Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a play with a car in the showroom, and definitely felt the tailgate was heavy, especially for my wife.
Unfortunately, there was not an electric tailgate in the showroom to play with !!

So after a bit of agonising, we amended our order to include the electric tailgate..
We were able to do so as our order does not yet have a confirmed build date.

So, what do you guys think, I see a lot of you have the electric tailgate on your orders or cars, good option to have ?

I am guessing it is operated by electric or nothing ?
Does anyone know if the tailgate can be opened/closed just like a manual tailgate (i.e. like my current Golf) ?

Would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've got one on order .. Never had one before but my brother in law has one on a Volvo and it looks great when in operation
To see it on the Troc and also how to operate and set it, just enter a search in YouTube .. There's a promotional video on there that will answer all your questions
I'm in the same boat as you re delivery .. Ordered the same spec 2 weeks before you ... Latest eta from my dealer was end of December but I think he's being massively optimistic!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just ordered a T Roc with the electric tailgate option. I had one on a Passat I had a few years ago and thought it was great. Hope we have made a good choice this time...

·
Registered
428 Posts
There are other vids that show you how to set the opening height etc

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have an electric tailgate on my (current) RSQ3 and have added this option to my R-Line order. If they work the same way that the Audi ones do, then at its base level its no different from an manual tailgate - on mine you press a button under the bar (above the number plate) to open it (same as you would a manual), and to close it, you press a button in the bottom of the tailgate.

You can also open it by pressing the boot button twice in quick succession on the key fob. I also have a button in the door which, if the ignition is on, will both open and close the tailgate.

I would imagine that the TRoc is very similar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have it on mine. You open it by pressing the VW badge in and close with a button on the actual tail gate. Pretty simple

·
Registered
47 Posts
And on thertemote you press and hold the button to open but I can only close with the remote if I dtand to the side of the car not behind it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had it on the Tig.
My daughters used to love me opening and closing it from the inside so they could put their school bags in at the school with a few of the kids looking on in amazement.
The foot swipe could be a little temperamental some times.
I'm not sure on the on the Roc but on the tig you could set the height you wanted to have it open.
You just opened it via the out side button and pushed it up to the height you wanted and then pressed the opening button and it beeped and would only open to that height. Ideal if you were a bit on the short side.
I'm not sure if anyone who already has it have tried.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a T-Roc R line 1.6tdi the boot lid will not open with the key fob anybody else on the forum experience this ? It will only open manually which is really strange for a new car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes the tailgate is heavy and I regret not including the electric option so I would advise you all to make sure you have it. It's not only heavy but also quite a stretch to reach it manually.

·
Registered
158 Posts
CAUTION
Picture the scenario... Raining, loads of shopping, run to the car, press the button on the key-fob, boot opens, put the keys down (on the boot floor - you know what's coming) put all of the shopping in the boot, and press the closing button on the boot lid. Boot dutifully closes... keys locked inside of boot!!!
Phone home for spare set of keys... brought in other car.
As a result of this escapade it is advised to unlock the car first - and then open the boot. That way you can open the boot by use of the VW badge to retrieve keys if you're dumb enough to make this mistake.... Lesson learned.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
1,722 Posts
Barnaclebob said:
CAUTION
Picture the scenario... Raining, loads of shopping, run to the car, press the button on the key-fob, boot opens, put the keys down (on the boot floor - you know what's coming) put all of the shopping in the boot, and press the closing button on the boot lid. Boot dutifully closes... keys locked inside of boot!!!
Phone home for spare set of keys... brought in other car.
As a result of this escapade it is advised to unlock the car first - and then open the boot. That way you can open the boot by use of the VW badge to retrieve keys if you're dumb enough to make this mistake.... Lesson learned.
The take away from this is that you should also order keyless entry if you order powered tailgate :lol:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Keyless entry? No way Pedro! I wouldn't have that for a big clock - certainly on present day cars where you don't have an option to disable it. No, lesson learned, it won't happen again!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Jeez, so "Much To Do About Nothing".
Would never have another electric tailgate, dents in the same due to bad judgement are horrid.
My missus stand only 5'.2" tall, (in flats) weights <>8.5 stone (true figure is on a need to know basis and secret) but can handle this problem like a trooper. Electric tailgates indeed. :D :D :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
brid said:
Would never have another electric tailgate, dents in the same due to bad judgement are horrid.
My missus stand only 5'.2" tall, (in flats) weights <>8.5 stone (true figure is on a need to know basis and secret) but can handle this problem like a trooper. Electric tailgates indeed. :D :D :D
I actually find something satisfying about pulling the heavy Boot closed. It shuts with a nice "thud" 😬

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Barnaclebob's goof really has nothing to do with whether the tailgate is electric or not. Even with a manual tailgate you can unlock and then manually open the tailgate using the centre button in the key fob, place the keys on the boot floor and close the tailgate. Result, key locked in the boot.

The lesson is to put the key back into your pocket immediately after unlocking the tailgate - OR - just unlock the doors then open the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
brid said:
Your petite wife probably knows the 'trick' to closing the manual boot i.e. by pulling on the easier-to-reach recess on the inside of the boot lid rather than by stretching to push the boot lid shut from the outside. This helps a lot with closing and minimises contact between their wedding/engagement rings and your lovely paintwork ;) .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow - is this the marmite feature?

I'm 6 foot and definitely not petite. I keep my keys in a metal tin out of range of the front door. Not sure the satisfying thud does it for me, push or pull, I JUST WANT ONE !!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
We made a test just too see what would happen.
I locked all the doors (keyless entry) then i opened the boot lid with the central button on the key fob i then put both my wife's and my keys in the boot then waiting like a coiled spring to retreve them in case the worst happened i pushed the close button on the boot lid and low and behold the bugger refused to budge until i had taken at least one set of keys out of the boot.
I repeated this several times and always the same results. Interesting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts