Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do if this was your car?

The short story - We wanted a car, specifically with factory tinted windows. The tints are wanted because (a) they make the look of the car, especially at the rear - and (b) we've a toddler and it helps keep the sun out of his eyes. We were invoiced for this and paid for them. What we've received are clearly aftermarket tints, and badly applied ones too. Some pictures below...

My wife's heartbroken - it's the first time we've bought a new car, and I feel we've been miss-sold completely.

Looks great at a glance... but why do we have such a visible rear window heating grid?

Rear window - just a mess.

Side windows - bubbling too.

Longer story...

After a few weeks of test driving and pondering over cars, we settled on a T-Roc. We were offered a good price via carwow at our local dealer, so agreed to buy. Order was placed for a 1.0 TSI SE, we originally decided on urano grey paint, with one option of factory tinted windows, and were prepared to wait for the car. We placed the order for this car new with factory tints.

The dealer, probably conscious of the supply and lead time issues that seem common on this forum, searched other dealer and "at the port" stock, and found alternative vehicles without the tint in stock to try to get a car sooner. They offered to put a tint film on, which they claimed would be as good as stock - we specifically said we didn't want this (why buy a new car to affectively modify it?). Eventually they found our black T-Roc with "factory tints" - and we could have it in just a couple of weeks. We were delighted.

I noticed the tints looked wrong when collecting the car today. It was made more obvious by being parked next to a vehicle with "proper" tints.

The dealer appeared surprised - They hurried us away, with a quick offer of a full tank of fuel, and a promise he would call the supplying dealer and VW UK to find out if it was an error on their part (huh?) on Monday and then suggested if needed, they would REPLACE the windows to standard spec!

We contacted VW via online chat when we'd got the car home, who confirmed that the car didn't have factory glass.

I will not name the dealer at this time, as it's only fair I give them chance to put this right.

What would you do if this was your new car?

Would you accept your brand new car having all the rear door and rear boot window replacing? My opinion is that this would inevitably cause damage, require removing internal panels, and possibly leave an unsatisfactory result (I wonder how experienced anyone can be at replacing the rear window - could we be the first to need this?)

Could we accept it with compensation? If we did, we'd need to declare this as a modified car on insurance, and put up with a lesser appearance. and given it's already starting to show signs of bubbling, i'm not sure I trust the longevity of the aftermarket tint.

We are considering just giving the keys back and asking for a refund. This feels extreme given it's just the windows, but it isn't what we ordered, so we're within our rights to return it.

Possibly the best option would be for the dealer to find a car in SE spec with the windows, even in a slightly different colour to replace this one... Might push for this on Monday.

What would you do?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Honestly 'UnhappyHusband'-
If it was me?
Reject it. Your argument is that it is clearly not as good as 'stock', and your options are...

a. Cancel the order for a full refund . or
b. Request a new model as to your original spec/ order, and demand that you use this (or equivalent) vehicle until your new vehicle is delivered.

Goods are not of merchantable quality-End of.

Sorry but that is my view on this.
Hope you can sort it to your satisfaction, whatever you do.
Regards-
Geoff
Oh, and don't let this ruin your, and your wife's, whole experience of buying a new car-I'm sure you will get this sorted to your satisfaction :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Under the Consumer Rights Act, you have an early right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund. But this right is limited to 30 days from the date you bought the product. However, this right to a refund doesn't apply to digital content.

Thinks that's your answer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for your input. It's helping to get our minds clear for when we talk to the dealer on Monday.

I agree we've got a robust case to return the car for a replacement to spec, or take a full refund. We're going to make this clear.

We expect the dealer is going to push for replacing the windows. I can't decide if we could accept that or not.

Part of me wants to take the car and move on... Anyone got a picture of one in black without a rear tint to help decide if we could accept it tint free, with sufficient compensation?

I was looking froward to being on here discussing features of the car and my new non touch, snowfoam, DI vessel rinse car washing setup! Ah well... hopefully back in a few weeks with a more cheerful username.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would get the rear tinted film replaced to a much better standard, or much preferably, get them to replace all the back windows, plus compensation of some description One of my golfs was ordered with 90% rear tints and a mistake at the factory meant that one side window (3 door car) was 65%, the rest being correct. Long story short. the dealer ordered a correct piece of glass and a trusted local glass fitter replaced it. It is impossible to tell that the glass has been replaced and I am very fussy. The darker rear tints make the car me, I wouldn't have one without them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, No ifs no buts reject the car. It's not what you ordered and paid for. Why should you accept a car that has had several interior trim panels removed and refitted which could cause further damage and possible rattles. That to me would not be a new car.

REJECT IT !!! :evil:

·
Registered
234 Posts
My Daughter ordered a car A( Vauxhall Adam) the same as the one being used as a demonstrator. She wanted NEW and didn't mind waiting. When it came the grey car with white roof had purple seats all cloth instead of black / dark grey with leatherette side panels. She rejected it and was given the rejected car to use until hers came in. They then adjusted the finance to start when her new car arrived with the same finish date, giving her a higher allowance at the end of her payments. meaning she only payed 33 payments instead of 36 but the allowance was higher as the car was only 33 months old when it needed to go back. IF THAT ALL MAKES SENCE.
A good deal in the end I think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All sorted, thanks all for your tips.

Wrote a letter rejecting the car, stating not as described. Dealership agreed within the day. Sadly now returned, but have my old car back, and a build date (fairly soon too) for the replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts