Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody got really too close to the kerb when using ParkAssist? On a recent parking manoeuvre the front tyre was actually touching the kerb. !However, fortunately did not damage alloy due to tyre being slightly prominent of wheel.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This can and does happen and also with the rear wheels when "in line" parking.
It is called Park Assist for a reason, it is not totally foolproof and it is for the driver to keep a watchful eye and interact if required. :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Park assist really lines you up with the other vehicles that you're parking against, so if you parallel park between two cars that are close to or even on the kerb, that's where you'll end up too. I had the reverse yesterday, I ended up miles from the kerb because the car in front was parked badly. I had to manually adjust my position.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just be vigilant (you have to be, anyway). I've never had a problem so far. Anyway, the tyres on mine are not exactly low-profile, it would have to be quite some kerb to cause wheel damage.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have 'park assist ' but have not used it during the 3 months since taking delivery. As it was not a chosen option (dealer-stocked car), I have been reluctant to try it out in case I have an accident :oops:
If I try it and cock things up, will the car break automatically before colliding with the nearby front and rear vehicles if I fail to use the break quick enough?.
I've watched various YouTube videos and car adverts on the TV but still feel anxious about it. I realise it is called park 'assist, not autonomous parking but am I being un-necessarily over cautious?.

However I have never had problems parallel parking myself so should I just forget 'park assist' altogether?.

·
Registered
402 Posts
No, it won't brake. It's all about you.
No offence, bit I'm guessing you're "elderly"?
I get disappointed when the parking spots are all so big and so easy that I can't really use park assist! When I first got the vast I did a few practice parks in the supermarket (front & rear bay parking) and did parallel parks in a nearby street. Once you've had a bit of practice it becomes second nature.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for that, will give it a try. Yes, I'm a 'young at heart' 73, old habits die hard :mrgreen:

·
Registered
402 Posts
The "risk aversion" gave it away. But you've got this far parking for yourself, so...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mackemsteve said:
The "risk aversion" gave it away. But you've got this far parking for yourself, so...
.........so I am still very alert, well read, quite tech savvy and even purchased my first ever 'smart mobile phone in order to use the WAZE app for SatNav :p
I can still get from A to B with a 'single glance' of a road map ( what's one of those some youngsters may ask :lol: ), so SatNav is just for speed camera/ traffic delay updates/ diversion info etc. You can see from my postings (157) that I am here to help and be helped so you and I have alot in common (351 posts). Keep up the good work :D Regards, John, Urmston, Greater Manchester.

PS
My wife thinks I am suffering from 'Forumitis' but as It's less serious than tweetitis :evil: , facebookitis :evil: & snapchatitis :evil: etc, she doesn't mind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Us "older" drivers need to stick together. I had park assist on my last 2 VW's, (Tiguan and Golf mk7). The only time I used park assist on the Tiguan was to demonstrate to my son when I first had the car, never used it on the Golf. When I ordered the Troc R-Line I didn't bother. The salesman told me about Lane assist on the R-Line and how it keeps you between the white lines. As with an "older" drivers privilege, I was able to say that I've been driving for 45 years and somehow always managed to keep the car between the lines...

Ian H
R-Line 1.5 manual pure white/Black roof

·
Registered
86 Posts
Us "older" drivers need to stick together. I had park assist on my last 2 VW's, Tiguan and mk7 Golf. The only time I used it on the Tiguan was to demonstrate to my son, never used it on the Golf, so didn't bother with the Troc.
When ordering the R-Line the salesman told me about lane assist where the car keeps you between the white lines. At this point I was able to use my "older" driver privilege and say that I'd been driving for 45 years and always managed to keep the car between the lines.....

Ian H
R-Line 1.5 manual pure white/Black roof

·
Registered
86 Posts
But then us "older" drivers have other problems... where you post a comment and 2 minutes later forget.. and post it again... getting old is great..

Ian H

·
Registered
234 Posts
Was park assist developed for those who have not had the experience of trying to do it by themselves?
I don't think I have ever needed it in my life so far. If I start needing it, then it's time to give up driving altogether.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ianh said:
But then us "older" drivers have other problems... where you post a comment and 2 minutes later forget.. and post it again... getting old is great..

Ian H

I like :lol: :lol:
mvk said:
Was park assist developed for those who have not had the experience of trying to do it by themselves?
I don't think I have ever needed it in my life so far. If I start needing it, then it's time to give up driving altogether.
:cool: :cool:
Glad I'm not the only 'oldy' with a T-Roc :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
JAMCT said:
Thanks for that, will give it a try. Yes, I'm a 'young at heart' 73, old habits die hard :mrgreen:
73 years old last Tuesday 30th October :D , D.o.B. on my 'profile' page.......wasn't I suppose to get a forum greeting per the administration's members info?. Didn't spot one :( :( :(

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm in IT and have a passion for gadgets. The thing that drives me most towards a car (and to changing my car) is new gadgets. The T-Roc has so much on it that hopefully I won't need to change for a few years! It's hard to imagine what new and exciting gadgetry might come along in the next few years!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Count me in the oldie clan. SUV's have been a boon for folks with knees which need to be cared for, backs that dont have to fold and twist too much to enter the growing trend of " only entry by under 30's or gymnasts" slippery shaped missiles. :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mackemsteve said:
I'm in IT and have a passion for gadgets. The thing that drives me most towards a car (and to changing my car) is new gadgets. The T-Roc has so much on it that hopefully I won't need to change for a few years! It's hard to imagine what new and exciting gadgetry might come along in the next few years!
My passion is previewing CONCEPT CARS so tech-wise I am already thinking ahead a couple of years and I am very impressed with VW's range of electric concepts recently shown at recent motor shows such as the VW I.D. Crozz SUV.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/156748/electric-volkswagen-id-crozz-suv-expected-in-2020

However being Tiguan in size I would probably look at the T-Roc electric equivalent so before one can say Jack Robinson, we will be logging into id****forums etc :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
10 Brownie points to me :)

This morning I successfully completed my first hands-free PARK ASSIST parallel parking manoeuver but into a very spacious parking space. No dents or scratches :lol:

Easy peasy :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts