Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated the software on my Mib2 infotainment system yesterday to the last update available .
(Went from 0867 to 0879)
I found out volkswagens software versions are out of sequence for some reason, there's actually an 0891 version but it's not the latest.

I can't say there'll be any improvement on my Mib2 but you'd think there should be some benifits 馃

It's easily done but you need a diagnostic tool to do a "confirmation of installation change" after the update.
It still runs OK without the diagnostic tool change but you'll have a fault code show if a diagnostic scan is done.
Mesh Rectangle Font Grille Tints and shades
Font Display device Multimedia Screenshot Gadget
Font Rectangle Technology Electronic device Gas

Attachments

Reactions: twist

Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
I do wonder if this fixes the audio issue I have with CarPlay but I also doubt it as that bug has been present for years through all the models.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do wonder if this fixes the audio issue I have with CarPlay but I also doubt it as that bug has been present for years through all the models.
What bug would that be 馃悶馃

What software version are you on at present? 馃巵馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Updated the software on my Mib2 infotainment system yesterday to the last update available .
(Went from 0867 to 0879)
I found out volkswagens software versions are out of sequence for some reason, there's actually an 0891 version but it's not the latest.

I can't say there'll be any improvement on my Mib2 but you'd think there should be some benifits 馃

It's easily done but you need a diagnostic tool to do a "confirmation of installation change" after the update.
It still runs OK without the diagnostic tool change but you'll have a fault code show if a diagnostic scan is done.
I have some comments and questions ... as you might expect 馃榿

Firstly, the numbers 0867, 0879 and 0891 are actually version numbers of the Infotainment head unit software.

The map data version number is listed under 'Navigation database', so your map data is now version 1810 and the database is ECE1 2022/23 which is the 'Europe - Bundle 2' (Andorra, Belgium, France, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain) on the VW map updates web site (Default Title).

Normally, the map data is updated on its own by downloading a 7-Zip compressed file from the above web site and then unpacking this either directly to your SD card or to a PC or laptop and then copying the data to your SD card. Doing it this way never results in a need for a diagnostic tool to do a "confirmation of installation change" and never produces a fault code. In fact it is documented by VW as the method for owners updating map data.

Looking at your screen shots suggests that you have used the in-car system version information menu and done an online update of the entire Infotainment system, hence the reason for your 'software version' changing from 0867 to 0879 and this is the reason for needing the diagnostic tool to clear the fault code. I suspect that you had to use your mobile phone or a mobile wi-fi dongle to provide an internet connection for the download as I don't think the Mib2 can use the VW e-SIM.

Personally, I would never update my map data in that way for at least 3 reasons;

Firstly, I suspect it takes much longer to download the data directly to the car compared to a fibre broadband connection to a PC or laptop.

Secondly, it updates the entire head unit which may not be a good idea - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thirdly, there is no way to backup and restore the system software if anything goes wrong. Of course you could remove the SD card and make a backup copy of the map data before you do the full system update so that you could at least revert to the original map data by copying the backup to the SD card.

If you update the map data using the recommended method via the SD card, you can start by saving a backup copy of the current data before installing the update. You can do this manually or use the VW Discover Care tool.

I always do mine manually to give me full control and I always keep the previous version of the map data 7-Zip file so that I can reinstall it if there are any issues with the new map data.

For info, I have installed the latest full European data set (Europe - Bundle 1) which covers the whole of Europe but requires a 32GB SD card. The navigation database version info for this is;

5NA919866CA (Note, the CA suffix is for Bundle 1, whereas your BS suffix is for Bundle 2)
ECE AS 22/23

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I updated the mib2 software deliberately with an SD card via the hold the menu button in method, taking me to a different menu (as you know 馃憣)

The map update was done back in November via the usual SD card method.

Yes the, if it ain't broke don't fix it method is what I should have done but I'm forever Poking around with my cars coding & software updating etc I can't help it 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

After the update, the only thing I had to do was renew my radio station logos they were blank.
All previous settings remained the same 馃憣

The inter-Web has every single software version file available for the MIB2 at our finger tips.

Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
What bug would that be 馃悶馃

What software version are you on at present? 馃巵馃し鈥嶁檪锔
Around 60% of the times I start up the car and plug in the iPhone, one of the audio streams (the one for music) does not work. The second (for Siri, the voice assistant) works fine.

Basically you ask Siri something through the car鈥檚 microphone and she responds fine through the car speakers. Everything seems fine. But then you try to play Apple Music, Spotify - an app basically - and the infotainment system shows a 鈥渮ero volume鈥 icon and if you try to increase the volume, the icon just flashes as if to say 鈥淚 can鈥檛 increase the volume鈥. Music will play but you can鈥檛 hear it.

The only way to make it work is to either unplug/replug the cable (which doesn鈥檛 always work!) or tap the Radio button on the infotainment system to get the car鈥檚 built-in radio to come through the speakers and then tap 鈥渁pp鈥 to go back to CarPlay. Then music will play.

It鈥檚 very frustrating. I鈥檝e posted this elsewhere and had people in the US with various VW models confirm they have it too so it鈥檚 not regional or specific to the T-Roc. Supposedly Audi cars have the bug too.

I suspect it鈥檚 some sort of race-condition bug where CarPlay advertises an available audio stream but the car isn鈥檛 ready for it or just ignores it - I don鈥檛 know. I just wish they鈥檇 fix it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only way to make it work is to either unplug/replug the cable (which doesn鈥檛 always work!) or tap the Radio button on the infotainment system to get the car鈥檚 built-in radio to come through the speakers and then tap 鈥渁pp鈥 to go back to CarPlay. Then music will play.
Having to plug it in & unplug it every time would be enough to annoy me never mind the sound bug.
Not good for the phone power socket either 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Funnily enough my huawei phone doesn't even connect with AndroidAuto never mind anything else.
Haven't tried it since the update though but I'm guessing there'll be no change but I must try it 馃

Reactions: twist

Registered
I updated the mib2 software deliberately with an SD card via the hold the menu button in method, taking me to a different menu (as you know 馃憣)
So where/how did you download the new software on to the SD card ? Any details on the web URL for the available software (not the one for the maps)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So where/how did you download the new software on to the SD card ? Any details on the web URL for the available software (not the one for the maps)
It's very similar to the map update, you just have to make sure you use the correct files for your infotainment system 馃憣
All the info & more 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
It's wonderful what you can do now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funnily enough my huawei phone doesn't even connect with AndroidAuto never mind anything else.
Haven't tried it since the update though but I'm guessing there'll be no change but I must try it 馃
My huawei mobile phone AndroidAuto app now connects to my infotainment system.
Can't be certain if it's because I done a software update or if its just coincidental 馃馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
My huawei mobile phone AndroidAuto app now connects to my infotainment system.
Can't be certain if it's because I done a software update or if its just coincidental 馃馃し鈥嶁檪锔
More likely the Chinese's Communist Party wanting to know more about you through your use of their Huawai products than any systems update.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More likely the Chinese's Communist Party wanting to know more about you through your use of their Huawai products than any systems update.
It's seriously the best phone I've ever had 馃槈
All this hype started in the USA.
Why?
Because huawei were a threat to Apple global sales & telecommunications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts