Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody compared using Premium Unleaded, compared with regular fuel.

In my last Ford I used Supermarket fuel with no problems, but my Brother uses Premium Unleaded in his Mini Cooper and was getting good MPG on a recent trip.

Not sure if it is worth the extra cost to use it all the time or if you get any benefit from the odd tank full

·
Registered
402 Posts
I used it for a month in my Qashqai and got zero difference in fuel economy, so went back to normal fuel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have driven my last few cars (including 2 Golfs that claim to need premium) on the cheap stuff without any perceived issues and good economy. My 1.4 tsi averages 43-46 mpg over the year, majority suburban trundling....

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would say it depends on the car using it. I hardly doubt the petrol 1.0 and 1.5 makes a noticeable difference, probably the same case with the 2.0. However if you are running high performance versions, which doesnt exist from factory yet on t-roc, or you go down the tuning road, the story is different. There's one positive benefit though, the additives in premium petrol ensures a more clean engine, and will help removing small particles and soot, so in that way you can say it is beneficial to all engines. I use premium fuel every 10th tank or such, just to clean out the system, but you could achieve the same thing buying a bottle of additives, I am just lazy in that regard and buys shell vpower.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There's a YouTube video by 5th Gear about premium fuels. In their tests in a Golf GTi shell v power gave the biggest power boost, about 5 hp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was advised by my local VW mechanic to try premium fuel in my 1.5 to see if it helps with the kangaroo problem. It doesn't.
Premium fuel as others have said will not aid performance in any car rated at 95 octane. Previous posts have said that Shell v power fuel has superior additives, so I take the point and will use super now and again. Thanks for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts