Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1.5 TSI EVO R-Line Ravenna Blue/Black 2018 Manual
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Second post on this great forum! I purchased the Huawei E8372 wingle (USB hotspot) and inserted a free data sim from 3 network. This has been a useful way to connect the car to the internet and provide free traffic updates for the inbuilt sat nav.

However - I am constantly seeing a pop-up at the top of the screen stating, "Reading USB 2..." and I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

Any thoughts? Otherwise it may be a deal breaker for me

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Hi @singh23 - I've have the same E8372 wingle with the free 200MB per month data SIM from Three . I've had it for nearly 3 years and I have seen that message but very, very rarely. The message disappears after a few seconds.

Your signature indicates your car is a 2018 R-Line (mine is 2019) which should mean that you have the Mib2 Infotainment and Sat Nav system with 2 SD card slots and a CD player in the glove compartment. I assume that you will have the Sat Nav map data on an SD card in one of the slots, but have you fitted a second card in the other slot with music files ?

Also, do you leave the wingle plugged in to one of the USB connectors below the heater and A/C controls ? Which of the 2 connectors do you use ? I'm just trying to build a picture of your setup compared to mine.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I get the same message on mine, and I have my Huawei plugged into the LH USB slot under the infotainment unit. If I switch the Huawei off I don't get the message, it only appears when I switch the wingle on - but then having the wingle off kind of defeats the reason for putting one in there in the first place.

@singh23, you will always get this message for the simple reason that the system is initiating when you switch the ignition on; whilst the wingle itself may be permanently on, the USB slot is not powered when the ignition is off so when you switch on the ignition, and the infotainment system starts up, part of its start up is to "read" the wingle when its connected - look at it like a PC, which powers up in a sequence to work properly and gives odd pop-up messages as it goes through its start up sequence.

Frankly it doesn't worry me at all, it's there for a couple of seconds at worst when you turn on the ignition, and is no worse than the "don't forget your mobile phone" pop-up that you get when you switch off the ignition and take the key out.

I'm not sure quite what you mean by it being a deal breaker, but if you have the wingle, you will get the pop-up, and no you can't get rid of the message if you have it connected - sorry.

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
@Hawkeye - I thought yours was an E5573B wireless wingle with a built in battery and which you only connected to the USB for charging. The E8372 as you know has no battery and no On/Off switch, so it is always on when the USB power is present. Mine has been plugged in constantly since I got it.

As for the USB socket power, I believe they get powered when you unlock the car and/or open the driver's door as I can see the power and connection led's on mine start to flash before I even put the key in the ignition.

This makes me think that a short delay between unlocking the car and turning on the ignition is all that is needed to avoid the message, as I usually unlock my car then put some things in the boot before getting in and driving off so I seldom see the message.

It certainly doesn't bother me or cause any loss of functionality and like you, I can't understand why it would be a deal breaker and is less obtrusive than other messages that appear when switching the ignition on or off.

·
Registered
1.5 TSI EVO R-Line Ravenna Blue/Black 2018 Manual
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @singh23 - I've have the same E8372 wingle with the free 200MB per month data SIM from Three . I've had it for nearly 3 years and I have seen that message but very, very rarely. The message disappears after a few seconds.

Your signature indicates your car is a 2018 R-Line (mine is 2019) which should mean that you have the Mib2 Infotainment and Sat Nav system with 2 SD card slots and a CD player in the glove compartment. I assume that you will have the Sat Nav map data on an SD card in one of the slots, but have you fitted a second card in the other slot with music files ?

Also, do you leave the wingle plugged in to one of the USB connectors below the heater and A/C controls ? Which of the 2 connectors do you use ? I'm just trying to build a picture of your setup compared to mine.
Exactly the set up you have described

I get the same message on mine, and I have my Huawei plugged into the LH USB slot under the infotainment unit. If I switch the Huawei off I don't get the message, it only appears when I switch the wingle on - but then having the wingle off kind of defeats the reason for putting one in there in the first place.

@singh23, you will always get this message for the simple reason that the system is initiating when you switch the ignition on; whilst the wingle itself may be permanently on, the USB slot is not powered when the ignition is off so when you switch on the ignition, and the infotainment system starts up, part of its start up is to "read" the wingle when its connected - look at it like a PC, which powers up in a sequence to work properly and gives odd pop-up messages as it goes through its start up sequence.

Frankly it doesn't worry me at all, it's there for a couple of seconds at worst when you turn on the ignition, and is no worse than the "don't forget your mobile phone" pop-up that you get when you switch off the ignition and take the key out.

I'm not sure quite what you mean by it being a deal breaker, but if you have the wingle, you will get the pop-up, and no you can't get rid of the message if you have it connected - sorry.
The problem is that my message popups up constantly whilst the car is on. It does not stop

·
Registered
187 Posts
Reactions: singh23
1 - 6 of 6 Posts