Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within a few days of receiving my new T-ROC, I had a situation where the horn was needed. And what a sound. Singel tone and very cheap sounding. Almost an embarrassment to use. :oops:
Another few days later and now the horn is silent. Out of order. I guess the car feels the same. VW will take the car back in a couple of weeks and have the car 2 days to find the error. I wish they could fix the sound too.

I found this video today where the horns of new cars is tested. Its in danish language, but you only need to listen to the horns.

T-ROC at 00:10 and 01:50.

Registered
I agree. I've got an SEL & the spec list states it has a double tone horn. Fortunately I've not needed to use it much but it's definitely a single tone cheap horn. I'd really expect a car of that size to have a meaty sounding horn rather than something that sounds like it's meant to be fitted to a moped. Oh well, that's cost cutting for you I guess 馃槀

Registered
Rubbish...........must have found some left over from 1970's beetles. Need replacing as do not sound like twin tone to me.

Registered
Can you imagine overtaking an artic when you are in his blind spot and he starts to pull out towards you, as it happened to me some years ago? I hit the horn and he kept coming as he seemed not to hear me or see me in his mirrors. Ended up putting some very high pitched air horns on that car, for safety.
Even I can hardly hear this horn when doing 40mph on a quiet road, so what chance do we have in the above situation. Clearly, something needs to be done about this. I might ring up the dealers and see what they say about this. I suppose they will say they think it is OK. Which it is clearly NOT!

Registered
Sounds like one of those 'squeeky' toys that you give to a dog ... oh I know, I'll carry one of those with me and use it to create a more fearsome note!!
Don't think I'll be able to stand such a feeble note .. does anybody know the position of the 'horn' under the bonnet? If it's reasonably accessible it wouldn't be too difficult to fit an extra one in tandem

Registered
If the audible signal from a vehicle is not adequate, does that make for a fail on the MOT when it is due, and also does it also mean that the car will not comply with traffic regulation "Regulation: 37/99
Act: Road Vehicles (Construction And Use) Regulations 1986
Subject: Warning Instruments
Every motor vehicle shall be fitted with an instrument capable of giving audible and sufficient warning of its approach or position (unless max, speed is 20mph or less). The sound emitted shall be continuous, uniform, and not strident (applies only if vehicle first used after 1.8.73). A reversing alarm shall not be strident. The sound emitted may not be a gong, bell, siren or two-tone horn (unless an emergency vehicle). May not be sounded when stationary. May not be sounded on a restricted road between 23:30 and 07:00."

Registered
braveheart74 said:
Just tested my horn, sounds nice, definitely a twin horn on a 1.5 Sel
That's great to hear yours is twin tone
Looks like all specs quote both single and twin tone on standard equipment lists
Weird 馃

Registered
Yeah I don't blame you, if mine's the same I'll be asking them
How long have you had your SEL ?

Registered
If certain models have single/twin horns that might make sense but if e.g.2 SEL's have different horns, doesn't it suggest there must be a fault on one of them. If not the Factory are just fitting whatever falls to hand as the car progresses down the line!

Registered
Mine's a design with a nice loud un-tinny sounding horn.

Registered
Just looking at the specifications on the VW TRoc website. It says under the safety tab that the car has a twin tone and single tone horn. Could it be that the single tone is used by the alarm system and drivers use the twin tone? Would it be possible to have this reversed as my car is definitely a single tone and poor when the steering wheel pad is operated. Any ideas?

Registered
Hi

My 1.5L T-ROC Design has Twin-tone horns fitted - ideal for blasting at all the idiots you come across on the roads today. :cool:

Registered
I have just gone through this with the dealer. The official website on standard equipment clearly states that a twin tone horn is fitted to certain models as is a single tone horn to again certain models. However I cannot find which models either are fitted to or why. Whilst my car was in the dealer being looked at I was loaned a VW Up with a loud twin tone horn!!! So a much cheaper car has a twin tone horn than a top of the specification R-Line? The technician printed off my build sheet from the factory and it clearly shows a single horn and single wiring loom for my car. Its is mounted within the nearside wing behind the spot lamp. If it was a twin tone it would have had additional wiring to a second horn on the opposite side. Clearly I am not happy with this and will try to pursue via VW. Has anyone have a twin tone horn and if so what spec level is your car.

Registered
+1 for the puny horn gang. Fitted to an R Line.

Looking at the specs the R Line does state a single tone horn. Crazy that the top spec gets the single horn.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.