Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys just brought a 1.5 tsi manual sel , just a quick question was the software update done as a recall or was it wait until someone complains then do it , mines kangaroo's in first with a cold engine and i presume if i contact vw it should be on the service record that its been done , as the car is 4 years old and if it hasn't been done would this softwware update be free .
thanks

Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
It was a case of the customer having to complain first.
I would guess its on the volkswagen system whether it was updated or not, ask them to check.

The only way they'll update it free is if you've bought it at a volkswagen dealership.
That's only my opinion.

Most T-roc's that had an update or more still had some kangaroo issues.

I had the update & still have the kangaroo, funnily enough mine is worse in warm weather.
I must point out my kangaroo issue was miner before the update & is still minor.
I can happily live with it 馃憖馃憣

Super Moderator
Hi @adey56 - sorry to hear you have a kangaroo problem.

I wouldn't expect VW to refuse to check your car and apply any outstanding software updates that relate to the kangaroo issue and do so free of charge. They publicly accepted (see Honest John) that there was a problem with the 1.5 tsi engine, but it only affected some cars. We never found out if VW actually knew which specific cars (ie VINs) were likely to have the issue and there was no recall.

If you bought your car from a VW dealer, then I suggest you start by having a word with their sales manager and the service manager and if that fails then ask to discuss with the general manager or dealership principal. If you get nowhere with the dealer, then I suggest you take this up with VW UK customer service.

Hopefully that should at least get confirmation, without charge, of whether or not your car has had all the updates applied and then you can have any necessary discussions on how any outstanding updates should be dealt with.

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on. There are members of the forum who have extensive knowledge of consumer rights who may be able to assist/advise if you don't get satisfaction through my suggestions above.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

Registered
The car is now 4 years old and no doubt has a commensurate mileage. Who is to say the problem is actually down to the software?
You first need to determine exactly where the issue stems from.

Speak with a VW dealer and go from there.

Super Moderator
At this point @adey56 is simply asking 'what if' and he is surely entitled to know the service history of the car, such as was it previously reported and investigated for the kangaroo issue and what service actions if any were applied or are outstanding.

VW spent between 2 and 3 years, first denying there was a problem then investigating it, but never came close to determining where the kangaroo issue stemmed from or how to fix it, so I for one would have little confidence that they would do any better now with @adey56's car.There was (and probably still is) no definitive diagnostic test to say 'yes it is the same kangaroo issue' .

As the saying goes, if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. So by all means they can check the car and run diagnostics, but it is reasonable that examination of the service history should be the starting point given that kangarooing was a known and accepted problem despite not having a fix. Probably lots of cars have been sold on to unsuspecting buyers while still having the problem.

Super Moderator
Exactly ... Tell them about your problem and that you are aware there was a known kangaroo issue on 1.5 tsi cars built up to 2020 so you would like to know if your car could be one of those. My posts above should give you some idea of what to ask regarding service history etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the reply guys , first port of call is to discuss with main dealer and take it from there ,apart from this issue the car is great having owned a 2.0 tdi dsg r line before i'm quite impressed with it so far done 320 miles today and averaged 48mpg mixtures of a roads ,motorway and a bit of stop/start

1 - 8 of 8 Posts