are more on the road, maybe this will quieten down.
Finally so far so good & I'm quietly impressed.
SF
Thanks for posting this, glad to hear you like it so much :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in the same boat ie had my TRoc Design 1.5 petrol manual gearbox 1 week and done similar mileage but nothing long distance Next week I'll be doing a 55 mile journey so that will give me chance to see how it handles on motorways and try out the cruise control on the 50 mph average speed section that's between knutsford and stoke on the M6.

So far main problem seems to be that I can only use my phone connection via USB. If I use Bluetooth the directory is empty and it won't load the contacts in. When the car was delivered the guy did this for me but now they aren't visible. Just wondering if anyone else has the problem. If I use the USB I can't seem to get the apps from my iPhone 7 displayed.
Got to admit I love driving the car and it's very quiet especially when compared to my old mark 2 Cmax diesel titanium

I've also not been able to find out where you plug in the Car Net Dongle. The guy who delivered the car advised me not to install it. But I feel it would be useful especially if I broke down or the car had problems I wasn't aware of. Unless of course I'm misunderstanding what the dongle does.

Any feedback on any of the above much appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Agreed, the T-Roc is massive compared to the Golf, can't get over the width! I've taken it to work 3 times this week so have clocked up 300miles.

Found a couple of niggles too. The first one is the brake pedal gives off a whine when slowing from first gear to stopping. Second is that the front sensors have had an error and warning lights have activated whilst on the M25. It's happened on 3 journeys in rain so I figured it was due to heavy rain but when it happened with a dry road I called the dealer.

Consequently, the car is going to VW on Monday morning to check the sensors and brakes and I'll also mention that I cannot connect to car-app with the registered code (I know it's not just me)!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like all of our 1.5s were on the same ship from Portugal - I've had mine just over a week as well !! I have to say I'm very pleased with it as I haven't managed to find anything wrong with it so far in 240 miles of mixed driving.

@Lymmbo - my feedback on your queries in italics below

So far main problem seems to be that I can only use my phone connection via USB. If I use Bluetooth the directory is empty and it won't load the contacts in. When the car was delivered the guy did this for me but now they aren't visible. Just wondering if anyone else has the problem.Works fine for me with my iPhone 6s

If I use the USB I can't seem to get the apps from my iPhone 7 displayed.
The cable has to be a data cable - some non-Apple cables will only charge the phone and are not capable of transmitting data. Suggest you try a different/genuine Apple USB cable. Also, you need to activate Car Play in Settings/General and pair the car to the phone.

I've also not been able to find out where you plug in the Car Net Dongle. The guy who delivered the car advised me not to install it. But I feel it would be useful especially if I broke down or the car had problems I wasn't aware of. Unless of course I'm misunderstanding what the dongle does.
The data port (also used for car diagnostics by the technicians) is under the dashboard by your right knee and you just have to plug the dongle into it (very easy). Can't imagine why the guy told you not to use it as it works very well with VW Connect which you have to download from iTunes store before you can get it to to work by following the instructions on the Dongle box.

I hope this helps (and I hope I'm right!! :D )

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine too - "in the same boat" it seems. I have driven just about 150 miles in five days in my 1.5 DSG SEL.

I'm very happy with my first impressions, with one or two "buts". MPG not good at less than 35 but I'm sure it's too early to judge. I'm hoping for and expecting an improvement. The ride is much firmer than I expected. No-one else seems to comment on this so I'm curious to know what others think. Oh, and apparently I should be in crisis about the single-tone horn (see separate thread)!

But these are minor issues. I am very happy. The car is quiet and comfortable, and the DSG gearbox is super-smooth. I love the adaptive cruise control and lane assist and think they are going to be a valuable safety feature on my regular drives Manchester to London. And it looks great. Not too big and not too small. No glitches or dodgy noises.

Still spending time with the tech and the manual trying to master the toys and tricks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I thought the same about MPG but I've now filled up for the second time and my range has improved. The car is getting used to me and my driving so mpg is now 44 with a range of 425 - already better that the Golf!

·
Registered
186 Posts
After four months of ownership, overall I have nothing but praise for the car, (apart from the horn). My fuel consumption improved appreciably as more miles (2700) were put on and even at high speed motorway runs to and from the south coast from the West Midlands, the car nears 50mpg. Around town it returns on average 35mpg depending on distance covered. The gearbox is faultless and is much better than the previous 9 speed ZF fitted to my Land Rover. All in all the compact size with a good boot it gives me great pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi AV82
I was looking to spec a similar model to yours the 1.5tsi DSG R line but was unsure about the ride on 19" wheels, how do you find the ride on this spec? Ian

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ian I described the ride on my SEL (18 inch wheels) as much firmer than I expected. You would expect the ride on the R-Line with 19 niche wheels to be firmer still I suppose. Still, very comfortable, and I'm not saying this is a problem. My last car was an Audi A4 so it will take time to adapt. Best to take a test drive if you can

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was lucky to have DCC on my R-Line and have settled on comfort mode, the sports mode was a little harsh but glad I've found the happy medium &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Ian91. I have found the ride absolutely fine. I came from a 20" wheel on my previous car and to be honest it is no better or worse. I can uderstand if you have a larger side wall to the tyre then this should absorb the shocks better than a low profile tyre but despite very poor roads generally I am pleased. One noticeable thing is the sports suspension which is very much like my previous VW Golf GTI (which my daughter drives now) and takes twists and turns with ease. If their is a downside it is probably the cost to replace the tyres. Hope you follow your order through as its a fine car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Done about 400 miles now and it does drive very well indeed, with good level of torque when needed (1.5 Manual). The R-Line sport suspension is just a little firm, but my family and I still find it comfortable and nice that the car hugs the corners. There is a slight wobble (not always) when pulling off in 1st gear (I sensed this during test drives also when buying the car), but that can be overcome with a little more revs when pulling away ... Note: I do not believe this is the Kangaroo effect.

Now ... I have experienced the Kangaroo effect ... only the once (it was very bizarre). I think it's related to the auto hold/brake not releasing properly and when you pull away in 1st, I think it keeps applying and and you kangaroo for what seems to be 4 to 6 hops before the car starts to drive normally. Seriously this is a lot worse than the slight wobble when pulling away .. it felt like I had one of those cars with hydraulic suspension hopping up and down as you see in gangster rapper videos :)

I have experienced (only a few times) when it seems the brake is not releasing when you try to pull away (the RED 'P' remains when trying to pull away) and I disengage quickly, wait a few seconds then pull away and it's fine ... then the rest of the journey is fine.

Overall, the car is awesome and the yellow / black roof combination gets a lot of head turning, either because they love it, or think I've bought a vomit colour car :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
claireb said:
Agreed, the T-Roc is massive compared to the Golf, can't get over the width! I've taken it to work 3 times this week so have clocked up 300miles.

Found a couple of niggles too. The first one is the brake pedal gives off a whine when slowing from first gear to stopping. Second is that the front sensors have had an error and warning lights have activated whilst on the M25. It's happened on 3 journeys in rain so I figured it was due to heavy rain but when it happened with a dry road I called the dealer.

Consequently, the car is going to VW on Monday morning to check the sensors and brakes and I'll also mention that I cannot connect to car-app with the registered code (I know it's not just me)!
Clair,
The Tiguan has had the same problem with the front sensor since it was launched in 2016 and also the Ateca has it.
The sensor is mounted behind the front badge and the badge gets blocked quite a bit by any muck etc in the rain etc etc.
They have tried software updates, replacing the badges but up to now nothing has worked.
Some have found putting RainX on it to help to keep the stuff of it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My car does that with the sensor in light sea-fret type of rain, but not in torrential downpours. I think huge amounts of water run off rather than build up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Experienced the same with my Audi A3 on the front sensors in bad weather. Just one of those things with the technology at the moment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts