Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Recently ordered a T-ROC, see below. I am new to the type. Not new to VAG vehicles, though. Had a couple of Skoda Superbs and hired the inevitable Golfs on hols on mainland Europe. Changing to T-ROC from a Mini hatch 3dr Cooper S. Mini's an absolute delight to drive. Strap it to your back then point and go. Ridiculous fun to drive. However, suspension is fashioned from bricks and my backbone won't take it any more (some busted discs). Got the Mini because I wanted to downsize from Superbs and in addition to suspension problem, it really is a bit too much downsized.
Superbs were a "Dieselgate" 4x4 and a 2.0L petrol with 230-ish bhp. Both brilliant. A 2.0L petrol with 4x4 would be even better so that's why I've ordered the T-ROC. Would have preferred a Golf body but the engine combination wasn't there. Tested the GTD and GTE and liked them but, again, too thrashy over bumps and crap road surfaces. So ended up with a "Golf wearing a posh frock and high-heels" as one magazine put it. Suspect delivery may slip some more but, at the moment, happy to wait.

·
Registered
R-Line 2020, 2.0 TSI DSG 4M, Indium Grey/Metallic black, Ordered 2/3/20, Collected 10/8/20
204 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

When I ordered my T Roc last year I wasn't sure whether to go for the 1.5 TSI that I test drove or one a bit quicker but a lot more expensive!

I was very glad I got the 2.0 TSI as it is quite rapid and actually faster than the GTE I had before it.

After 5 Golfs the change to a T Roc is like a breath of fresh air and I've never looked back.

You won't be sorry. I look at it as a Golf on steroids!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Pine Man.
I must admit that the 2.0L's nigh-on 200bhp might have been an influence in my choice. Never have got on with less than well-powered vehicles. Had a NIssan 200SX geological ages ago. Very prompt. And I've been spoilt by the Mini's 0-60 in 6.6ish secs. I know VW quotes 7.2secs for the T-ROC but Autocar claims to have done it in 6.7sec. All relatively academic, of course. Just nice to know that the power-to-weight ratio can deliver the good when needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Delivery day 😊. Red Monster collected this morning. It really is seriously red! Look...
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Land vehicle

Will post more details when I've done a few more miles. Initial impressions are very good, though. Marvellous comfy ride. Even set on "Sport" it is very considerate of my pretty knackered back. This does not compromise the handling - will still corner like it is on rails. Sticks like glue - the 4x4 acts like an old-fashioned RWD limited slip diff. Pushes you firmly from the rear when it comes in. Also definitely worth going for the 2.0L. Only a few tenths behind the Mini on performance.
Only annoying thing so far is having to spend so long turning off various unwanted digital things before driving off.

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Mr Bongo. Aside from stop/start and lane assist I also turn off the automatic, computer decided braking thingey. Only had car two days so I'm sure there will be other things, like some doxy telling me what to do when she cannot find a Zoroastran restaurant or something.
The device you show in the link sounds just the thing. But I'm leasing the Red Monster and it would invalidate insurance and make the sky fall on my head. So I'll stick to clicking it off at start of play. Understand there is a way of doing it through the steering wheel buttons rather than faffing about with the screen. Testing it tomorrow...

·
Registered
466 Posts
I Understand there is a way of doing it through the steering wheel buttons rather than faffing about with the screen. Testing it tomorrow...
Lane assist, there's a button on the end of the indicator stalk.
Then toggle to off (steering wheel buttons right hand side) press OK 👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome Tharg and that is a lovely looking T Roc. Like you I am a new T Roc purchaser. I have found out on Monday my 1.5TSI Active has been built and is awaiting transit to Grimsby so should have it in 3-4 weeks! I am moving from Golfs and fancied a change i am looking forward to sitting a bit higher and having the familiarity of a car i love. I am looking forward to having buttons again as i have a Golf 8 and have had some software issues! Happy motoring to you Daniel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for you kind words, Daniel. The T-ROC drives and feels very much like a Golf but feels more comfy. I know it shouldn't but that's my first impression. Test drove the Golf GTE as an alternative but didn't like it. Far too complicated. Think you may be disappointed with the button situation. Still a lot of things which need to be done on the touch screen: auto-braking, sport ESC, for example. Am trying to find other, button-led ways of doing stuff. Trial and error because the handbook really is useless.
Bongo - thanks for the button data. Think on my model it works through the steering wheel buttons (no switch on indicator). Hopefully trying it today

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steering wheel buttons worked fine; pity the manual leaves you guessing exactly what to do and when to press what. Wheel buttons will handle auto braking, lane control and stop/start. They may do something else but I ran out of time after eventually getting VW software to accept me a new user/driver. Had to fill in the whole tedious set of questions three times before the software stopped losing everything.

This does not fill me with confidence about VW's digital and software expertise. It told me that a software update is now available. Told it to hang on to it for the moment while I consider how and whether to download/install the thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts