Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Interior quality

19K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  mvk 
#1 ·
Though generally very positive, a recurring theme of many of the online reviews that I have read and watched is to complain about the quality of the interior. There are many references to hard and scratchy plastics and a general standard below those usually expected of a VW. I'm sure many or all of you are familiar with this theme. And so, I would be interested to know from those who are fortunate enough to have taken delivery, what is their experience? Do they agree with the reviews in this respect? for my part I don't think it is a major issue whether the dashboard is constructed of hard or soft plastic, but I would be concerned if this indicated a general drop in build quality or standard.

#2 ·
Although I'm still waiting for my car, I too was a little concerned until I saw/test drove one. My impression was not of cheapness at all but that the interior was smart. Okay there is no felt lining in the glove boxe or door bins, but is that so important? Just sit in one and see what you think....for reference I have a Mk7 Golf

#3 ·
"The dashboard is hard, scratchy plastic".
So when was the last time I touched my dashboard? Why would I? So long as it looks good is all that actually matters. Reviewers can make much of this, but in the real world it's unimportant. At least to me.

#4 ·
I agree, the interior looks good and has often been said how often are you touching the top of the dash or doors
I also had a mk7 Golf, a Gti and in the rear it was all hard scratchy plastics, no soft touch at all.
So to all potential buyers, don't worry about it, it's a lovely car to look at and drive.

#7 ·
Thank you all for your comments on my original post. All positive. All encouraging. I am becoming very impatient to greet my new car. The end of June seems a long way away, and still no news of a build week.

#8 ·
I previously had a Mk 7 golf gtd & was unimpressed by the amount of hard plastic in the t-roc cabin. Whilst I still think it's blatant & shameful cost cutting by VW which I would neither encourage nor condone, in real life terms you only ever touch the steering wheel & gearstick so rarely notice the cheaper materials unless touching the door cards whilst opening doors from inside etc. I was worried that the cheaper hard plastic dash would be more likely to rattle but so far I've been proven wrong. Overall I prefer the t-roc to my old golf ( which I loved).

#10 ·
Got ours on Thursday, very happy with it.... Other than the whole locking wheel nut debacle...

When we were watching the reviews.... my wife and I BOTH said "Who the f**k taps their dash?!?" :lol:

Then thought, does our Audi have a hard or soft dash?
Had to go outside and CHECK the A1 dash to see if it was hard or soft. (It was soft) but the fact that we didn't know kind of proves the point that it doesn't matter. :ugeek:

#11 ·
In all the years I have been driving cars and more recently in my Mark 6 Golf I have never ever rubbed the dashboard and said "Mmmm this feels good......leathery".

The Car Wow review made such a big deal of it.

#12 ·
Just got back from a 2 week holiday in Andalusia. The hire car I was given was a VW Caddy (I was expecting a Leon!).
Anyway, it was adequate and up to the job, but I can tell you this. After 2 weeks of driving it I have no idea if it used hard or soft plastics!

#13 ·
Well I rubbed the dash on my test drive yesterday but to be perfectly honest, if it hadn't been for all the reviews about it I'm not sure I would have noticed! It's no better or worse than my old 07 Astra but I've lived with that for 11 years!

#19 ·
Soft feel dashboards were brought about to help you if you had an accident, it meant that when you banged your head on the dash it didn't hurt as much.
My old astra a 60 plate had soft at the front, nearest to the passenger and hard further back. The soft looked a bit more expensive than the hard, so from that point of view that was better, but does that really matter that much?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.