Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tyre loss indicator warning came up for the rear near side tyre on Friday. Pulled over and discovered this wee bugger through the wall. Obviously can’t be repaired so I’m getting a new tyre but what’s concerned me is the extent the walls appear to be cracking/crazing. On a 2 year old car that’s not even clocked 10k yet? This seems abnormal. What do you think?

I vaguely remember @Vernerbongo2 had a similar issue far sooner than he expected.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Ouch !

I've seen a few photos on the forum showing tyres with cracking like that, and a lot worse than yours. I think it has been dismissed (by whom ?) as not a problem.

I think it might be worse with the 40 profile tyres on the 19" rims and might be due to the sheering stress when steering with shallow and therefore stiffer sidewalls along with a wide and 'flat' tyre to road contact. I'd image the twisting forces on the tyre would be quite high, especially when manoeuvring at low speed.

No doubt someone with 17 or 18" rims and 45 profile tyres will prove me wrong :unsure:

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
@twist I had no joy with my tyres when I complained directly to bridgestone & my tyres were perished much more than yours.
This was bridgestones response.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021, 11:21 pm Bridgestone Support, <[email protected]> wrote:
Thank you for the detailed close up photographs of the Bridgestone tyres fitted to your car.

Concerning the ‘cracking’ in the tyre shoulder grooves; this we have seen many times in the past (across many products, and most brands) where the top layer of surface rubber begins to oxidise and appears perished. We refer to this as ‘crazing’, as ‘cracking’ generally relates to splitting after force or trauma during operation.

The visible surface rubber crazing on your tyres is very minor and will pose no detriment to the vehicles safety of tyres performance.

It is worth noting that as part of tyre manufacturers’ compliance to environmental responsibility legislation, there are increased restrictions on the materials used in tyre construction.

‘Crazing’ can also be caused by other
factors:
• Extended exposure to sunlight. (UV light dries out the anti-aging oils in the rubber which give a tyre it’s tackiness and elasticity).
• The application of ‘Tyre Dressing’. - Used by dealer forecourts and carwash companies mainly to make the sidewalls/shoulders of the tyres look ‘more black’. These can be quite strong and some are even mildly corrosive if used consistently over time.
• Poor pressure maintenance during the tyre’s life. This causes over flexing in the tyre casing eventually causing tyres to prematurely age.
• Exposure to contaminates. - Petrol, anti-freeze, motor oil, tyre ‘dressing’ (used on the sidewalls to appear more “black”).
• Regular, but short frequent trips in the vehicle (lack of use), where the tyres are heating up, then cooling down over a short period of time. (essentially preventing the aforementioned oils from percolating/migrating throughout the tyre fully). We add anti-aging oils into the rubber compound, however for these oils to be released the tyres need to get to an operating temperature. If the tyres are not used regularly then the releasing agents in the anti-aging oils are unable to percolate through the casing and ensure the tyre stays subtle.

The upside to this phenomenon is that ‘crazing’ only affects the top cap layer of rubber, so is only cosmetic in nature. - This type of appearance does not have any effect on the tyres handling or performance, and based on the appearance in the image provided we would advise that these tyres are ok to continue running. However as with any appearance-based condition reported in the market, we always advise to monitor the tyres regularly.

Please note that we take safety very seriously and we would never recommend you to continue using tyres that we thought were unsafe to use.
In their current conditions the tyres will not cause any detriment to the tyres serviceability or affect the cars dynamic performance abilities. If the tyres are well serviced and the correct tyre pressure is maintained the tyres will continue to provide an excellent service life.

We hope this info has helped, please let us know if there is any more info you require on this subject to assist with your enquiry.

They say there safe but I reckon mine wouldn't go through the UK's Mot system.
My mother's micra Bridgestone are going the same way.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. So we think this might be more common with Bridgestone tyres then?

I have Kwikfit coming this morning to fit a full set of Mitchy Cross Climate 2s. I know the other 3 tyres don’t really need replaced yet but I’ve been unhappy with their performance overall and was planning to get a set of MCC2 for next winter anyway - I don’t see the point buying a single Bridgestone tyre only to buy 4 new tyres in 6 months anyway. I will hopefully have a better time with the cross climates. They seem to receive all-round excellent reviews. I hope they last longer.

That response from Bridgestone seems very poor. I would have thought any splitting of the rubber - regardless of it being only the top layer would be bad because the stresses on the rubber from driving would surely cause the splits to get worse. I can’t see how they can claim it’s purely cosmetic.

I’m going to ask the Kwikfit guys if they see this often and if it’s common of certain brands.

Are yours about 3 years old now @Vernerbongo2 ??

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
To be honest I've had different brands on my previous cars and they perished as well, I don't do many miles.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Tyre loss indicator warning came up for the rear near side tyre on Friday. Pulled over and discovered this wee bugger through the wall. Obviously can’t be repaired so I’m getting a new tyre but what’s concerned me is the extent the walls appear to be cracking/crazing. On a 2 year old car that’s not even clocked 10k yet? This seems abnormal. What do you think?

I vaguely remember @Vernerbongo2 had a similar issue far sooner than he expected.

View attachment 4158
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, always seems to happen on the near side right tyre picking up nails with me, I’ve been fairly lucky with my Bridgestone tyres, the front ones have covered over 23k, there is some cracking on my rear tyres. I am due to replace the front tyres this year, but not sure if I’ll change manufacturers as the fronts have lasted well. It seems Bridgestone like to cover their backs like most manufacturers with terms like crazing, I have never used tyre dressing as I always wash my car and check tyre pressures, if that was the case all tyres regardless of make would have serious cracking, which they don’t. There are a couple of companies which still do vulcanised rubber repairs, but with safety in mind I would take the hit and buy a new one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Let us all know how you get on with the Michelin Crossclimates. I put a set of Goodyear Vector all seasons on my Yeti and was astonished by the reduction in road noise and increased comfort of the ride. Didn’t notice any difference in roadholding compared with the previous tyres - but then I am not a hot rod driver. Fast but smooth is my style.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Be careful if you use tyre dressing as most of them are petro chemical. And cause plastics and rubber to deteriorate. Which I find amazing as they sell the products to put on plastics and rubber.
The only tyre dressing I will use is Airosoace 302 as it’s safe to use on rubber and will not cause cracking.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be careful if you use tyre dressing as most of them are petro chemical. And cause plastics and rubber to deteriorate. Which I find amazing as they sell the products to put on plastics and rubber.
The only tyre dressing I will use is Airosoace 302 as it’s safe to use on rubber and will not cause cracking.
Got a link for that stuff? I don’t think I’ve found the right product as it’s listed as “protectant” and not “dressing”.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is the stuff. I like it because it’s safe to use. It’s not overly shiny which I preferrer.
It’s got a uv protector in it as well it’s excellent stuff
Liquid Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle Water

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
@twist my tyres are 3.5 years old but I'd say they showed cracking signs at 2 years.

I wouldn't put that sort of money into a set of tyres.
I stuck x2 imperial all seasons on the front of mine a few months ago and they seem alright at £80 each.
They have exactly the same ratings as the Michelin Cross climates.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@twist my tyres are 3.5 years old but I'd say they showed cracking signs at 2 years.

I wouldn't put that sort of money into a set of tyres.
I stuck x2 imperial all seasons on the front of mine a few months ago and they seem alright at £80 each.
They have exactly the same ratings as the Michelin Cross climates.
View attachment 4161
Too late, my wallet was emptied today haha. I’ll keep this in mind for when I have to replace them in another 2 years 🤣 just kidding, these better last me a long damn time.

• Haha
Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Well just to throw into the fray, still on my original Bridgestones on my 2.0 TSi R-Line, car has now covered just over 20k miles, still still have 4mm of tread (even though it gets driven "reasonably sportily" by me - maybe not so Mrs Hawkeye LOL) and no sign of cracking at all. Car is not garaged, but is under a carport, out of direct sunlight.

Now - here's the interesting thing I've noticed. Before retiring and when we had 2 cars, the wife's car was always under the carport, whereas mine lived on the drive. What I found during our years of ownership was that I had to replace things like wiper blades at almost twice the rate that I replaced the wife's even though we did similar mileage. Also the tyres on my car starting showing slight cracking after 2.5 years. I'm pretty sure that if a car is left outside to the elements, then the elements do take their toll - in fact my next door neighbour (who had a set of tyres fitted to his Mazda SUV 2 years ago), has just had to have his complete set of tyres replaced - even though he's done damn all mileage - after 2 years for exactly the reason that @twist has, that strange crazing/cracking on the outer edges - and his lives outside all the time.

Its quite surprising how much the elements can actually affect rubber and other components.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let us all know how you get on with the Michelin Crossclimates. I put a set of Goodyear Vector all seasons on my Yeti and was astonished by the reduction in road noise and increased comfort of the ride. Didn’t notice any difference in roadholding compared with the previous tyres - but then I am not a hot rod driver. Fast but smooth is my style.
Although I’ve only driven on the Cross Climate’s for a little over an hour, there was a noticeable difference in road holding and comfort. Could just be because they’re new and new tyres always feel better but I genuinely felt the ride was a bit softer even though the rubber is supposedly tougher. Car felt better planted and at 2 turns where I often used to get wheel spin even in the dry, there was no sign of it at all - the car was on rails. I’ll need to repeat this a few times to be sure but so far I like them.

Not sure about noise yet but I’ll get up and down the motorway this week and see what I think. However, they made a really weird “wet squelch” noise initially and I actually pulled over as it sounded like I had a flat or there was a sticker still on them but nope, just a weird noise for a few hundred meters and then they settled down. Maybe some sort of preservative coating for while they’re on the rack and it was sticking to the road?

Anyway I’ll post again once I’ve had some more time with them.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
Too late, my wallet was emptied today haha. I’ll keep this in mind for when I have to replace them in another 2 years 🤣 just kidding, these better last me a long damn time.
9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for anyway, I'm just miserable 👌
Should be a great tyre especially when we get snow. 😉

One thing I did notice is, the bridgestones wet grip is rated A as apposed to B on our tyres.
(ratings:Bridgestone A/C/70db vs ours B/C/71db)

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Its quite surprising how much the elements can actually affect rubber and other components.
So anyone who tries a warranty claim for tyres will be told "Sorry, but you have been driving on these tyres and exposing them to rain/sun (take your pick) and that invalidates the warranty."

• Love

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting what Hawkeye mentioned that his car was under cover and original Bridgestone tyres had covered over 20k, my front tyres have covered 23k+ and just coming up for replacement now, the car is garaged at night. The rear tyres have performed reasonably well over the last two years for low profile rubber, as the rears have plenty of tread I’ll probably stick another two Bridgestones on the front, but I would not be happy if they had serious cracking at 10k.
Interesting to know if any other members keep there cars under cover and have 19” Bridgestone tyres fitted with details on the condition of the tyres/mileage.

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Well my Bridgestone's are coming up for 3 years old in May, have done 11k + and my car is kept on the driveway. Also, I use my car almost every day but my journeys are only about 3 miles each way.

I'm pleased to say that my tyres have no cracking but I doubt very much if they will last to 20k miles.

·
Registered
T-Roc Sport 1.5 TSI 2021 MGB6
59 Posts
Hello,

This morning, coming back from swimmingpool, I got the warning : pressure lost on rear right wheel.

I managed to come back to home by checking the status of the tyre several times.
But at home, after lunch the tyre was really flat...
So I changed the wheel and found a nice screw in the tire...🤢

I changed the wheel planning to bring the tire to my local garage tomorrow...
But when I was finished, my neighbour came back and told me he has a repair kit.
So we repaired the tyre... and I mount it back on the T-Roc.

I will purchase such a kit... which seams to be Cheap and easy to use...

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
@PatDuch54 I thought of purchasing one of those puncture repair kits but it's not really a proper repair when you compare it to a correct repair 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 37 Posts