Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to source a T-ROC locally that more or less met my requirements so delighted to be getting getting it within the week! :D

SE 1.5, white silver (eek?) with black roof, reversing camera and electric boot lid (a nice freebie).

Just sorting out insurance and they asked me if the black roof was 'wrapped'. I had presumed it was painted but under threat of my insurance being invalidated I thought I'd better check! Anyone know how I can verify this? I've dropped the dealer a note but wanted to check given the amount of incorrect information I've heard from dealers when doing my research :roll:

·
Registered
402 Posts
What on earth does "wrapped" mean? Like a vinyl roof? It's painted, most definitely.

·
Registered
120 Posts
On doing some searching-
'Wrapping' is a technique whereby a film is layered onto the surface to permanently, or temporarily, change the colour/texture/appearance of the surface. 3M provide such films.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer confirmed it's definitely painted too.

Thanks all.
Hi all,

I know I am writing on a very old post but I just bought a Ravenna Blue / Black version of VW T-Roc. I am living in Istanbul, Turkey.

I found out after an expertise analysis that the black roof is not a paint but a wrap. You can easily see this when you open the trunk and check the edge where the roof and side black rails meet the trunk opening. I am attaching some pics.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Fender

I wonder if you can also check the T-Rocs you have and inform me about the situation.

Thanks in advance and regards,

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wonder if you can also check the T-Rocs you have and inform me about the situation.
I don't even have to go out and check because I know mine looks the same & it's painted.
It must just be the way it's masked off to paint 👌😁😏

Had a second look at one of your photos in particular & looking at it I think yes yours has been wrapped but I'm not 100%
It looks as if you could press it and it would push in?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't even have to go out and check because I know mine looks the same & it's painted.
It must just be the way it's masked off to paint 👌😁😏

Had a second look at one of your photos in particular & looking at it I think yes yours has been wrapped but I'm not 100%
It looks as if you could press it and it would push in?
View attachment 3933
Yes there are some wrinkles on parts where there is a curve because material is collected. The finishing edge thickness is another hint that it is not paint. You can move your finger from blue to black surface and feel the thickness.

I do not know the case with your car or with the cars sold in your country but the T-Roc that I have and another test car (yellow-black) that I received photos of are the same and wrapped. A dealer also confirmed that all the two colored T-Rocs are wrapped in the roof.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes there are some wrinkles on parts where there is a curve because material is collected. The finishing edge thickness is another hint that it is not paint. You can move your finger from blue to black surface and feel the thickness.

I do not know the case with your car or with the cars sold in your country but the T-Roc that I have and another test car (yellow-black) that I received photos of are the same and wrapped. A dealer also confirmed that all the two colored T-Rocs are wrapped in the roof.
Definitely on mine it looks the same as yours except that one photo but I'd need to double check.
As I said earlier, mine looks as if it has been masked off with tape to be painted & has a level change between the blue and black as well.

Our resident volkswagen expert @Seal can shed some light on it for us 🤞🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just took photos of mine and I don't see much difference from yours.
I do think mine are painted though & as said the level difference is the masking tape 🤷‍♂️
Maybe yours is painted? Photos aren't detailed enough!
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Grille Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grille

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just ok photos of mine and I don't see much difference from yours.
I do think mine are painted though & as said the level difference is the masking tape 🤷‍♂️
Maybe yours is painted? Photos aren't detailed enough!
View attachment 3934
View attachment 3937
View attachment 3936
View attachment 3935
I'll try to get better photos and share them.

But as you mentioned your photos look quite the same. I believe the thickness differences on the lines where two colors meet are too much for paint. But @Seal may review our photos and comment on the issue. I'll try to post clear photos as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are some more and detailed photos of my car. Sorry for the dust : ) Photos are taken with flash because the environment was quite dark.

Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Grille Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper
Tire Hood Automotive tire Grille Vehicle

I hope this tells more about the situation of my car. There are no dramatic material overlaps and wrinkles but I still do believe that it is a wrap rather than a paint, as also approved in the expertise analysis.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think one thing we've established here is ours & everyone else's is done the same. 👌

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think one thing we've established here is ours & everyone else's is done the same. 👌
Yes, that is correct for sure :D

As long as it does not cause a problem in the long run it is ok whether it is a wrap or paint. The look is great anyway.

My only concerns are that a scratch or a tear may be difficult to fix, in time the wrap can get loose etc. But I never heard of such problems. Hope I will not hear any in the future as well :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts