Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just got my tow bar fitted (factory one from VW). Can anyone tell me how to remove the tongue/ball for when I’m not using it? I removed the pin but nothing happened so I must be missing a step. Photo of part number attached.
Font Material property Parallel Number Paper

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
Hi everyone I just got my tow bar fitted (factory one from VW). Can anyone tell me how to remove the tongue/ball for when I’m not using it? I removed the pin but nothing happened so I must be missing a step. Photo of part number attached.
View attachment 4215
A photo of the actual towbar would be handy 🤷‍♂️🤔

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
Sorry I never noticed you're Australian 🙈
Different towbar than over here.
You have the safety pin removed it looks like you need to pull the bar out from the other side & the towbar drops down?

·
Registered
441 Posts
this tow bar is not the one that comes from the factory on the T-Roc, the original has a small key to remove it, however what should you do to remove it when it is not necessary, you have to remove the brake from the shaft first and then just pull down

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Bec,

I have the same towbar fitted to my T-Roc in Australia. There are probably a couple of shims on either side of tongue where it goes vertically into the towbar bracket; these are to eliminate or reduce movement of the tongue when towing.

To remove the tongue first remove the retaining clip then tap the tongue down with a hammer, small mallet or something similar. You may heed to do it multiple times and with a little bit of force, just don't belt the he'll out of it.

When you reinstall the tongue to tow something you will probably need to put the shims back in to stop the tongue rattling, it is a tight fit so tapping it upwards with a hammer will help.

If you got the genuine VW wiring harness your car will recognise your trailer lights, adjust gear changes, turn on off rear parking sensors and multiple other things. If you have a powered tailgate then it will only release the latch when the button is pressed from within the car. I believe it does this in case there is anything on the trailer that would impede the upward progress.

Hope this helps.
Dougal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Bec,

my experience with the Aus-spec tow bar is the same as Dougal’s - depending on the anti-rattle shim installation, it can be pretty snug fit and takes some effort to remove.

The black loop mentioned by Seal is for safety chain connection (mandatory in Australia).

Reactions: Vernerbongo2
1 - 10 of 10 Posts