Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the Power Tailgate can be retro-fitted by dealers or does it have to be factory fitted?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can't be sure!. I have it and generally open it from my key fob and close it by a push button switch in the bottom of th lower frame of the tailgate. It can also be opened via a switch in the the driver's door, low down near the storage compartment.

SO......to retro-fit there would have to be blanked-off switches in the door and tailgate, probably pre-wired and an electrical servo motor facility pre-installed or easily retro-fitted. Also required would be a RF receiver in the car and a transmitter? in 2 key fobs. In the case of replacement tailgate opening keys, new coded keys are generally over-priced so the whole palarver would be uneconomical IMO.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The car pick up the signal, because, when you press the boot/trunk button it un-lock the boot/trunk and not the rest of the car. Which when you think about it, when you open the whole car, say in a carpark and have a load of shopping which you put straight in the boot/trunk. Then you get in the car, and then find someone has jumped in the, front and is waiting for you to get in with the keys and carjack you. I have heard of that happening before.

I now wish I had gotten the power boot/trunk lid, as you say it is very heavy, but also my wife has to stand on her tip toes to get hold of the handle recess to bring it down again, not easy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
braveheart74 said:
Yes I also find the tailgate very heavy and wish I had specified the power option
Remote Control Tailgate and Reversing Camera are the best things since sliced bread. :p I would definitely recommend any potential T-Roc purchaser or any one waiting for delivery to ask their sales representative to add these options if possible before build week is confirmed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've chosen it as an extra on my 2018/19/20 ??? SEL but, in anticipation of having to cancel (cos I won't wait for ever), I may have to consider a 'stock' alternative hence I was wondering if it could be retro fitted.
I take the point that motors etc would have to be fitted but, over the years I've managed to fit quite a few accessory kits (fog and spot lights) and found that the wiring loom is always in place but the wires not used - obviously - and blanks always existed to be popped out for the switch to push in .. The only Unknown would be mounting the servo etc but, again the mounting points would exist .. I wouldn't undertake the work myself but surely a VW trained chappy would make short work of it

·
Registered
376 Posts
:p If its a serious problem buy some slightly uprated gas struts.
Personally power tailgate is not for me again for
1: once locking keys in the car.
2: constant worry of opening with not enough headroom (dents in the Merc can attest) I have done it once and my wife twice.
3: faulty lock mechanics, twice.
Each to their own of course. Yes it is accepted than one can adjust the raise height but then, at over 6 ft tall the dents in the forehead became more painful than the weight of a tailgate and anyway, it saves going to the gym :eek:

·
Registered
157 Posts
brid said:
:p If its a serious problem buy some slightly uprated gas struts.
Personally power tailgate is not for me again for
1: once locking keys in the car.
2: constant worry of opening with not enough headroom (dents in the Merc can attest) I have done it once and my wife twice.
3: faulty lock mechanics, twice.
Each to their own of course. Yes it is accepted than one can adjust the raise height but then, at over 6 ft tall the dents in the forehead became more painful than the weight of a tailgate and anyway, it saves going to the gym :eek:
I agree.
I had it on the r line and while I found it to be great at first it turned into more of a novelty and was just easier to have a manual one. (My daughters used love showing it off on the school run though :) )
The same as the around view camera which in the end I did not really need after a while. Saved Kirbing the bloody 18inch wheels though a few times :lol:
But as you say each to their own. Where would we be if we did not have our own individual tastes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Didn't HENRY FORD say you can have any colour as long as it's Black when configuring your Model-T Ford? :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts