Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am a new T-Roc owner. My car is 1.5 TSI Automatic. The car gives instant (not linear) pull when i start giving gas. It's especially annoying in start stop traffic. I know it's because of the turbo. Is there is a way to overcome this ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nope, unless you fix your right foot. The accelerator is not that sensitive, a gentle tickle and it'll roll gently forward, especially as you have the DSG box.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Check that you are not using Sport driving mode and that the DSG selector is not in S rather than D (look at the gear indicator in the dash)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my new 1.5 TSI DSG that needed a gentle foot when pulling off and actually found it better in Sport mode. As I am not used to an automatic (after driving for 50 years in a manual) I suspect part of my problem is that I tend to lift off slightly when gear changes occur in the lower gears. I am now starting to get used to it now by being initally gentle and then keeping my foot down steady so it does not bother me now.

I would not think that turbo lag is a big issue on these cars as the turbo is small with little inertia so does not take long to wind up to speed. I drove a manual Audi A3 for 8 years, with the earlier Turbo 1.4 Cylinder on Demand version of VW 1.5 ACT engine fitted to the T-ROC, and I always found it very smooth.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. When the auto hold is ON it feels better. I will also try in sport mode.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I seem to recall that there are (3 ?) different settings for the throttle response but I can't recall if these are vailable through the standard settings menus or if it requires coding.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I seem to recall that there are (3 ?) different settings for the throttle response but I can't recall if these are vailable through the standard settings menus or if it requires coding.
There are 2 settings which can be alternated with diagnostics such as obdeleven, carista, vcds etc
Not sure if anyone with a T-Roc has tried it yet or how the DSG & manual gearbox would benifit if at all?

If you go over to the UK tiguan forum a few owners have tried it with differing opinions, mostly tried on DSG models.
Some like it, some don't & apparently the fuel economy goes down slightly 🤷‍♂️

Certainly be worth trying for a few weeks & easily reverted back if not liked 👌

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I think the default ignores small throttle pedal movements, as you say to improve fuel consumption, but this sometimes causes an unresponsive feeling and a lag before the engine will start to pull. The other setting is more like a traditional mechanical throttle linkage and gives near instant response.

Not sure why VW decided not to have this as an accessible option which could also be stored in personalised driver profiles, but my understanding is that if you flick the DSG shifter to D/S position and select S, then you get the more responsive throttle and I often do this when I need that faster response when pulling out at junctions etc., but you are more likely to get wheel spin which is why I suggested that as a possible reason for the OP.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2
1 - 8 of 8 Posts