• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 55.0%
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
beautiful or ugly, in principle it will only be available on the UK market from June 2022,let's see how things go

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
beautiful or ugly, in principle it will only be available on the UK market from June 2022,let's see how things go
Seems a very long wait considering they've stopped building the mrk1 which is only available from stock. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Seal

·
Registered
45 Posts
Soft touch materials are a change for the better, but by all accounts the shift to touchscreen controls instead of 'traditional' rotary controllers for air-con are a bad move. I'm glad I got mine ordered in the summer and have avoided this new questionable improvement. By all accounts it is a distraction that anyone who has used in other cars does not recommend. Shame really.

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Whatever happened to user focus groups ?

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
441 Posts
Seems a very long wait considering they've stopped building the mrk1 which is only available from stock. 🤷‍♂️
No Vernerbongo2,the T-Roc mk1 will be produced until the 23rd of December,and the facelift it may be available on the market sooner, but for that some problems will have to be resolved by the suppliers/VW logistica

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
67 Posts
As someone who looked at the T-Roc before buying something else (Skoda Yeti) this update has reignited my interest when I change cars in 2022. What put me right off the original T-Roc was the downmarket interior - all hard surfaces and utilitarian. On the Mk2 there is soft touch dashboard and a much more quality feel/look to it. Obviously VW eventually took notice of the criticism of the poor interior from virtually every reviewer and decided to give the new model the interiror quality it deserved and was missing from the launch version.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As someone who looked at the T-Roc before buying something else (Skoda Yeti) this update has reignited my interest when I change cars in 2022. What put me right off the original T-Roc was the downmarket interior - all hard surfaces and utilitarian. On the Mk2 there is soft touch dashboard and a much more quality feel/look to it. Obviously VW eventually took notice of the criticism of the poor interior from virtually every reviewer and decided to give the new model the interiror quality it deserved and was missing from the launch version.
Still has hard window sills. Like a Polo. Which is way cheaper. And still no felt. I feel like it was a half-arsed effort at improving the interior quality and if I go for another VAG car, it will be from Skoda. Most of their cars feel luxury inside these days.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had Skoda’s for the last 15 years - an Octavia and then two Yeti’s. Present Yeti up for change in 2022 so looking around for a suitable alternative. Obviously Kamiq was first look but it’s driving position is so much lower than the Yet’s it feels like driving a hatchback, not so much problem for me but my wife has a back condition that makes getting 'down’ into a car and (worse) climbing up out a real problem. Karoq is too big so Skoda’s are out, looking at new Honda HR-V (hybrid) plus a few others but T-Roc has great reputation for smooth ride and is right size. Obviously I haven’t seen one yet and it all comes down to how premium and comfortable the cabin is and how it drives plus ease of access etc. Hopefully they will offer leather seats (slide-ability is important as well) so will have to wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
I was divided between the T-Roc and Karoq, with pros and cons on both sides.

Good points for me on the T-Roc were the size was just about right and I preferred the body styling. Bad points were the hard plastics, lack of elelctric/memory seat function and other penny pinching like removal of door pocket linings and bonnet gas strut. I didn't like the SEL seats, so I was leaning more to the Karoq until I saw the R-Line.

Good points for the Karoq were basically the reverse of the T-Roc's bad points - had electric/memory seat and the interior trim just looked and felt better and more like VW once were, plus more standard equipment. Against were the less attractive body styling, a bit bigger than I wanted/needed, I didn't need or like the VarioFlex seats, I didn't like having a third stalk for adaptive cruise control and I didn't like the lack of buttons on the Infotainment (Edition trim). In fact, I found myself more inclined to add options to the SEL rather than take the Edition just to things things I didn't like or want.

I've had a brief online look at the Kamiq, which seems nice enough but isn't a high ride like the Karoq and T-Roc so not best for me, and the interior looks as if it uses similar hard plastics. And it still has a stupid 3rd stalk for the ACC ... I'm surprised they don't use the same multifunction steering wheel as VW and just change the central badge.

But I do not like the exterior styling of the face lift T-Roc, so unless it grows on me when/if I see one in the metal then it looks like I'll have to wait for the next revamp or switch to another brand when it's time to change.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And it still has a stupid 3rd stalk for the ACC
I think Audi use that stupid stalk too. I can’t understand why anyone would think it’s better. Is it supposed to be so that people who are familiar with traditional cruise control feel more comfortable?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have both the wheel mounter ACC on the T-Roc and an Audi with the 3rd stalk.
The wheel mounted setup is great if you are unfamiliar with the controls but you need to keep looking at the wheel to operate it.
The Audi 3rd stalk is great to just flick to set/resume or adjust speeds, really a natural movement, but a pain to operate if you are unfamiliar with it as you can't really see it without taking your eyes down lower.

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
... The wheel mounted setup is great if you are unfamiliar with the controls but you need to keep looking at the wheel to operate it ...
I first had ACC with steering wheel controls on my previous car, a 2014 Golf mk7, and I had a basic cruise control with a stalk on the car before that, a 2010 Jetta. I got used to operating both without too much trouble, but the steering wheel seems the better solution to me as your hand remains in contact with or very close to the steering wheel rather than underneath. I never have to look at the wheel to operate it. Fine tuning the set speed by +/- 1mph or +/- 5mph is a piece of cake, as is temporarily suspending and resuming.

... The Audi 3rd stalk is great to just flick to set/resume or adjust speeds, really a natural movement, but a pain to operate if you are unfamiliar with it as you can't really see it without taking your eyes down lower.
Until you get very familiar with the stalk controls, I think they are inherently unsafe to operate. It is close to a deal breaker for me when choosing a new car now, and there is no way my wife would ever use one.

Sorry for going off topic, but it just shows that you have to thoroughly explore a car's features before buying as not only are there so many variations across brands, but you can't rely on a revamped version of your current car retaining your favourites. The touch heater controls on the T-Roc face lift spring to mind, and I've yet to find any car in a showroom in which you can explore the Sat Nav never mind the ACC.

So buyer beware ... you only have yourself to blame if you get a surprise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
At first I didn't mind the look. From the front it looked a bit Mk1 Tiguan Escape with the higher lower bumper design (if that makes sense), but...
Having now seen pictures of the production cars rear, that is some ugly duckling. What were they thinking when they put those 'oval' red refectors (assuming) above the fake exhausts. Also, to either side the drop of the bumpers from the wheel arches just looks wrong and cumbersome.
As some others have said, glad we've got a pre-facelift.

·
Registered
67 Posts
At first I didn't mind the look. From the front it looked a bit Mk1 Tiguan Escape with the higher lower bumper design (if that makes sense), but...
Having now seen pictures of the production cars rear, that is some ugly duckling. What were they thinking when they put those 'oval' red refectors (assuming) above the fake exhausts. Also, to either side the drop of the bumpers from the wheel arches just looks wrong and cumbersome.
As some others have said, glad we've got a pre-facelift.
As a potential purchaser I have to say that the facelift model looks a lot more up to date than, in my opinion, the blandness of the original. The better looks coupled with a much improved interior (soft touch dashboard etc.) has made me consider a T-Roc for my next vehicle. Mind you others in the running are new Honda VR-V (hybrid) and new Kia Niro hybrid (2022 model). The T-Roc is not hybrid and doesn’t pretend to be anything other than standard ICE which is far preferable to cars like the Puma which claim to be mild hybrid but in all honesty are so mild as to be nothing much more than an advertising claim. Until I’ve driven them all won’t make a decision but at least T-Roc is in the running.

·
Registered
Q3 Sportback 45TFSI Vorsprung
12 Posts
A facelift 'R' is on my shortlist too, but delivery timescales are possibly too uncertain. (My other prime candidate is a Mini Countryman JCW, which I'm told is still available on 3-4 month delivery, with an RSQ3 as a fairly distant 3rd choice).

I think it's very difficult to judge whether you like the look of the facelift without seeing more on-the-road footage online, but all there's been so far seems to be the various warehouse shots plus a short segment of B-roll. And of course seeing the car in the metal is better still, but that's probably not going to be an option on my ordering timescale. I'm guessing that there will be a proper press launch sometime soon, ie with cars available for the journo's to drive, which AFAIK hasn't happened yet. This should generate some more YouTube videos. FWIW I wasn't in love with the look of the 'old' T-Roc model and the FL seems to look slightly better. Why am I even considering it? Because there are so few models that meet a small crossover/SUV spec with 300bhp and 4WD. The choice is very limited. (SQ2 is out on several grounds, Cupra Ateca is an option, but a relatively old car now. BMW Q1/Q2 don't appeal.)

As to the various controls etc: I suspect that no-one likes the new touch controls but they're presumably cheaper to make and it's increasingly difficult to find a new model that doesn't have them, including virtually all EVs. I wouldn't be surprised if VW group listen to some of the universal criticism and maybe the next generation of ID3/ID4 etc will regress a little towards knobs and buttons (or at least have more usable touch controls). But that's not going to happen on my timescale for ordering a new car so I've got to live with what's actually available.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Generally I agree with you. One of the attractions of the new Honda HR-V is that it retains traditional knobs for heating, volume etc rather than touch sliders hidden in a menu impossible to find without taking your eyes off the road. It beats me why you can’t even touch a mobile phone without risking points and a fine but you can legally delve through menus on a cars infotainment system to, say, adjust the temperature. Where is the sense in that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't see what all the noise is about on the temperature controls.
Apart from the initial set up I have not touched the controls in any vehicle I have had.
Climate control, you set and forget. As long as there is still seat heating controls ready available it is not even a consideration if the temperature control is a dial, touch screen, slider or mind probe.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
A facelift 'R' is on my shortlist too, but delivery timescales are possibly too uncertain. (My other prime candidate is a Mini Countryman JCW, which I'm told is still available on 3-4 month delivery, with an RSQ3 as a fairly distant 3rd choice).

I think it's very difficult to judge whether you like the look of the facelift without seeing more on-the-road footage online, but all there's been so far seems to be the various warehouse shots plus a short segment of B-roll. And of course seeing the car in the metal is better still, but that's probably not going to be an option on my ordering timescale. I'm guessing that there will be a proper press launch sometime soon, ie with cars available for the journo's to drive, which AFAIK hasn't happened yet. This should generate some more YouTube videos. FWIW I wasn't in love with the look of the 'old' T-Roc model and the FL seems to look slightly better. Why am I even considering it? Because there are so few models that meet a small crossover/SUV spec with 300bhp and 4WD. The choice is very limited. (SQ2 is out on several grounds, Cupra Ateca is an option, but a relatively old car now. BMW Q1/Q2 don't appeal.)

As to the various controls etc: I suspect that no-one likes the new touch controls but they're presumably cheaper to make and it's increasingly difficult to find a new model that doesn't have them, including virtually all EVs. I wouldn't be surprised if VW group listen to some of the universal criticism and maybe the next generation of ID3/ID4 etc will regress a little towards knobs and buttons (or at least have more usable touch controls). But that's not going to happen on my timescale for ordering a new car so I've got to live with what's actually available.
Why is an RSQ3 a distant 3rd? I’d have that over any of the others you mentioned without even thinking about it. Tremendous car with tremendous performance and a much nicer car than all the rest. Get the sportback model and add black pack 😍😍😍😍

21 - 40 of 80 Posts