Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm new here and have been a VW owner for years.....always a golf....usually diesel.
Anyhow - about to buy a 2020 SEL 2.0L Tdi....in fact next week.

Was looking for another golf and had planned to get a 1.5 petrol model but I've been very happy with my 2.0l Tdi golf (140bhp.....the one with emissions bug ...but never had mine doctored by dealer) so I'm happy with either.

Anyhow, whilst looking I saw the T Roc and ...well it looked different and refreshing....so started looking for one of these.

Found a nice low miles model 2020 SEL 2.0l Tdi and am happy to continue with diesel unless advised against it.

Or of course any comments in favour of the Tdi.

So any comments or advice appreciated and what should I look out for.
Its a VW dealer with 2 year warranty so it should be good.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I think it depends to a large part on where you live and where you might want to drive to. Many cities are introducing low, and extremely low emisssion zones and have a clear agenda against any cars and especially diesel. This used to be restricted to older models but is now targetting any, so in some cases it means paying charges while in others it is a complete ban.

We seem to be rushing towards the end of combustion in any form, whether it's cars, central heating, cooking or power stations, under pressure from ill informed pressure groups. I don't mind these sources of CO2 emissions being phased out, but only when viable alternatives for all are up and running and in all parts of the country. No one should be left behind, whether for financial reasons or just geography and a post code lottery and all for the sake of political posturing. At the moment, the outlook for being able to generate and distribute the necessary amounts of elctricity is very bleak indeed, not to mention the costs of replacing appliances and cars and installing home charging equipment and upgraded power feeds to properties. Don't believe to hogwash of cheap electricity from renewable sources or promises of a jobs bonanza.

Reactions: htpeargo

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
1,722 Posts
I think it depends to a large part on where you live and where you might want to drive to. Many cities are introducing low, and extremely low emisssion zones and have a clear agenda against any cars and especially diesel. This used to be restricted to older models but is now targetting any, so in some cases it means paying charges while in others it is a complete ban.

We seem to be rushing towards the end of combustion in any form, whether it's cars, central heating, cooking or power stations, under pressure from ill informed pressure groups. I don't mind these sources of CO2 emissions being phased out, but only when viable alternatives for all are up and running and in all parts of the country. No one should be left behind, whether for financial reasons or just geography and a post code lottery and all for the sake of political posturing. At the moment, the outlook for being able to generate and distribute the necessary amounts of elctricity is very bleak indeed, not to mention the costs of replacing appliances and cars and installing home charging equipment and upgraded power feeds to properties. Don't believe to hogwash of cheap electricity from renewable sources or promises of a jobs bonanza.
Completely agree with this sentiment. BUT. I think the reason we are having to do this is that previous generations did basically nothing to combat emissions. Lots of talk and promises but ultimately zero action, broken promises and now we have to play catch-up otherwise we will end up in serious climate trouble - and we are already seeing the effect.

But I think the governments definitely need to do more to help people into electric cars (or other renewable-powered alternatives like hydrogen) instead of punishing people who can’t afford the kind of electric car they need. Cutting the EV grants over and over was a huge mistake. I may have gone electric if they hadn’t gone down that road.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The usual answer.
if you do big mileage go for diesel if not go for the 1.5 petrol.
My petrol averages 42mpg's driven conservatively.
The petrol might handle a bit better with less weight in the front.

As you probably know, there's a 1 lite petrol & a 1.6 litre diesel as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
What I was thinking about is the lean burn issue with the 1.5 Petrol Evo....I believe it is on cold start up and I read some people have this niggle and the dealer cannot fix it....called a "feature" of the car they have.

So I was thinking of the 1.5 Petrol but as I've found a nice 2.0L diesel, well as I've had many diesels then its fine by me. I live in the country and there are no local cities with restrictions so far and not a big deal anyhow as local train goes straight to the city if I must go.

The question was aimed at any issues with the VW year 2020 2.0L diesels.....reliability/problems/DPF issues? I believe the diesel I have (EA189) has a DPF but I've never had any issues and usually once per week it gets a 30 mile (15 there, then back) return journey on the motorway. My diesel does not use AdBlue but the 2020 model does....any issues?

I had a Golf 1.9 Tdi PD engine before the 2.0 TDi (EA189) and at first I found the EA189 not as torquey as the PD engine but more like a petrol engine as it rev'd better and I came to love it as it still pulled well.

So I'm sort of expecting the 2020 2.0 TDi to be just as good as the EA189?

Thanks again for any advice.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Completely agree with this sentiment ...
How come you have a US flag on your profile Twist ? Are you using a VPN to access the forum ?

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

• Haha
Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
1,722 Posts
How come you have a US flag on your profile Twist ? Are you using a VPN to access the forum ?

View attachment 4045
Nope. It’s because my blood runs red, white and blue.

Have you never noticed I spell things the way they should be spelled? 🤪

Edit: not sure how the site knows that though as I haven’t filled in the “location” field in the settings page and I don’t typically use a VPN on my phone (which I mainly use to access this site).

• Haha

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
1,722 Posts
Looks like the flag is IP-based as it’s now a Union Jack. Must’ve had my VPN on!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Looks like the flag is IP-based as it’s now a Union Jack. Must’ve had my VPN on!
You only need a VPN when you're very dodgy 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
1,722 Posts
You only need a VPN when you're very dodgy 🤷‍♂️
I’m only slightly dodgy but I like to be prepared in case I become very dodgy in the future 😉

• Haha

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Exactly, that's why I was asking.

Makes you wonder what other data is being harvested by the new forum operator.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Exhaustnote,

What ever you choose I hope you enjoy the car. I've never had a diesel car myself as most of the old diesels I've come into contact with get noisy after a few years, but that's just my opinion.

Exactly, that's why I was asking.

Makes you wonder what other data is being harvested by the new forum operator.
As the owner of a forum I can tell you that with the forum software I use the IP address of every member is shown in their posts. It's not shown to other members only to admin or the member themselves. It's pretty much standard on all forum software to combat either hacking attempts are spam posters. If the IP is available then the owner can ban the user based on their IP address. This is why VPNs are used by hackers and spammers to avoid detection and carry on making everyone elses life a misery.

Just thought you should know ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts