Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Had the TRoc for 6 weeks and I did 1300 K miles so far. Acording to the car it's doing 45MPG long term. I fill it it brim to brim and calculated that it's only actually doing 35MPG. Anyone else noticed this and made their own calculations and it's not matching the car readings??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
234 Posts
They never match what is actual MPG Fill up to Fillup, Full to Full. I looked at mine and the car reported 39 MPG, but my method said 34 MPG.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fill it up to full. Divide the litres of fuel by 4.5 to convert to gallons and then divide the miles I done from the last fill up by the gallons. I know it's not accurate but gives me a close idea of the fuel consumption. I'm not expecting to get the figures in the book but it's very misleading when the car is telling me that it's doing 10 miles more per gallon. I expected this engine to do better than 35 MPG.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Clearly all down to how the car is driven. Only had mine a week but filling each time I am doing 42 mpg, local and A road driving. Dash telling me I'm doing over 50 on the A road work and 36 around town. Averages out I guess.
All in all this is what I expected. As previously reported on this form Honest Johns true Mpg forum shows owners generally getting 47 from their one litre T Rocs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow 48mpg, that's really good! Is that motorway or mixed driving? Mine is nowhere near your MPG!

·
Registered
402 Posts
My commute, which contributes most of my driving, is 10 miles of dual carriageway at 60ish mph with 2 miles of urban (but not stop/start) at the end. It's a good run. I usually get 53 mpg for the run in and 46 for the return (it's more congested coming back, bit of stop/start in traffic). I used to get 65mpg in my previous car!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure how some of you are getting 40 and 50 + MPG. I am still getting 34/35MPG the most and shows 40 on the computer,,, GGRRR!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have completed 1500 miles in my one litre SE. My work keeps me local as a rule but have visited relatives in Hampshire and Dorset from my home in Norfolk. I record each fill and the milage. Locally I am returning 40 to 42 to the gallon. On the longer journey the three fills showed 53, 49 and 51. Cruise control at 68 most of the time. Generally I am pleased.
Bugsy

·
Registered
402 Posts
Going in for its first service next week (10k miles). Showing 47mpg for "lifetime" average (on computer - I've never done a manual reading). I don't spend much time stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why do such tiny engines guzzle so much fuel? My 2 litre TDI does mid forties in the winter pushes fifties in the summer.
That's calculated on full to full tanks by the way, computer usually "improves" the economy roughly 10%.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Because they have to rev their little hearts out in order to get any power output. More revs per minute more little explosions per minute more fuel usage and greater use of lower gearage for longer to get along. Simples :eek:

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you have good consumption you've probably sacrificed performance .. you can't have it all.
I bought a Renault Grand Scenic 1.4 TCe back in 2007 .. it was billed as 'Frugal' with the power delivery of a diesel and the consumption of a small petrol unit ... in reality ,it went ok so long as you revved it to 6500-7000 rpm but who wants to do that all of the time? Manufacturers mpg figures were 50+ but in all the time I had it (4years) the on-board computer never showed more than 33mpg (Rural & Urban)!
my current Meganne Sportback 1.5 diesel gives me 40mpg around town and 58 mpg on the motorway .. don't think my 'soon to be' (pleeeeease) 1.5 Troc will give upper 50's but I'm still looking forward to it

·
Registered
402 Posts
brid said:
Because they have to rev their little hearts out
Only if you feel the need to thrash it. It cruises at 70 at just over 2k revs, whisper quiet, lovely & smooth and nicely economical. It does rev lovely up to 7500, the highest red-line of any car I've owned, sounds quite nice at those revs too. Rarely do it though, rarely any need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts