Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the VW Online user manuals webpage has now been updated and is apparently now working, I was wondering if anyone had any luck with getting in and viewing a manual for their car ?

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/manuals

I have seen on the T-Cross forums that not everyone can get it to work.

Give it a try...

G

·
I couldn't get on with my T Roc Reg for some reason but got on with someone else's Reg and also got on to a T Cross, which I'm assuming you wanted as that's what you're going for now? :p

Used autotrader for the registrations 😉

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well it worked perfectly for me

·
Registered
156 Posts
Puh-lease tell me T-Rocs come with printed manuals...

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
I got in to the web site and could view the manuals online but this is another backward step by VW. There is no download facility !

In the previous VW system, the manuals were in PDF documents which you could view online or download. Most manuals are produced as PDF documents as that is one of the class leading tools and formats and is an industry wide standard. I suspect the web site is using a host server based PDF viewer, an additional and unnecessary step, rather than just sending the PDF to the client and letting the browser perform the rendering. Someone in VW trying to show off ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Impala said:
I got in to the web site and could view the manuals online but this is another backward step by VW. There is no download facility !
I simply went down the whole thing and expanded each section..

Once everything expanded simply saved to PDF using the "Save to PDF" option in the Chrome browser..

Worked really well, now got a copy I can read offline.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,903 Posts
Impala said:

In the previous VW system, the manuals were in PDF documents which you could view online or download. Most manuals are produced as PDF documents as that is one of the class leading tools and formats and is an industry wide standard. I suspect the web site is using a host server based PDF viewer, an additional and unnecessary step, rather than just sending the PDF to the client and letting the browser perform the rendering. Someone in VW trying to show off ?
To take it a step further: it's even more unusable on mobile devices due to heavily nested sections, no "loading" indicator when you open sections, overlapping text, etc. Typical VW giving zero consideration for UX design or testing.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,903 Posts
trocsel said:
This may explain why some of us can't access online manuals
LMAO, because 2017 is definitely long enough ago to be considered "legacy" or "obsolete"... What lazy bastards VW are.

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
greyroc said:
Impala said:
I simply went down the whole thing and expanded each section..

Once everything expanded simply saved to PDF using the "Save to PDF" option in the Chrome browser..

Worked really well, now got a copy I can read offline.
Hi Greyroc,

Have you checked the PDF document ? I expanded the sections in the same way with Firefox, Chrome, Edge and IE and none of them produced a complete and/or acceptable PDF file. In some cases text and/or sub-sections were missing and in others the images weren't scaled properly and filled entire pages !

I also found and confirmed that expnding each section in turn simply appends further POST data to the URL and it eventually reaches a point where the remote web server fails and if you're lucky you get a message stating that the URL is too long for the server to handle.

I'm sure this is another bit of IT which VW have failed to extensively test before foisting it on customers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Impala said:
Have you checked the PDF document ? I expanded the sections in the same way with Firefox, Chrome, Edge and IE and none of them produced a complete and/or acceptable PDF file. In some cases text and/or sub-sections were missing and in others the images weren't scaled properly and filled entire pages !

I also found and confirmed that expnding each section in turn simply appends further POST data to the URL and it eventually reaches a point where the remote web server fails and if you're lucky you get a message stating that the URL is too long for the server to handle.
I didn't have a similar experience, mine seems to have worked fine..
I have had a look through it and have only found a few bits of text that appeared in the wrong place.
Mind you, I was converting a T-Cross manual which may not have as many pages in it as the T-Roc ?

I also tried to do the same for the Workshop manuals which can be found on the link below.
https://cardiagn.com/volkswagen/volkswagen-t-roc/

These were a problem, so I had to print each section as individual PDF files, but not really problem to find stuff as I named each file after the section title. These all look fine.

Good luck with the T-Roc manuals.

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
I have converted the (online) 19.12.2019 versions of the T-Roc Owner's Manual and the Composition & Discover Media Infotainment Manual to PDF files and added bookmarks (contents) to each for easy navigation.

The Infotainment Manual is attached below, but the Owner's Manual cannot be uploaded to the forum due to its size (~ 55 MB), so I have placed a copy on Google Docs which can be accessed/downloaded using the link provided below.

Composition & Discover Media Infotainment Manual edition 19.12.2019

View attachment Composition & Discover Media Infotainment Manual edition 19.12.2019.pdf

T-Roc Owner's Manual edition 19.12.2019

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mtyxBIyZrfkr4cdFp5xVL888jjs4KJju/view

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
I have now converted the 25.09.2020 version of the T-Roc Owner's Manual to a PDF file and added bookmarks (contents) for easy navigation.

The PDF file cannot be uploaded to the forum due to its size (~ 40 MB), so I have placed a copy on Google Docs which can be viewed/downloaded using the link provided below.

T-Roc Owner's Manual edition 25.09.2020

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UOKsnUbSK5e7OF8zqa4CVU1n-nuKufdI/view

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
I've completed the conversion of the 10.03.2020 edition of the Owner's Manual and placed a PDF file on Google Drive for viewing/downloading. As before, I've created bookmarks to provide a table of contents but these are not supported within Google and can only be seen and used with a local PDF viewer, so it's best to download the PDF.

Some of the subsections in this edition do not open in the VW online manual, so these appear in the PDF document as the subsection title with a spinning wheel icon to the far right. I have created bookmark entries for them with an 'X' appended to the title.

T-Roc Owner's Manual edition10.03.2020

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZsofO1aR3RNGcthOm4tCvinkypUiFwjN/view

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
In case anyone is wondering why bother with all these versions of the Owner's Manual, I should point out that there are significant changes between recent editions arising from changes to the Infotainment system (MIB2 to MIB3), SatNav, Radio, Media and Communications as well as revised engines on MY20 and MY21 cars.

Large parts of the latest editions are still applicable to MY18 and MY19 cars, but I suggest that owners should enter their unique VIN in the VW web site to determine which edition of the manual is applicable. For example, I have found some MY20 VIN's lead to the 19.12.2019 edition, while others lead to the 10.03.2020 edition. At the time of writing, only MY21 VIN's lead to the latest 25.09.2020 manual. Also, by using the VIN you will be offered any other documents that apply to your car.

As mentioned above, there are some problems with missing subsections in the 10.03.2020 edition on the VW web site, so owners of cars which have VIN's pointing to that edition probably want to read those sections of earlier and later editions to determine which best applies to their car.

Use either of these links if you have the VIN, or use the second link if you need to enter your UK registration number ...

https://userguide.volkswagen.de/public/vin/login/en_GB

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and-drivers/my-car/manuals

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.