Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW used to have Owner's Manuals available to download in PDF format, then they switched to an online only service using a web viewer a couple of years ago.

I don't like the online manuals, for a number of reasons, so I converted a few to PDF format, added a TOC and made some of them available on this forum and all are available on Google Drive for viewing and/or download from this link;
VW T-Roc Docs - Google Drive

Note: the TOC is not supported on Google Drive but is available in the downloaded PDFs.

I was able to do this because the VW viewer allowed every section and sub-section to be expanded in a browser and then the entire manual printed in PDF format. It was slow and painstaking, as there was no facility that I could find to 'view all', so each section/sub-section had to be expanded one at a time, then left open while moving on to the next etc. until all were open.

I had a look at the latest online manual recently and it seems that VW have changed their viewer and it is no longer possible to have multiple sub-sections open simultaneously. Each sub-section now closes when you open another.

Sadly, this means that I can no longer convert the manual to PDF format without considerably more work, involving creating a PDF for each sub-section and then stitching them all together in a single PDF document. I could possibly script this to do it 'hands-free', but again that would take some effort.

I've tried viewing the online manuals using Firefox, Chrome and MS Edge but in every case (even old versions I converted in the past) I can't find any way to keep sub-sections open (expanded) when moving through the rest of the manual. I just wondered if anyone has viewed the latest manual and managed to keep multiple sections open at the same time, or found a way to view/expand all sections.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen that already ... not impressed and even worse to use than the VW viewer.

The main section heading are almost impossible to detect as they are in the same standard fornt as the text, no bold text, no larger font etc. There is no table of contents, never mind interactive bookmarks.

Many technical tables have corrupted formatting with data tables comprising v. narrow columns with wrapped text which are impossible to use/read and the pages which should contain the specs of all the engine variants are just blank pages.

Frankly, if I had produced that I would never put it in the public domain and try to get people to pay a donation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts