Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 55.0%
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
Why is an RSQ3 a distant 3rd? I’d have that over any of the others you mentioned without even thinking about it. Tremendous car with tremendous performance and a much nicer car than all the rest. Get the sportback model and add black pack 😍😍😍😍
@johnd, how can you even include the RSQ3 when it's in a different league & price bracket. (price is possibly why its a distant 3rd?)

If money isn't a problem then it's an easy choice, the RSQ3 all day long 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
Q3 Sportback 45TFSI Vorsprung
12 Posts
Why is an RSQ3 a distant 3rd? I’d have that over any of the others you mentioned without even thinking about it. Tremendous car with tremendous performance and a much nicer car than all the rest. Get the sportback model and add black pack 😍😍😍😍
Well, it's slightly OT here, but in brief: I currently run a Q3 45TFSI SB Vorsprung (that's the top-spec model with the ca 230bhp engine, ie the top 2l engine, but obviously short of the RSQ3's 5-pot engine). There is no SQ3 in the range, which would presumably have the 2l 300bho engine and even 'regular' Vorsprung models are deleted currently because the Side Assist chips are in. such short supply.

But having run a Vorsprung model then anything less would feel like a step backwards, whatever the performance. You do get used to the toys, some of them at least, though things like Park Assist and Lane-keeping I can happily ignore. But IIRC to get a pan roof needs the Vorsrung spec, and I do like a pan roof.

But the main reason is that Audi UK insist on supplying RSQ3 Vorsprung (which is still orderable) with 21" 35 profile wheels/tyres. My current drive has 20"/40 profile and, even with adaptive dampers, I know that's as firm as I'm happy going. Also, the Q3 is still a larger car than than I'd really like - I have an - admittedly odd - preference for smaller cars, which are typically more nimble and chuckable. Used to run a Yeti some years back and that struck me as an ideal balance between size and capability. Great shame it morphed into the Karoq and with no vRS version available AFAIK!

The other factor is cost of course. It's not so much that it would be unaffordable, just that I can't convince myself that it's good value for money, especially in these days of minimal discounts and especially also for a model that's prone to depreciate quickly. The price tag would be ca £65K, maybe a little less if I could strike a good deal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't see what all the noise is about on the temperature controls.
Apart from the initial set up I have not touched the controls in any vehicle I have had.
Climate control, you set and forget. As long as there is still seat heating controls ready available it is not even a consideration if the temperature control is a dial, touch screen, slider or mind probe.
In cold weather or to clear condensation from the windscreen I need to change the preset auto settings to maximise airflow to the screen, only way to do that is through menu settings. In my current car (Skoda Yeti) I simply press one button to achieve max demisting then another single button to reengage Auto when screen is clear, no need to take eyes off road for a second.

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
I can't see what all the noise is about on the temperature controls.
Apart from the initial set up I have not touched the controls in any vehicle I have had.
Climate control, you set and forget. As long as there is still seat heating controls ready available it is not even a consideration if the temperature control is a dial, touch screen, slider or mind probe.
The interior of your car cannot always be at the temperature you want. Some mornings it may be well below zero and your breath will at a minimum mist the windscreen or may even freeze, while on a blistering sunny summer afternoon the interior might get to 40C or more and the steering wheel too hot to hold.

On those cold mornings, you need to up the temp setting to give you a quick boost and reduce glass misting. And on those hottest days, you want max A/C and a lower temp to cool the interior quickly - it's not just the air which gets hot, every bit of plastic and material will be hot and retains heat for longer. And turning up the fan to max and opening a window gets rid of the hot air from the interior quicker and from inside the A/C system itself.

All of these things require adjustment of the controls, which is much easier and safer to do with dials and buttons - unless you like to shiver or stew or risk hitting someone or something while you fiddle with menus and sliders with your finger bouncing up and down and invariably touching something you don't want..

Reactions: My Red One

·
Registered
313 Posts
I stand to be corrected. But I don’t understand having to change the temperature no matter how hot or cold it is. It’s thermostatically controlled so it will heat the car up as fast as it can to the temperature you have set it to if you set the temperature to 21c it will heat as fast as it can to 21c. You turning the temperature to 30c will make no difference to the heating time. Unless you want to heat your interior to 30c.
Am I wrong???

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
I stand to be corrected. But I don’t understand having to change the temperature no matter how hot or cold it is. It’s thermostatically controlled so it will heat the car up as fast as it can to the temperature you have set it to if you set the temperature to 21c it will heat as fast as it can to 21c. You turning the temperature to 30c will make no difference to the heating time. Unless you want to heat your interior to 30c.
Am I wrong???
Don't forget that the temperature will be different in different parts of the car. People on one side may be in sunshine and so want a cooler temp, while those in the rear are often lagging behind, hence the reason why some cars have 2 or even 3 zone control. Then you might have passengers who have different comfort levels. Lots of reasons for changing the temp and other settings such as directing all the air to the screen, face, or feet on occasions.

Also, even assuming that the temp control in the car doesn't use proportional control, where the heating/cooling is reduced as the set temp is approached, I think you are missing the point about the difference between the air temp in the car vs body temp/comfort.

If I'm chilled to the bone, my personal body temperature and comfort will be more quickly restored by heating the car, initially, above 21c and then dailing it back down when I thaw out. The converse is true when cooling is needed.

It's not about how long it takes the heating/cooling system to decide the air in the car has reached the set temp, it's about how long it takes me to reach my body temp/comfort zone. As I said, I think that is best achieved by setting a higher/lower temp and fan speed to start with and then reducing/increasing the set temp as I get comfortable. On the coldest mornings I even start with re-circ turned on as that also speeds up heating the car, then I switch it off to restore fresh air.

If you are happy leaving the temp and other controls always at the same settings, that is your choice, but it still doesn't alter the concerns with touch controls for those who need or choose to use them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi
You may have seen it but the face lift is in the VW web site.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Another review from Tomas (YouTube)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see that the configurator for the facelift is now live on the VW site.

It would be nice to see a downloadable price-list though, which usually includes a model vs features/options table. So difficult to work out otherwise precisely which options and features are available in different models. (I suspect that this first release of the configurator isn't 100% accurate in this respect - it seems possible to add the same feature twice, once as standard and once as an option without it being properly clear exactly what is standard (in an R, which would be my interest). hopefully this might get fixed soon.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
R-line now comes with 17" alloys as standard & the single tone horn is still there 😂🙈🤷‍♂️

Actually I quite like the new Taigo 🤔👌

Edited 4/3/22
I've changed my mind again, the Taigo looks like a Ford focus from the side 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looking at Configurator I quickly got to £33,000 with a 1.5 DSG on the Style spec with a few options including leather interior, couldn’t add mud flaps or rubber interior mats as those prices not yet in system. That’s about the same, or a bit more, than the new top spec Honda HR-V which is another option I have in mind.
Not sure what discounts will be available on new T-Roc but in view of limited supply I would expect very little for any new car at the moment.
It’s interesting that I paid just over £21,000 in 2017 for a new top spec Skoda Yeti which has more options/features than the T-Roc at £33,000! That’s a 50% uplift in 5 years. Wow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got to around £50K for an R!!! Includes various options of course like a pan roof. But also constrained by limitations on some features, eg it looks to me like the only way of getting an electric driver's seat (just the driver, not the passenger side!) is to add the leather pack. I do quite like an electric seat - it always seems to provide more flexibility of positioning of the various seat cushions and hence easier to get properly comfortable.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I've got to around £50K for an R!!! Includes various options of course like a pan roof. But also constrained by limitations on some features, eg it looks to me like the only way of getting an electric driver's seat (just the driver, not the passenger side!) is to add the leather pack. I do quite like an electric seat - it always seems to provide more flexibility of positioning of the various seat cushions and hence easier to get properly comfortable.
£50k for a T-Roc R is simply not worth it for what you get. That’s absurd.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree but the price of cars seem to have shot up over the last couple of years, it seems now that a reasonably specced quality car/crossover starts in excess of £30k. There are cheaper options like the Duster but if, like me, you want a modern comfortable car with bells and whistles then you can start at £30k. I suspect the growth of EV's and their development costs has something to do with it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't like it either but it's a question of what the alternative might be? What I'm after is a smallish (but not too small) crossover/SUV with ca 5sec 0-60, 4WD, decent ride & handling (not over-firm ride and understeer kept well under control in fast corners) and decent tech, in a nutshell. There's not actually a huge amount of choice besides T-Roc R:
  • Cupra Ateca (which is pretty similar to the T-Roc under the skin) but is an older model now. Might well be a bit cheaper but in the UK forces you to have blue leather seats in VZ2 trim!
  • Cupra Formentor: bit of an oddball car and too low for me;
  • Audi Q2 - might be OK in principle, but no thanks in practice - no adaptive dampers available AFAIK and that stupid little iPad perched on top of the dash;
  • Mini Countryman JCW - in with a shout, but tech is outmoded (eg no blind spot monitor) and the main infotainment screen inside that circular speedo-type thing I don't think I could live with.
  • RR Evoque P300: Nice premium car but equally if not more expensive. Too heavy to allow the engine power really to be felt. And some important toys have been deleted from availability like the HUD
  • Mercedes GLA:35: A definite possible, but only available with 21" wheels and 35 profile tyres - no thanks. And again important toys like the HUD have ben deleted.
I think that most if not all of the above are, give or take, in the same cost ballpark as the T Roc R. What else is there?
One sweetener might be that Carfile still seem to be suggesting the possibility of a 7% discount.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I don't like it either but it's a question of what the alternative might be? What I'm after is a smallish (but not too small) crossover/SUV with ca 5sec 0-60, 4WD, decent ride & handling (not over-firm ride and understeer kept well under control in fast corners) and decent tech, in a nutshell. There's not actually a huge amount of choice besides T-Roc R:
  • Cupra Ateca (which is pretty similar to the T-Roc under the skin) but is an older model now. Might well be a bit cheaper but in the UK forces you to have blue leather seats in VZ2 trim!
  • Cupra Formentor: bit of an oddball car and too low for me;
  • Audi Q2 - might be OK in principle, but no thanks in practice - no adaptive dampers available AFAIK and that stupid little iPad perched on top of the dash;
  • Mini Countryman JCW - in with a shout, but tech is outmoded (eg no blind spot monitor) and the main infotainment screen inside that circular speedo-type thing I don't think I could live with.
  • RR Evoque P300: Nice premium car but equally if not more expensive. Too heavy to allow the engine power really to be felt. And some important toys have been deleted from availability like the HUD
  • Mercedes GLA:35: A definite possible, but only available with 21" wheels and 35 profile tyres - no thanks. And again important toys like the HUD have ben deleted.
I think that most if not all of the above are, give or take, in the same cost ballpark as the T Roc R. What else is there?
One sweetener might be that Carfile still seem to be suggesting the possibility of a 7% discount.
RSQ3 comes with 20” wheels as standard, along with satnav, electric (leather) seats, and it’s not much more than £50k. I’d be paying the extra for the better engine and overall trim (and they hold value better!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
RSQ3 comes with 20” wheels as standard, along with satnav, electric (leather) seats, and it’s not much more than £50k. I’d be paying the extra for the better engine and overall trim (and they hold value better!)
If I went RSQ3 then I'd want Vorsprung. I can't remember the exact trim details & options offhand but it's something like if you want a pan roof then you have to go Vorsprung and then the only option is 21" wheels (and £65K). Not sure I'd agree about the depreciation - it's always talked about as a fast-depreciating car though of course all bets are off in present circumstances. The other issue is that RSQ3 seems to cross a boundary into being a premium car with much increased chances of theft and damage. If only there was an SQ3.......but there isn't, and apparently no prospect of one - SQ2 is apparently meant to fill that niche.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
If I went RSQ3 then I'd want Vorsprung. I can't remember the exact trim details & options offhand but it's something like if you want a pan roof then you have to go Vorsprung and then the only option is 21" wheels (and £65K). Not sure I'd agree about the depreciation - it's always talked about as a fast-depreciating car though of course all bets are off in present circumstances. The other issue is that RSQ3 seems to cross a boundary into being a premium car with much increased chances of theft and damage. If only there was an SQ3.......but there isn't, and apparently no prospect of one - SQ2 is apparently meant to fill that niche.
Fair enough, I thought Audi performance models held their value well. And yeah £65k is stretching it a bit far eh. I see your dilemma!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts