Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to diesel cars, having always had petrol golfs. Picked my new TDI T-roc on Saturday and I've noticed the engine fan keeps running when I turn off the engine. There is also a strong sooty like smell. It only has 70 miles on the clock.
Should I take it back to the dealership??
Also what are people's experiences with Adblue, as none of this was explained to me by dealership (Lookers). :oops:

·
Registered
985 Posts
It's not unusual on cars these days for the fan to run on for a short while when the engine is switched off (it's been a 'feature' of the 3 Audi's I've had to date), so I don't think you have a problem, it's normal. As for the sooty smell. Welcome to diesels - but if this persists then have a word with the dealer. Given you've only done 70 miles to date, you are probably still getting a number of new car/engine smells which will go after a few hundred miles. But if in doubt, do speak with your dealer.

Adblue is needed these days to reduce emissions on diesel cars. I have no personal experience, but you will need to have your Adblue tank topped up on occasion (the handbook may suggest how frequently).

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can buy the adblu in places like Halfords.
Some petrol stations have also started it on their pumps.
You can top it up yourself but make sure you wash it off straight away if you get it on your paintwork. (Saves paying for your dealer to do it although my dealer did it free of charge when I had mine.
It's always worth keeping a spare bottle in the boot because if the tank empties the car will not start and the adblu readout on the Tig could be a bit unreliable as far as reading when you need to top up and also your meant to get a certain amount of mileage when in fact you were finding it less than stated in the handbook.
.I'm not sure what it would be like on the Roc but I guess they would use the same sensor.
The fan going when you stop is to help with the regen burning off any soot which is why you can smell it.
Various posts on adblu
https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/search.php?keywords=Adblu
Various posts on fan just stick in fan going when stopped and such like in the search bar over there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi annie_d,

I currently have a Golf 1.6 Diesel on loan while waiting for my Troc to arrive. Right from day one I noticed the fan runs on for about 5 mins after completing a short run. I read somewhere that this is normal practice for VW diesels ... apparently it has something to do with keeping the filters clean... not sure how that works but I think the issue is well known and regarded as normal. Your dealer should be able to advise.

cheers

Ianchelt

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like it's trying to do a dpf regeneration. My diesel Passat did one after only 20 miles - was told at the time that the 'computer' initiates a regen soon in life. Don't know why but do know of others that had the same. Take it for a 20 minute run to let it complete, then it'll be a happy little T-Roc (until the next one 😕).

·
Registered
24 Posts
ive got a 1.4tdi polo at the minute, my fan regularly runs when the engine is off, can be exceptionally loud too, Volkswagen seem to think there isn't a issue with it and just shrugged it off when I asked them to check it during a service, still doing it now 3 yeats into my lease. hasn't lead to any other issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very normal and common behaviour on a diesel after short trips and even more common in cold weather.
The ECU measures the amount of sooth in the particle filter and if levels gets too high and the particle filter doesn't get warm enough during normal driving, then the car will use/burn diesel to get high enough temperature to burn the particles in the filter - this often smells like burned rubber or similar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have bought a used T-Roc 1.6 TDI a month back run around 13k km from authorized dealer. During the test drive i did not see any problems but after a week, on a normal weather day, I drove for 5 minutes to a nearby market and came back and had the issue of fan running. The sound is so loud that I first thought I did not switch off the engine. I stood beside the car for 3-4 minutes and then the fan stopped by itself. It dosent happen all the time. But kind of scared me. I've read that its common in diesel cars. Is there a solution for this?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't worry it will happen from time to time as it burns out soot from the dpf.
Usually smells a bit as well whilst it's happening. Normally does it whilst driving so you don't really notice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.