Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I switch ignition on, the infotainment panel shows I am set to Eco Mode (my last setting), but the main display shows I am in standard mode (gear selections starts with D and you can feel the difference in handling). If I reselect Eco mode it gets selected again and works as expected, but it is not saved for the next startup.

However, I can customise the individual setting to be ECO mode and this does get saved for next start. But it's not the same. It does not have the 'coast' mode - where the gear shows as just E the car basically coasts.

If anyone has seen a setting to enable the mode to be save please let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw a post in the forum that mentioned a software update given when they collected a replacement part (spare wheel I think). Perhaps there are some changes /fixes to be applied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Well, I just picked up my T-Roc 2019, and the problem is still there. The car doesn't remember the Eco mode.
And I just assume that my car would have the latest software...
Super annoying. I just returned a 2018 Tiguan, and that one did remember the drive mode setting as it should.
I find it a bit hard to think this behavior is by design since the Info Display still shows that Eco mode is selected.
But the gear selector is showing "D". Mixed personality, if you see what I mean.
Picture here: https://ibb.co/fqC04Mm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Dyydahl said:
Well, I just picked up my T-Roc 2019, and the problem is still there. The car doesn't remember the Eco mode.
And I just assume that my car would have the latest software...
Super annoying. I just returned a 2018 Tiguan, and that one did remember the drive mode setting as it should.
I find it a bit hard to think this behavior is by design since the Info Display still shows that Eco mode is selected.
But the gear selector is showing "D". Mixed personality, if you see what I mean.
Picture here: https://ibb.co/fqC04Mm
There was something I read in the manual (yes I've read some of it even though I don't have my car yet :D ), and I think there is a feature where you have to do this using the customised setting and these can be stored as personal settings according to the key used. I think it can store up to 4 ?

This feature may only be on certain trim levels, or may even be an option which has to be added.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I'm doing this from memory so I may have the exact details wrong but isn't this exactly what the Golf does? The engine stays in Eco mode but the gearbox reverts to standard when you shutdown.
I'll double check my handbook tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the individual setting can't be configured to have the coasting activated.
At least that was the case with my 2018 Tiguan. And the feeling was the same in the T-Roc, but I have to look closer in the individual settings tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Dyydahl said:
I'm pretty sure that the individual setting can't be configured to have the coasting activated.
At least that was the case with my 2018 Tiguan. And the feeling was the same in the T-Roc, but I have to look closer in the individual settings tonight.
Just checked the settings in Individual, and as I thought, it is not possible to activate coasting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Dyydahl said:
Dyydahl said:
I'm pretty sure that the individual setting can't be configured to have the coasting activated.
At least that was the case with my 2018 Tiguan. And the feeling was the same in the T-Roc, but I have to look closer in the individual settings tonight.
Just checked the settings in Individual, and as I thought, it is not possible to activate coasting.
I'm not sure where this has come from but my understanding is that coasting is not something the driver selects. It is a feature of ECO driving mode and is activated automatically under certain conditions of speed, throttle, engine load etc in a similar fashion to how start-stop is activated automatically according to various conditions that have to be satisfied. I apologise if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything which suggests coasting is a separate feature which can be turned off and on by the driver by itself.

From what I have read, selection of ECO (or Sport) driving mode is not stored and so is reset to Normal when the ignition is switched off. However, in Individual mode, you can select various things like A/C output and steering response along with engine modes (eg ECO) and these can be stored as personalised settings and are later restored according to which key is used. However, I believe the storing of settings isn't automatic and there is a procedure to follow. However, when ECO drive mode is manually selected, the gear indicator changes to E followed by the gear number, so the question in the OP might be whether or not this is also set/restored under the personal settings ? In all honesty, I can't answer that as individual settings cannot be stored on my current Golf, and I think it may be present on only some trim levels for the T-Roc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Impala said:
Dyydahl said:
Dyydahl said:
I'm pretty sure that the individual setting can't be configured to have the coasting activated.
At least that was the case with my 2018 Tiguan. And the feeling was the same in the T-Roc, but I have to look closer in the individual settings tonight.
Just checked the settings in Individual, and as I thought, it is not possible to activate coasting.
I'm not sure where this has come from but my understanding is that coasting is not something the driver selects. It is a feature of ECO driving mode and is activated automatically under certain conditions of speed, throttle, engine load etc in a similar fashion to how start-stop is activated automatically according to various conditions that have to be satisfied. I apologise if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything which suggests coasting is a separate feature which can be turned off and on by the driver by itself.

From what I have read, selection of ECO (or Sport) driving mode is not stored and so is reset to Normal when the ignition is switched off. However, in Individual mode, you can select various things like A/C output and steering response along with engine modes (eg ECO) and these can be stored as personalised settings and are later restored according to which key is used. However, I believe the storing of settings isn't automatic and there is a procedure to follow. However, when ECO drive mode is manually selected, the gear indicator changes to E followed by the gear number, so the question in the OP might be whether or not this is also set/restored under the personal settings ? In all honesty, I can't answer that as individual settings cannot be stored on my current Golf, and I think it may be present on only some trim levels for the T-Roc.
Well, the driving mode is saved (The graphical images are showing Eco), but coasting together with gear selector is not saved.
If the driving mode should not be stored, as part of some kind of non-environment-friendly plan from Volkswagen.
Why is still Eco showing as the selected mode in the Active info Display? This picture: https://ibb.co/fqC04Mm
Why is still Eco showing as the selected mode in the screen in the middle (The radio screen)? This picture: https://ibb.co/W0JM8bL
Both these pictures are taken after ignition is turned off, and on again.

If everything was reset to Normal mode after ignition off/on, it would have looked as if it was by intention, but now only parts are reset.
I still think this is a software bug.

Regarding the trim level, I have it all. Fully loaded more or less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Thanks for that detail Dyydahl. I will certainly check this out when I get my T-Roc.

You may be right about software (bug or otherwise) ... when was your car built/delivered and do you know if your software is at the latest level, just in case this is covered by one of the fixes that have been talked about with the kangaroo fault. Unless something is a major or safety issue, they would tend to roll up numerous changes into one software release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Impala said:
Thanks for that detail Dyydahl. I will certainly check this out when I get my T-Roc.

You may be right about software (bug or otherwise) ... when was your car built/delivered and do you know if your software is at the latest level, just in case this is covered by one of the fixes that have been talked about with the kangaroo fault. Unless something is a major or safety issue, they would tend to roll up numerous changes into one software release.
It was manufactured in February 2019, I just assume it has the latest available software from Feb 2019. But maybe that is not how it works.
I got the car one week ago, 22nd of March.
I have asked my car dealer if this is known to them, but no answer yet. And I don't really count on getting a good answer from them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
I'm afraid I have to go along with Dyydahl and his description regarding the Eco Mode and its selection... Only having the car for a week we decided to go up to Liverpool for run to see friends from our home in the East Midlands - a distance of about 115 miles. Before setting off I set the mode to Eco. On the run we averaged just over 40 mpg. Coming back, with the setting still indicating Eco, we only averaged just over 37 mpg... Why? We came back virtually the same way....
Only after reading this thread did I go out to the car and check... Sure enough, the mode is still set for Eco - but it's not actually on Eco. The coasting function is not operating... It appears you have to go back into Normal Mode and then reselect Eco.
Regarding the Coasting mode, I used to have it set on my Tiguan through the Selection Settings menu on the steering wheel. It never needed altering and it was a boon, really useful in economic driving... On the T-Roc there doesn't appear to be a seperate setting for coasting - it's just part of the Eco mode from what I understand... and I've read the manual thoroughly on the subject. Could it have anything to do with the actual gearboxes themselves? The Tiguan 2.0 TDI DSG had the wet clutch whereas the T-Roc 1.5 TSI DSG has the dry clutch...? Wear...? Have any of you more technical guys any thoughts on the subject?
Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed when I discovered this anomally. Hopefully it'll be addressed in a future software update.... or is it just wishful thinking and we have to use a "workaround" and live with it?
Others experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

T-Roc SEL, 1.5 TSI, DSG, Heated seats, Electric boot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Barnaclebob said:
I'm afraid I have to go along with Dyydahl and his description regarding the Eco Mode and its selection... Only having the car for a week we decided to go up to Liverpool for run to see friends from our home in the East Midlands - a distance of about 115 miles. Before setting off I set the mode to Eco. On the run we averaged just over 40 mpg. Coming back, with the setting still indicating Eco, we only averaged just over 37 mpg... Why? We came back virtually the same way....
Only after reading this thread did I go out to the car and check... Sure enough, the mode is still set for Eco - but it's not actually on Eco. The coasting function is not operating... It appears you have to go back into Normal Mode and then reselect Eco.
Regarding the Coasting mode, I used to have it set on my Tiguan through the Selection Settings menu on the steering wheel. It never needed altering and it was a boon, really useful in economic driving... On the T-Roc there doesn't appear to be a seperate setting for coasting - it's just part of the Eco mode from what I understand... and I've read the manual thoroughly on the subject. Could it have anything to do with the actual gearboxes themselves? The Tiguan 2.0 TDI DSG had the wet clutch whereas the T-Roc 1.5 TSI DSG has the dry clutch...? Wear...? Have any of you more technical guys any thoughts on the subject?
Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed when I discovered this anomally. Hopefully it'll be addressed in a future software update.... or is it just wishful thinking and we have to use a "workaround" and live with it?
Others experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

T-Roc SEL, 1.5 TSI, DSG, Heated seats, Electric boot.
Sorry to hear that you have the same. But I'm not surprised...
My T-Roc will be driven by my wife, and she is not that keen on pressing buttons just to get the car in a mode that I think is the best for her ;)
I don't know about the clutch, I have the 2.0 version with 190hp, 4 Motion. Running on plain petrol.
But I'm starting to think this is by design. I actually read the manual to try to find something about this.
In this picture it actually says, sorry for the manual page in Swedish, I took the picture from the instruction book that came with my car. Image here: https://ibb.co/dMsqWxG
"If profile is set to Sport or Eco, the settings for the engine or DSG gearbox will be reset to Normal when ignition is turned off. The settings for the previous profile can be activated again by choosing Sport or Eco again"

The thing that still isn't right, is that it looks as if Eco is active, but the biggest fuel saving mechanism (coasting) isn't enabled.
I will call the workshop on Monday, to at least try to get some information, and complain a little..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Dyydahl, it looks like this anomaly is a software problem!?
If the mode is set from Normal to Eco and it sets itself back to Normal when the ignition is switched off then the Mode light should switch off (instead of staying illuminated) - indicating that the system is back in the Normal mode. Alternatively, with the Mode light illuminated the system should not reset to Normal.
In either case the "fault" should be able to be rectified with a software update? And for this to happen VW would have to acknowledge the "problem". Let's not hold our breath!
It'll be interesting to hear what the workshop has to say on Monday... bearing in mind it's April Fools Day! Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had my first service on Wednesday and they did a software update as well. Still has the same issue. I have Eco mode stored in memory, that is I get in car and remember to set it to eco mode. A flip of the dial in the console back & forth sets it up for me.

After some thought I assumed the fault is just the incorrect display icon. From a certain point of view some drivers would not realise the car was in coasting mode and expect the car to decelarate via the gearbox so the default at startup precludes this as a precaution - just my guess no factual information to confirm it.

As an aside the car being a year old tomorrow is still driving like new, has had no other issues and just 4600 miles on the clock. I was told it now needs the spoiler replaced as part of the recall - though when I read of the recall and entered my vehicle details is said not required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Okay, so I've just been out for a run... Set off in Eco Mode... This is confirmed by the gear indicator showing E1, E2, E3, etc as it goes up and down through the gearbox. Also the car goes into Coasting Mode if or when I lifted my foot off the accelerator; this is indicated by the tachometer dropping down to tick-over at about 800 rpm. It then goes back into gear (indicated by the rpm rising on the tachometer - for engine breaking) with either a tap on the break pedal or a tap on the accelerator. Everything is fine.
I then pulled over and stopped the engine. After restarting the engine the Eco Mode light was still illuminated but now the gear selector indicator was now showing the gears as D1, D2, D3 etc. and there was no Coasting Mode. Therefore the car is not in the Eco Mode as indicated by the Mode switch.
These are the facts - indicating there is a "fault".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Barnaclebob said:
Okay, so I've just been out for a run... Set off in Eco Mode... This is confirmed by the gear indicator showing E1, E2, E3, etc as it goes up and down through the gearbox. Also the car goes into Coasting Mode if or when I lifted my foot off the accelerator; this is indicated by the tachometer dropping down to tick-over at about 800 rpm. It then goes back into gear (indicated by the rpm rising on the tachometer - for engine breaking) with either a tap on the break pedal or a tap on the accelerator. Everything is fine.
I then pulled over and stopped the engine. After restarting the engine the Eco Mode light was still illuminated but now the gear selector indicator was now showing the gears as D1, D2, D3 etc. and there was no Coasting Mode. Therefore the car is not in the Eco Mode as indicated by the Mode switch.
These are the facts - indicating there is a "fault".
Agreed Barnaclebob,

Reverting to Normal mode after switching off is what it is supposed to do and is described that way in the manual.

Your mpg figures confirm the car was in Normal mode on your return journey despite the various indicators/displays saying ECO.

You are correct that when in Normal mode the indicator in the Mode switch should be off and the infotainment and AID should also show Normal mode and D gear prefix. If the light remains lit or the displays still show ECO on your car, but not on others, then there is a unique fault on your car. If all cars behave the same way, there is most likely a bug in the software that should set the indicators and displays to correctly match the mode.

All the posts in this topic suggest this is a problem with the indicators/displays, rather than the actual mode the car is in after switching off.

Dyydahl, looking at your photos of the AID, the fuel consumption (l/h) shown in the centre of the screen seems to exhibit another fault/bug as it seems to display 0.9 in bold numbers superimposed on top of 1.0 in a lighter font. Had you noticed that ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Impala said:
Barnaclebob said:
Okay, so I've just been out for a run... Set off in Eco Mode... This is confirmed by the gear indicator showing E1, E2, E3, etc as it goes up and down through the gearbox. Also the car goes into Coasting Mode if or when I lifted my foot off the accelerator; this is indicated by the tachometer dropping down to tick-over at about 800 rpm. It then goes back into gear (indicated by the rpm rising on the tachometer - for engine breaking) with either a tap on the break pedal or a tap on the accelerator. Everything is fine.
I then pulled over and stopped the engine. After restarting the engine the Eco Mode light was still illuminated but now the gear selector indicator was now showing the gears as D1, D2, D3 etc. and there was no Coasting Mode. Therefore the car is not in the Eco Mode as indicated by the Mode switch.
These are the facts - indicating there is a "fault".
Agreed Barnaclebob,

Reverting to Normal mode after switching off is what it is supposed to do and is described that way in the manual.

Your mpg figures confirm the car was in Normal mode on your return journey despite the various indicators/displays saying ECO.

You are correct that when in Normal mode the indicator in the Mode switch should be off and the infotainment and AID should also show Normal mode and D gear prefix. If the light remains lit or the displays still show ECO on your car, but not on others, then there is a unique fault on your car. If all cars behave the same way, there is most likely a bug in the software that should set the indicators and displays to correctly match the mode.

All the posts in this topic suggest this is a problem with the indicators/displays, rather than the actual mode the car is in after switching off.

Dyydahl, looking at your photos of the AID, the fuel consumption (l/h) shown in the centre of the screen seems to exhibit another fault/bug as it seems to display 0.9 in bold numbers superimposed on top of 1.0 in a lighter font. Had you noticed that ?
Yeah, the more I think about it, it looks more and more like "just" a graphical issue, with the displays not showing that the mode is back in Normal.
But I still think it is annoying that coasting is turned off, especially since every VW with DGS I have had during the last years did not go back to normal, or turned off coasting.
I'm changing car every 18 months usually. So there has been 2 or 3 Passats, and 1 Tiguan, and they have all been good boys and remembered every setting between take off's.

Regarding the fuel consumption graphics in the center, I just happened the take the picture when it was switching between 0.9 and 1.0. So that is good, no issues there. I haven't noticed that the fonts are different either. I think that is just some effect caused by the photo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Thanks Dyydahl. My current Golf is the first auto/DSG I've had, so I've no idea how other cars are set up.

It is strange that every other setting on the car is retained when switched off, so perhaps as someone replied earlier, it is a safety issue regarding the engine braking, or maybe a change of regulations. On the other hand, it might just be a mistake or error in the software, along with the wonky lamps and dash symbols. I can't see it would save any money, or cause any additional wear on the gearbox since you can manually set it for every journey.

Let us know how you get on with the dealer, or if you decide to raise it with VW yourself. Good luck !
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top