• No

Votes: 5 45.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I vote FUGLY!

The welcome lights are cool and the rear light cluster is nice though. I just can’t get past the front. I really don’t like it.

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Change is often different. Is that change better, worse, indifferent? Does it matter? It's just change after all.

Personally I think it's a nice looking thing. No better or worse than the one I have IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its not as different as i thought, i was wondering if they would go with a Golf 8 type dash but much of the old dash has survived aside from the floating screen. I am not sure of the light bar on the front but dont like it on the Golf 8 either, but pleased to see they have kept the main elements which made the T roc a success.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More pics here:

Also several YouTube videos now online.

I do like it, especially the R Line. Some new colours as well.
I do quite like the new “petroleum blue” color.

Maybe the new design will grow on me but for now I just feel like the proportions aren’t right for the grill and fake intakes and it sort of looks too “round” at the front. Not keen on that light that runs through the middle. It looks like an afterthought slapped on, unlike the one on the new Golf which looks at least thoughtfully designed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
After watching the video I actually like it.
There's not much of a change over the mark 1 🤷‍♂️

I like the new taillights and the new front bumper/lights 👌

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
There is more that I dislike about this than I like ... where to start ?

First the ugly front bumper with what looks like a giant bottle opener on each side and a pointless light bar, and I don't like how the bonnet/wing line is now curved and gives the car has a sad droopy expression from the side.

I'm not the keen on the rear end either, replicating the same ugly panels for the reflectors, though the light clusters look ok.

As for the inside, well who exactly in focus groups thinks touch controls are a good idea on bumpy UK roads. Things are bad enough on my current car when trying to do anything on the infotainment screen and even my wife as a passenger struggles to avoid touching the wrong area or 'button'. Now the heater controls and steering wheel controls have gone the same way - not a good idea.

There also seems to be a lot more glossy piano black, which might look ok when new and nicely polished but will be a fingerprint magnet in daily life.

Obviously things like the Sat Nav and media functions can't be judged without hands-on, but the removal of the rotary knobs, as with the heater, will make it harder to use on the move. Interestingly, the reviewer in the You Tube video even went so far as to recommend choosing a model with the smaller screen just so s to get the rotary knobs.

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Having just taken delivery of a new T-Roc there was always slight concern on whether I should have waited and ordered the facelift model. Now I have seen the walk around of the actual cars I am reassured that I am not missing out too much.

The side and rear views don’t seem that different and I like the new rear lights but I am not keen on the changes to the front. The R-Line especially seems to have far too much going on. I’m not sure why they have made it so similar to the R. In my view the R-Line should be the more ‘executive’ looking model with the R being the obviously sporty one.

I really don’t like what they have done to the cabin though. The current model has a nice simplicity to it with real knobs and buttons and a subtly integrated infotainment screen. I don’t understand the fascination with touch sensitive controls, especially in a car. As mentioned above, it can be hard enough hitting the right spot on a screen when driving without all the steering wheel and aircon controls being similarly difficult. I also don’t much like the floating infotainment screen. These are fitted to a lot of cars now and they always look to me like an afterthought, and fragile too.

I do wonder what these upgrades will do to the price of the various models and what all the extra chip requirements will do to the delivery times. VW do seem to have slimmed down the number of model variants (6 down to 3?) so that might help things.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That’s not as nice as the model it replaces.i had a fiesta with that upright screen and it got so hot when the sun was on it,plus I prefer the heating knobs on the old version! So happy I got the last of the ‘old’ model…for once i got it right in getting an outgoing model 😁🎉

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel it looks far too much like a Citroen DS car from the front. It's like they're all now trying to make the last of these ICE cars look like electric designs. Homogenised design I suppose as variations on a shape are increasingly difficult and cost rules innovation sadly. The interior looks more current VW group now though but as someone on here pointed out the main parts we touch (steering wheel, gearstick) feel fine anyway and I can safely say not once have I squeezed the dash on my current car when I've been driving it :LOL: Again, subjectively, I think they have taken some of the character away from the T-Roc. For a VW it was a, dare I say, exciting design.

Edit: Matt Watson on Carwow has a massive hatred for these sliding controls rather than dials and I see Impala mentioned it. I think it's a terrible design decision that has been done for cost purposes like the touch sensitive controls on some steering wheels. The less eyes off the road time, the less likelyhood of an accident.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wish I had waited, love the new look and interior, may reorder and a quick trade.
Fair enough - I mean design is certainly subjective to a degree (just look at the near 50/50 split on my poll).

I like the direction they tried to go, I just feel it was not well executed. I was going to do a Photoshop for the way I’d have designed the facelift but it’s been a long week and I can no longer be arsed.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2
1 - 20 of 21 Posts