Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of "Destinations" entered into the Sat Nav system.
There are a lot of these that I no longer require but on the other hand there are quite a lot I would like to retain.
After trying to find a way to "delete" an entry at first glance it would seem that you have to delete the whole groups at once using the manage memory control.
I don't know if most people use the favorite or route sections to store destinations but I do not. This would then delete only whole sections rather than all data.
I was surprised that there did not appear to be a section where you could erase a single entry and after half an hour of trying this that and the other I came across a dialog box which gave the option to "EDIT". On selecting this the box it passed to another box which gave you the option to delete that entry.
Sorry to state that I have not been able to replicate this action and wondered if anyone had indeed solved the "DELETE A SINGLE ENTRY" puzzle,

Have searched the manual for the word edit and nowhere does it appear to show how this can be achieved or even relate to this "edit box" I came across by accident.
Over to you "Tech" persons hopefully for a result. :D

·
Registered
988 Posts
How did you add the destinations brid? If you did it through WeConnect, you delete the destinations using the WeConnect app and then Synchronise (On iOS, Open WeConnect App, scroll down to "My Destinations" and press on that, you'll then see the word "edit" towards top right , press that, delete the destinations you no longer want, then press the Synchronise button).

How the heck you do it on the Infotainment system I don't know, I've been wondering that as well, as under Manage Memory you only seem to be able to delete everything or nothing. I must have a look at Edit Address again, as I know once you have entered up a destination, under Edit, you can add it to Favourites, maybe there you can delete it as well (but the boss has the car at present so I can't try it out - will do so later).

Update: Just reading the manual, it would seem that if you have all your entries showing if, instead of just touching the entry you want to change, you touch and hold it, it gives you some options. I wonder......I'll try this later when the wife returns with the car, maybe that's where you can edit, delete and add favourites.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hawkeye said:
Update: Just reading the manual, it would seem that if you have all your entries showing if, instead of just touching the entry you want to change, you touch and hold it, it gives you some options. I wonder......I'll try this later when the wife returns with the car, maybe that's where you can edit, delete and add favourites.
I just enter the destinations using the First option on the Left, "Enter new Destination before starting navigation."
In the manual (online version) with reference to option 2 ( 2nd from left) there is a symbol in the My destinations section which is a flag with a "man". This states that the button opens a list of different functions.
Cannot find this symbol.
Maybe the on-line version is not as good as the printed word or I need a newer version which then needs someone to rip it off using a new Vin number and placing it online. Spanish plates and Vins just don't cut it !!!! :(
I think this problem will need some sarnies and a flask with which to contemplate :lol:

·
Registered
988 Posts
So the wife just returned and tried holding the entry down - makes no difference. I've looked in the manual as well and can't find anything.

The "man with a flag" you mention @brid - that's on my screen when you select Nav and then put your hand close to the screen and is the button you press to select Destinations, Last destinations etc.

Where I got the idea from was in another thread ( https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1174&p=11750&hilit=favourites#p11726 ) Rumpletweezer mentions about editing an address. Buggered if I can find that either. And like you also @brid, I can't find this man with a flag - which is probably where these options are.

Hopefully someone will know (frustrating as generally I can find my way through these sort of things)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know if this information might help with the single destination deletion, I found it on another UK forum for Volkswagens. The system referred to is Discover Navigation as fitted to the T-Roc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
This is another area where VW developers are inconsistent and the manuals are totally void of details. Trial and error gets you there if you can persevere and remember all the steps. Anyway, here are the things I've discovered;

As Hawkeye implied, things work differently depending on how you first created/entered the destination. Hawkeye has described how to edit downloaded/online destinations, so I'll focus on some of the others.

Before describing how to delete single or multiple destinations, it is useful to understand how the Sat Nav user data is organised. With the map displayed on the Infotainment screen, touch the Settings icon at the right of the bottom menu bar, and select 'Manage memory' then 'Delete user data' where you will find a list showing 'Last destinations', 'Destination memory', 'Online destinations', 'Routes' etc.

Gadget Camera Font Digital camera Reflex camera

As you have already discovered, selecting one or more of these groups and then tapping 'Delete' will delete all entries in the selected groups. Just cancel and exit out of Settings and back to the Sat Nav map.

Before deleting anything, you probably want to review your destinations, and determine the group(s) where they are stored.

Tap 'My dests' on the bottom menu bar and you will see a pop-up of options which includes Routes, Destinations and Last destinations etc.

Gadget Font Audio equipment Communication Device Camera accessory

Start at the top and select Routes. This will either bring up a list of stored Routes or a message saying there are no Routes stored. I've stored a couple of samples for the screen shot. To delete a single 'route', touch/select the entry to open a pop-up menu bar which appears below the entry and contains Delete, Edit and Start (guidance) buttons.

Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Automotive design Motor vehicle

Cancel/return back to the map and tap 'My dests' again and select the next item, Destintions.

The first thing to note here is the presence of a box and drop-down button to the right of the Destinations title at the top of the screen. The drop-down list has options to select Dest. memory, Favourites, Contacts and Online Dests.

Font Audio equipment Electronic device Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory
Font Screenshot Gas Multimedia Auto part

My screen shot was grabbed with Online Dests selected, but start at the top again and select Dest. memory and the displayed list of destinations will update itself. Don't be surprised to find no entries though. Use the drop-down again to select each of the other options in turn. If you haven't downloaded any destinations from the WeConnect or Car Net or whatever VW call it this week, or defined any destinations as a Favourite or a Contact, then each of these categories will most likely have no entries. Confusing isn't it, especially when you know you have a lot of stored destinations. Note: Last Destinations is not one of the options.

To delete a single destination in one of these groups, first select the group from the drop-down list, locate the destination and tap the chevron [>] to the right of the entry.

Gadget Communication Device Audio equipment Display device Font

This opens the destination detail panel with Edit, Options and Start (guidance) buttons.
(Note: Options is only for adjusting the various route options as found in settings.)

Font Map Display device Auto part Electronic device

Tap Edit to open another panel which contains a Delete button.
(Note: There is also a tick box to make this destination a Favourite.)

Gadget Font Auto part Electronic device Display device

We are getting there slowly, so Cancel/Return back to the map and tap 'My dests' once more and this time select Last Destintions.

When you add a new destination via the Infotainment system, the Sat Nav stores it in 'Last destinations' so this is the most likely place where you will find all of your stored destinations. Now, the problem as you have discovered is that you cannot edit/delete a single destination from this list. Selecting an item will simply calculate the route and there is no Edit/Delete function as described above.

However, there is a work around solution which involves identifying the destinations you want to keep and copying them from 'Last Destinations' to the 'Destinations' group. Note: this process creates a copy of the destination and the original (now duplicate) remains in Last Destinations.

Once you have copied all the ones you want to keep, then you can use the 'Manage memory' option in Settings to delete all the entries in 'Last destinations'. Be sure to select only 'Last Destinations' when deleting user data.

This is a chore, but as far as I can see it is the only way to prune Last Destinations. Here's how to do it ...

Tap 'My dests' on the bottom menu bar and select Last Destinations. Scroll through the list of destinations and tap the chevron to the right of the entry (eg NEC, Birmingham in the screen shot).

Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle audio Auto part

A destination info panel will appear, with Store, Call and Start (guidance) buttons.

Font Gadget Rectangle Display device Map

Select Store and follow the prompts to confirm, renaming the destination if desired.

Finally, go back to 'My Dests' and select Destintions. Make sure Dest. Memory is selected in the drop-down and then confirm that a copy of the chosen destination has been added.

Apologies for the length of this post, and for the poor quality of some of the screen shots which were taken in the dark and were too bright for the camera.

Attachments

Reactions: Seal

·
Registered
988 Posts
@Impala - you are a hero, thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for that, especially for highlighting with screen shots to aid comprehension. I'll be printing all that out and updating my Sat Nav in the morning (good job its the weekend)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Thanks Hawkeye.

What a pity VW can't do this and include proper instructions in their manuals. I have both car and Infotainment manuals, plus others for Car Net, and none of this gets a mention.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Impala said:
Thanks Hawkeye.

What a pity VW can't do this and include proper instructions in their manuals. I have both car and Infotainment manuals, plus others for Car Net, and none of this gets a mention.
I agree - following your superb instructions I have just set all my contacts up as needed in both Favourites and/or destination memory, got rid of Flagged Destinations and basically cleaned it all up.

One other thing I have found with the Sat Nav is that in Destination Entry, if you set it so that the system tries to sort the address out as you type, it doesn't always find it, however if you change the selection for destination input so you do the longer input version - town, street, number etc it does. I can live with this now I know it does it, but have to say in the past I've been bemused that it didn't always work (although if you just entered the post code it did). Ho hum.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
A web browser is a good analogy, where Last Destinations is equivalent to the browser history and remembers everywhere you've visited, while Destinations/Favourites etc. is equivalent to the browser favourites where you have to store them manually, but once stored you can clear the history and still have your favourites stored.

What puzzles me is why there is no Delete for individual Last Destinations, and what is the purpose of Routes as opposed to destinations and why the Delete function for Routes is there but is different from Destinations (no Edit first). Modern object oriented software means menu and option controls can be re-used rather than individual coders repeatedly re-inventing controls to be the same but different. A consistent interface is easier for coding and for users.

This all suggests that the software design is all over the floor and with little or no usability testing or quality control.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Impala said:
This all suggests that the software design is all over the floor and with little or no usability testing or quality control.
Thanks for the work and explanation @Impala. Seeing as I have deleted ALL my Destinations in the course of my quest to delete one item I will have to get busy re-entering.

It would appear that each section is written by different groups with little if any co-operation twixt the many. Or maybe just the one person with phycological schizophrenia :D

Anyway whatever, thanks again.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bring back this topic.
Quite frankly I am finding this VW nav system a little bit like Marmite. Some love it and other will ( I am in this latter group) hate it.
Frankly I do not find the system easy to manage and now in some situations little more than useless unless I am to blame.
I have need to visit Bilboa I have been given the name of an hotel but it does not have an address (this happens a lot in Spain as they have hotels up mountain tracks etc hence the GEO's) . I have a lovely set of geo co-ordinateson paper but alas to date I cannot find a way to enter these to this unit.
Now, not wishing to be beaten I put in the city and asked for Points of Interest. Very nice, it gives a list of hotels at my physical location and not where I want to go to.
Yes I know there are other ways to find this but that is not the quest, can it be done on this system if you have only this info?
One cannot go to a place on the map as you have no idea where the place is, very frustrating.
My other car can accept GEO inputs, and if I ask for POI near the destination I can choose the type of POI and up comes a list of probables.
Why is this system such a pain in the ass for lesser tech savvy persons, and please don't ask the manual, that's like Manuel from Barcelona, it knows nothing.
Any work arounds anyone? :roll:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Hi Brid, at risk of being labelled a Nerd, this is actually quite easy once you know how.

First, on the Sat Nav map view, tap New dest.

Plant Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device Digital camera

On the next screen, tap the destination settings icon showing the settings cog and a flag (second from the right in the next screen shot)

Vehicle Auto part Personal luxury car Car Technology

On the drop-down menu, select 'Select destination on map'

Automotive design Motor vehicle Auto part Electronic device Font

Ignore the coordinates initially shown, as these may be for a recently entered position or your current location. In my screen shot, I've set it to a nearby off road position so as to hide my exact location.

Steering wheel Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle audio Personal luxury car

Now enter the coordinates by tapping each box for latitude and longitude (degrees, minutes, seconds, N/S, E/W) and using the up/down arrows to scroll through the relevant figures. It is a little bit tedious, as you have to tap a blank area of screen to leave each box before you can select the next.

The next screen shot shows the coordinates and map for Bilbao.

Motor vehicle Map Gadget Personal luxury car Vehicle

So enter the coordinates of your desired destination. You can check/confirm by zooming out to see a wider area in the map, then tap OK to save the destination. If your GEO is in the form of degrees and decimal fractions rather than degrees, minutes and seconds, then you may have to use a converter (there are phone apps).

If you want to abort without saving, just tap the Return icon at the top of the screen, or use the drop-down menu to select a different method of entering the destination.

I hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many thanks Impala for your explanation another couple of your pages stuffed inside the manual for reference, l feel not only myself has been helped.
It really would be great if the manual or even the menu gave a clue with words like enter geo cords as not all are out of the box thinkers.
That clears one problem and maybe you can solve the other.
When using POI icons within a map Search, when a (hotel) symbol is displayed on the map in there a way of that icon being expanded to give it's details, address as some do, be it hotel , restaurant etc, so one might have an idea if that is the place you want? :idea:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Hi again Brid, this is also possible and again quite easy.

Firstly, I'll point out that if I tap POIs on the Sat Nav map view (bottom pop-up menu bar as shown in the first photo in my last post), I get only 3 options of Car Parks, Petrol Stations and Restaurants. These options remain fixed even when I turn off POIs in the main settings (more later), so I'm not sure if these options are a default and always present for all owners or if I somehow configured this.

Anyway, putting that aside and to deal with your question, tap Settings on the Sat Nav map view and then select Map.

Automotive design Radio Personal luxury car Vehicle audio Motor vehicle

Tick 'Show POIs' then tap 'Select categories for POIs' and scroll through the list and tick the categories you want. In this example, I've ticked 'Hotels and motels'.

Radio Personal luxury car Automotive design Vehicle audio Vehicle

Now tap the Return icon rpeatedly until the map is displayed again. Icons for hotels will now be shown on the map, but it may take a few seconds to update (I'm not sure if it requires or works better with an Internet connection). At this point the map will probably be centred on your current location, but you can zoom and pan the map to anywhere you want to search. For the next screenshot, I positioned the map to near the centre of Bilbao then panned and zoomed to find some hotels.

Map Gps navigation device Flight instruments Plant Gadget

If you tap one of the icons (or a stacked group, more later), an information box will pop up. Depending on the length, the data is usually cropped but tapping the right-chevron (>) on the line containing the icon will display an expanded view, as shown in the following 2 slides. Again, the information can extend off the bottom of the screen, but you can either scroll using the right-hand button or you can tap the icon in the top-right corner of the map to open a further expanded view as shown in the 3rd side below.

You will see that you can immediately start route guidance from any of these 3 view, while the second and third views also offer the option to store the destination and provide the full name of the establishment and a phone number if available.

Gadget Font Technology Communication Device Display device

Map Gadget Font Electronic device Personal luxury car

Font Gadget Audio equipment Auto part Electronic device

For the next sequence of 4 slides, I went back to the map settings and added 'Nightlife' to the POI's (displayed as an icon with a cocktail glass and musical note) and then returned back to the map. I tapped on a group of stacked nightlife icons which are listed as 'More POIs' in the first info box. Clicking the right-chevron on that line displays a list of venues from which you can select any and display full details as before. On the last slide, you will notice the title bar at the top showing the establishment name also has left and right-chevrons (< >) at the right-hand side. These allow you to scroll easily through detailed info for each of the venues listed on the 3rd slide without having to go back to select another entry in the list. As before, you can store one or more venues and you can immediately start guidance if you wish.

You can do this for any category of POI and as you can see, I did all of the above without my car being in Spain, which is another difference between this method and the 'default' POIs I mentioned at the start, which always work outwards from your current location and would probably never extend from Scotland to Bilbao :lol:

Map Gps navigation device Font Display device Automotive navigation system

Display device Gadget Font Multimedia Auto part

Gadget Font Display device Multimedia Electronic device

Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part

Attachments

G

·
Great effort exerted there Impala, impressive :p
I don't go far so never use my sat nav but I just notice the lane guidance & traffic flow settings on your photo, what are those about?
Can't say I've noticed them before.
View attachment 2638

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Many many thanks for your excellent explanations Impala.
I think you should consider compiling a "Discover Media Navi for Dummies".
Part of the problem I caused myself. I have been attempting to access the system in a similar method as my other car.
This uses a curser control to move over items to expand the info. I just stupidly never though of tapping the screen. What a prat. :?
However, I do not think I would have got anywhere near without your "how to" pages and I feel that many other members will be appreciating your efforts.
So from me (and from them) a big thank you.
But remember as Arnold always says " I´ll be back" :D

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
vernerbongo2 said:
I don't go far so never use my sat nav but I just notice the lane guidance & traffic flow settings on your photo, what are those about?
P6041275.JPG
OK, the first thing to note is that lane guidance is a navigation aid and has nothing to do with Lane Assist. The second thing to note is that what I'm about to describe only operates during active route guidance.

When you enter/select a destination and start route guidance, you have probably noticed the information display in the centre of the instrument cluster switches to navigation mode and displays guidance on left/right turns and roundabouts etc. When you activate Lane Guidance, the display also shows a graphic of the lanes and indicates which lane(s) you should be in when approaching a junction or roundabout etc. This is usually only shown for motorways and dual carriageways and some other major roads. In addition to showing the lane markings in the instrument cluster display, they are also added at the top of the map display in the Infotainment system. The following 3 slides illustrate leaving the motorway and approaching a roundabout at the end of the exit ramp.

Gadget Map Audio equipment Gps navigation device Font

Gps navigation device Font Automotive navigation system Audio equipment Gadget

Speedometer Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

Before discussing Traffic Flow, I'll say a bit about the Guide & Inform service that is part of Car Net included with Discover Navigation.

VW have a terrible habit of changing the names of all these tech systems and services, so Guide & Inform is now part of We Connect Plus ... see the following links for more info ...

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/connected-car/guide-and-inform

https://www.portal.volkswagen-we.com/portal/web/gb/content/-/content/info-center/guide-inform/online-traffic-information#5

Car Net requires an Internet connection and provides a number of useful features (touch Menu on the Infotainment screen, then touch Car Net) such as the following;

• Online Traffic Information
  • Destination Import
  • Online POI Search
  • News
  • Weather
  • Fuel Info
  • Parking Info

I find the Fuel info very useful as it provides a list of filling stations with fuel prices, name & address and brand logos and shows their locations (A, B , C etc.) on a map. You can sort the list by distance from your current location or price, and when you scroll to the bottom of the list there is an option to display more, which widens the range. This can be repeated numerous times if you like, but once you have decided on the filling station, you tap the entry on the list and can then select to start navigation. It is great when you are in an unfamiliar area.

The Parking info works in much the same way and gives the number of parking spaces (total & available). Again you select one from the list and can start navigation to take you there, a great help in an unfamiliar area.

When traffic info is accessed via Car Net, it is basically a list of all traffic events within a certain range and an accompanying small map. You can browse though the list and tap an entry for more info, or you can tap a symbol on the map.

I find a better way is to leave my Sat Nav on even when I'm not following route guidance, as it displays the traffic information in your vicinity and updates as you drive along. It provides the same categories of info as Car Net, and you can tap a symbol on the map to get details. The categories of traffic info are as follows;

• Traffic jam
  • Danger
  • Accident
  • Road works
  • Ice
  • Strong winds
  • Risk of skidding
  • Road closed
  • Slow-moving traffic

Now back to Traffic Flow. This is like an extension to the Traffic Info which adds coloured strips along the sides of major routes, a bit like Google Maps Traffic. The photo of the Map Settings I posted previously showed the Traffic flow settings greyed out. I'm not sure why, as it was available when I tried today, and you can then tap it and enable/disable 3 sub-options;

• Display free-moving traffic : a clear route is displayed by a green line on the map.
  • Display congestion : congestion is indicated by a red line on the map.
  • Display traffic jams : traffic jams are indicated by an orange line on the map.

Note: the coloured strips can be on either or both sides of the road shown on the map, to indicate which direction(s) of traffic are affected.

You can find more info at this link ... https://www.portal.volkswagen-we.com/portal/web/gb/content/-/content/info-center/guide-inform/online-traffic-information#5

The above seems to imply that there may be a newer systems with 2 additional options; yellow sections indicating increased traffic volume, and dotted sections with restrictions for lane closures etc., but neither of these is available on my car (MY19).

I have disabled 'Display free-moving traffic' as I think it is unnecessary and make the maps confusing.

I've included a few slides showing examples of traffic information symbols, pop-up details, and traffic flow coloured sections.

Gps navigation device Map World Automotive navigation system Computer

Gps navigation device Map World Font Display device

Gps navigation device Map Gadget Font Display device

It is worth pointing out that the benefits of Traffic Information and Traffic Flow allow route guidance to dynamically change the route in response to changing road conditions. Unsurprisingly, this is call Dynamic Route Guidance ... here is an extract from the Infotainment manual;

Dynamic route guidance
For dynamic route guidance, Dynamic route must be activated in Navigation settings → Route options .

If a traffic report that refers to the current route is received during route guidance, an alternative route is calculated if the Infotainment system determines that this can save time. If no time saving is calculated for a diversion, you will be routed through the traffic jam. In both cases, there is a spoken message.

Just before you reach a reported traffic jam, you will be informed about it again.

A diversion based on traffic reports may not always save time, e.g. if there is also heavy traffic on the alternative route. The quality of the dynamic route guidance depends on the information contained in the traffic reports.

Attachments

G

·
Impala said:
vernerbongo2 said:
P6041275.JPG
OK, the first thing to note is that lane guidance is a navigation aid and has nothing to do with Lane Assist. The second thing to note is that what I'm about to describe only operates during active route guidance.

When you enter/select a destination and start route guidance, you have probably noticed the information display in the centre of the instrument cluster switches to navigation mode and displays guidance on left/right turns and roundabouts etc. When you activate Lane Guidance, the display also shows a graphic of the lanes and indicates which lane(s) you should be in when approaching a junction or roundabout etc. This is usually only shown for motorways and dual carriageways and some other major roads. In addition to showing the lane markings in the instrument cluster display, they are also added at the top of the map display in the Infotainment system. The following 3 slides illustrate leaving the motorway and approaching a roundabout at the end of the exit ramp.

P6051290.JPG

P6051291.JPG

P6051292.JPG

Before discussing Traffic Flow, I'll say a bit about the Guide & Inform service that is part of Car Net included with Discover Navigation.

VW have a terrible habit of changing the names of all these tech systems and services, so Guide & Inform is now part of We Connect Plus ... see the following links for more info ...

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/connected-car/guide-and-inform

https://www.portal.volkswagen-we.com/portal/web/gb/content/-/content/info-center/guide-inform/online-traffic-information#5

Car Net requires an Internet connection and provides a number of useful features (touch Menu on the Infotainment screen, then touch Car Net) such as the following;

• Online Traffic Information
  • Destination Import
  • Online POI Search
  • News
  • Weather
  • Fuel Info
  • Parking Info

I find the Fuel info very useful as it provides a list of filling stations with fuel prices, name & address and brand logos and shows their locations (A, B , C etc.) on a map. You can sort the list by distance from your current location or price, and when you scroll to the bottom of the list there is an option to display more, which widens the range. This can be repeated numerous times if you like, but once you have decided on the filling station, you tap the entry on the list and can then select to start navigation. It is great when you are in an unfamiliar area.

The Parking info works in much the same way and gives the number of parking spaces (total & available). Again you select one from the list and can start navigation to take you there, a great help in an unfamiliar area.

When traffic info is accessed via Car Net, it is basically a list of all traffic events within a certain range and an accompanying small map. You can browse though the list and tap an entry for more info, or you can tap a symbol on the map.

I find a better way is to leave my Sat Nav on even when I'm not following route guidance, as it displays the traffic information in your vicinity and updates as you drive along. It provides the same categories of info as Car Net, and you can tap a symbol on the map to get details. The categories of traffic info are as follows;

• Traffic jam
  • Danger
  • Accident
  • Road works
  • Ice
  • Strong winds
  • Risk of skidding
  • Road closed
  • Slow-moving traffic

Now back to Traffic Flow. This is like an extension to the Traffic Info which adds coloured strips along the sides of major routes, a bit like Google Maps Traffic. The photo of the Map Settings I posted previously showed the Traffic flow settings greyed out. I'm not sure why, as it was available when I tried today, and you can then tap it and enable/disable 3 sub-options;

• Display free-moving traffic : a clear route is displayed by a green line on the map.
  • Display congestion : congestion is indicated by a red line on the map.
  • Display traffic jams : traffic jams are indicated by an orange line on the map.

Note: the coloured strips can be on either or both sides of the road shown on the map, to indicate which direction(s) of traffic are affected.

You can find more info at this link ... https://www.portal.volkswagen-we.com/portal/web/gb/content/-/content/info-center/guide-inform/online-traffic-information#5

The above seems to imply that there may be a newer systems with 2 additional options; yellow sections indicating increased traffic volume, and dotted sections with restrictions for lane closures etc., but neither of these is available on my car (MY19).

I have disabled 'Display free-moving traffic' as I think it is unnecessary and make the maps confusing.

I've included a few slides showing examples of traffic information symbols, pop-up details, and traffic flow coloured sections.

P6051296.JPG

P6051297.JPG

P6051300.JPG

It is worth pointing out that the benefits of Traffic Information and Traffic Flow allow route guidance to dynamically change the route in response to changing road conditions. Unsurprisingly, this is call Dynamic Route Guidance ... here is an extract from the Infotainment manual;

Dynamic route guidance
For dynamic route guidance, Dynamic route must be activated in Navigation settings → Route options .

If a traffic report that refers to the current route is received during route guidance, an alternative route is calculated if the Infotainment system determines that this can save time. If no time saving is calculated for a diversion, you will be routed through the traffic jam. In both cases, there is a spoken message.

Just before you reach a reported traffic jam, you will be informed about it again.

A diversion based on traffic reports may not always save time, e.g. if there is also heavy traffic on the alternative route. The quality of the dynamic route guidance depends on the information contained in the traffic reports.
Thanks Impala, you're a knowledgeable man ;)

I've only used my nav once in the time I've had my car and I never knew there were so many different settings and versatility.
I'll have a fiddle around with it sometime and try it out, even locally :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is another area where VW developers are inconsistent and the manuals are totally void of details. Trial and error gets you there if you can persevere and remember all the steps. Anyway, here are the things I've discovered;

As Hawkeye implied, things work differently depending on how you first created/entered the destination. Hawkeye has described how to edit downloaded/online destinations, so I'll focus on some of the others.

Before describing how to delete single or multiple destinations, it is useful to understand how the Sat Nav user data is organised. With the map displayed on the Infotainment screen, touch the Settings icon at the right of the bottom menu bar, and select 'Manage memory' then 'Delete user data' where you will find a list showing 'Last destinations', 'Destination memory', 'Online destinations', 'Routes' etc.

View attachment 2342

As you have already discovered, selecting one or more of these groups and then tapping 'Delete' will delete all entries in the selected groups. Just cancel and exit out of Settings and back to the Sat Nav map.

Before deleting anything, you probably want to review your destinations, and determine the group(s) where they are stored.

Tap 'My dests' on the bottom menu bar and you will see a pop-up of options which includes Routes, Destinations and Last destinations etc.

View attachment 2343

Start at the top and select Routes. This will either bring up a list of stored Routes or a message saying there are no Routes stored. I've stored a couple of samples for the screen shot. To delete a single 'route', touch/select the entry to open a pop-up menu bar which appears below the entry and contains Delete, Edit and Start (guidance) buttons.

View attachment 2344

Cancel/return back to the map and tap 'My dests' again and select the next item, Destintions.

The first thing to note here is the presence of a box and drop-down button to the right of the Destinations title at the top of the screen. The drop-down list has options to select Dest. memory, Favourites, Contacts and Online Dests.

View attachment 2345 View attachment 2346

My screen shot was grabbed with Online Dests selected, but start at the top again and select Dest. memory and the displayed list of destinations will update itself. Don't be surprised to find no entries though. Use the drop-down again to select each of the other options in turn. If you haven't downloaded any destinations from the WeConnect or Car Net or whatever VW call it this week, or defined any destinations as a Favourite or a Contact, then each of these categories will most likely have no entries. Confusing isn't it, especially when you know you have a lot of stored destinations. Note: Last Destinations is not one of the options.

To delete a single destination in one of these groups, first select the group from the drop-down list, locate the destination and tap the chevron [>] to the right of the entry.

View attachment 2347

This opens the destination detail panel with Edit, Options and Start (guidance) buttons.
(Note: Options is only for adjusting the various route options as found in settings.)

View attachment 2349

Tap Edit to open another panel which contains a Delete button.
(Note: There is also a tick box to make this destination a Favourite.)

View attachment 2348

We are getting there slowly, so Cancel/Return back to the map and tap 'My dests' once more and this time select Last Destintions.

When you add a new destination via the Infotainment system, the Sat Nav stores it in 'Last destinations' so this is the most likely place where you will find all of your stored destinations. Now, the problem as you have discovered is that you cannot edit/delete a single destination from this list. Selecting an item will simply calculate the route and there is no Edit/Delete function as described above.

However, there is a work around solution which involves identifying the destinations you want to keep and copying them from 'Last Destinations' to the 'Destinations' group. Note: this process creates a copy of the destination and the original (now duplicate) remains in Last Destinations.

Once you have copied all the ones you want to keep, then you can use the 'Manage memory' option in Settings to delete all the entries in 'Last destinations'. Be sure to select only 'Last Destinations' when deleting user data.

This is a chore, but as far as I can see it is the only way to prune Last Destinations. Here's how to do it ...

Tap 'My dests' on the bottom menu bar and select Last Destinations. Scroll through the list of destinations and tap the chevron to the right of the entry (eg NEC, Birmingham in the screen shot).

View attachment 2350

A destination info panel will appear, with Store, Call and Start (guidance) buttons.

View attachment 2351

Select Store and follow the prompts to confirm, renaming the destination if desired.

Finally, go back to 'My Dests' and select Destintions. Make sure Dest. Memory is selected in the drop-down and then confirm that a copy of the chosen destination has been added.

Apologies for the length of this post, and for the poor quality of some of the screen shots which were taken in the dark and were too bright for the camera.
Unfortunately that didn't work on my new T-Roc.
There are a lot of posts about this problem on other VW forums.
Nothing in any VW manual and no response from VW.
I managed to delete one entry - once - but even though I recorded every step of the procedure (and it certainly was not intuitive/logical) it did not work a second time. I think that other users have similar experiences.
I think it is a poor system, not properly documented and with bugs.
I have another unsolved problem with the reversing camera - does not work when cold !
I do like VW's (I have an old Passat with no gadgets and no problems)
I think that the new VW "Infotainment" is just not very good.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts